Author Topic: Ezell v. Chicago, 7th Circut, big win for gunnies  (Read 5425 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Ezell v. Chicago, 7th Circut, big win for gunnies
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
Ezell v. Chicago, 7th Decides - REVERSES District, REMANDS for grant of injunction
http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/9C0NWF4M.pdf

We reverse. The (lower) court’s decision turned on several legal
errors. To be fair, the standards for evaluating Second
Amendment claims are just emerging, and this type
of litigation is quite new. Still, the judge’s decision
reflects misunderstandings about the nature of the
plaintiffs’ harm, the structure of this kind of constitutional
claim, and the proper decision method for evaluating
alleged infringements of Second Amendment rights.

On the
present record, the plaintiffs are entitled to a preliminary
injunction against the firing‐range ban. The harm to their
Second Amendment rights cannot be remedied by damages,
their challenge has a strong likelihood of success on the
merits, and the City’s claimed harm to the public interest is
based entirely on speculation.
=D =D =D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Quote from: hoffmang;6722226
This is a huge win.

It:

1. Creates a circuit split between Nordyke and Ezell.

2. Adopts the 1A irreparable harm standard meaning that we're going to be able to get TRO's or preliminary injunctions against laws that infringe the right to keep or bear arms.

3. Adopts strict scrutiny in everything but name.

4. Invalidates most of the newly revised ordinance.

5. Puts the en-banc 7th in a fun place.

6. Requires the evidence that lots of us has been saying is required to regulate the 2A. Realize that LCAV/CSGV/Brady et al now have to actually spend real money to fund real studies to find actual causation to have any attempt of making an ordinance/law stick. Sunnyvale would need to spend $25K to $75K creating a study of actual harm to pass an ordinance restricting an FFL - for example.

Preliminary injunctions are not final... but... They are un-final in name only. If you win a PI, you're going to win. Now, this may take a subtly different course because they changed the law, but the core concept here is that Chicago loses.

I have a hunch what SAF has in store for us, and damn its going to be fun!

This case begins a trend I expect a lot of. We create precedent out of California that we then dare California courts to create circuit splits on!

#WINNING!

-Gene
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Ezell v. Chicago, 7th Circut, big win for gunnies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
This indeed is shaping up to be the REAL MEAT AND POTATOES that Heller paved the way for.  =D

The other good thing is that even if the court is someday packed with liberal collectivists, there's going to be ever more prior case law that's going to be harder and harder for them to reverse on or dismantle.

Win.

I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
SAF filed for an injunction today to stop the State of Illinois from enforcing the ban on concealed carry.

Ezell gave the precedent that "bans in all but name" will no longer pass in the 7th Circuit.  If a range ban impacts the core of the Right then a total carry ban certainly does as well.

Note also that the Supremes required MD's response to Holbrook's Writ asking "Does the RKBA described in Heller include carry for self-defense outside the home?" on or before July 15.  In the process of ruling against the plaintiff in that case the MD Supreme Court insulted the Supreme's Heller decision in general and Scalia in particular for "being vague".

The anti's days of saying carry bans are "reasonable" are coming to a middle.

If USSC comes down saying carry is part of the RKBA and intermediate-ish scrutiny applies then HI, NJ, MD and the other May(= No in practice) Issue states will be scrambling.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:44:01 AM »
As predicted Heller was just the first crack in the dam.  The chickens are coming home to roost.

Apologies for the poorly mixed metaphors.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »
Apologies for the poorly mixed metaphors.

How about "first crack in the henhouse" or "the salmon are coming home to roost"? ;)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51:07 AM »
How about "first crack in the henhouse" or "the salmon are coming home to roost"? ;)

Salmon come home to spawn, and chicken no make good crackhead.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »
actually, chickens coming home to roost is a good thing. if they didn't you would have to go out and round them up. I have tried chicken herding-not easy.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
actually, chickens coming home to roost is a good thing. if they didn't you would have to go out and round them up. I have tried chicken herding-not easy.

Why do I suddenly have Yakety Sax going through my head?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
SAF filed for an injunction today to stop the State of Illinois from enforcing the ban on concealed carry.

I saw that last night.

Illinois bans open and concealed carry. A win on this topic does not mean IL will get CC. But might get OC, or whatever compromise IL legislature can come up with.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
Person A: "You may strike out the shepherd, but you will NEVER strike out the sheep.  Or scatter them."

Person B: "Or words to that effect."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
I saw that last night.

Illinois bans open and concealed carry. A win on this topic does not mean IL will get CC. But might get OC, or whatever compromise IL legislature can come up with.

If we get the injunction, we might go straight to Constitutional Carry.   If that happens the legislature will have a very hard time trying to come up with legislation that reduces that, since it will have been ruled a "right".

Unless the Chicago Dems get smart and pass HB0148 before that happens.  Then they can point at "reasonable regulations" with a system in place that doesn't restrict the right.

The Chicago Dems are very much between a rock and very hard place.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
I saw that last night.

"Does this gun make me look fat?"

I'll take open carry.  

The Chicago Dems Devilcrats are very much between a rock and very hard place.

Good.  Best place for 'em, short of jail.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:29:17 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »
hopefully Judges will soon get tired of the typical hijnks.

They saw right thru it this time, Chicago was so cute, no ranges allowed but you need range time to own, oh you're on you're way to the range with a gun? go straight to jail evil gunnie, it cant leave your house.

Now ranges may be as protected as the 2A!

I can not wait for blameberg to get the same treatment as rahm

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
gets more interesting!
http://volokh.com/2011/07/08/ezell/

Reading the comments on that make my head hurt :facepalm:.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:02:41 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
This also could be the first crack to allow national concealed carry with just your state's permit or whatever they call it.  Or even better no permit needed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!