Author Topic: The APS McGyver thread  (Read 29654 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The APS McGyver thread
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »
Okay folks. I know we've got a serious collective knoweledge of how to Mcgyver solutions to problems with unique and sometimes every-day materials.  We've had a few threads on this matter before, but they're buried in the archives.  This one is getting a sticky.

I'll start.
Cyclists: 
Carry half a roll of cloth first aid tape in your bike kit.  It has a number of uses, limited only by your imagination.  Secure broken cables, repair torn handlebar tape, patch a torn shirt, secure a bandage. 
Once on a century ride, my rim tape let go.  This caused the backs of the spoke holes in the rim to wear through 3 tubes.  First aid tape to the rescue.  Another time, someone took a nail through the tire.  The hole was large, and when inflated, the tube stuck through the hole.  First aid tape on the inside of the tire prevented this and allowed them to ride home.

Another cyclist tip: Mark your seatpost height with a couple wraps of electrical tape.  Then, when you drop your bike off for maintenece, you know exactly where to put it back to (Most shops will pull your seatpost up and clamp it to the workstand). 

Like Miracle whip? Save the plastic jars it comes in now. Peel the label and then wash them.  They make great storage containers for all manners of things.

Next time you polish off a small jar of peanut butter (in the plastic container), peel the label, wash it.  Cut a slot in the top big enough to pass a quarter through.  Put it in your cup holder of your car as a convinent place to drop change. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The APS McGyver thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
Label removal from jars, etc.:  Keep the label dry, put hot water inside the bottle.  The heat softens the glue without the water softening the label. They can usually then be peeled right off without the label coming apart in annoying little patches.

Heat works for peeling lots of labels off stuff.  Like bumper stickers.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
a roll of cloth first aid tape
I have that in my range bag. If we are out plinking with .22 pistols or rifles that have box mags my wife wraps her loading thumb so that it doesn't get sore from magazine feed lips.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »
If it can't be fixed with duct tape, bailing wire or WD-40 then use det chord to blow it up.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »
If you want to carry duct tape, but not the whole roll, wrapping ten or so yards around an old 7mm or similar case makes for compact transport. Always fold the last 1/2" or so over on itself, and you can quickly and easily grab the tape.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
A Bic lighter works just as well.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
I have that in my range bag. If we are out plinking with .22 pistols or rifles that have box mags my wife wraps her loading thumb so that it doesn't get sore from magazine feed lips.

Nice.  I've used duct tape for that before.

Moar winning, duh:

Bottled water will freeze without blowing up (usually).  Before a trip where you'll want water and long term ice, freeze about half a case of bottled water.  Drop those to the bottom of the cooler, put in the unfrozen ones, then ice.  Your ice will last longer as the frozen bottles take a while to thaw.  
For larger coolers, a couple of empty 2 liter soda jugs filled with water and then frozen.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
Gallon milk jugs work great for real large coolers.

When camping with a camper that has a bathtub don't use it for taking baths, fill with ice and beer.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
If you go to the doctor or a lab, ask for the foam trays the blood-draw tubes come in, they make great reloading trays.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »
Baby wipes in a range bag work well for cleaning crap out of a gun, cleaning a minor wound, washing dirt and grime off your hands, wiping sweat...etc

Need something that will reach nooks and crannies while cleaning guns or other crapola?  Go to the med supply place and buy 100 pack of the long q-tips, like the ones they use to do throat cultures...

Want to get deceased bugs off of the nose of your car?   Use a dryer sheet dipped in water...

Need firestarters?  Use used dryer sheets....In the "old days", I'd cram a bunch of them in a 35mm film case...

Need a way to safely store boresnakes to take to the range?  I use empty 100ct .22 plastic boxes.  They stack real nicely, just like the rest of your .22 ammo...

One day at a time.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
Bottled water will freeze without blowing up (usually).  Before a trip where you'll want water and long term ice, freeze about half a case of bottled water.  Drop those to the bottom of the cooler, put in the unfrozen ones, then ice.  Your ice will last longer as the frozen bottles take a while to thaw.

For singles, like bike bottles, fill them about halfway and wedge them in the freezer at an angle so the water isn't quite at the cap.  When you're ready, pull them out and top them up with cold water.  That gives you more ice than just dropping cubes in, and you still have water available from the start without waiting for the bottle to thaw.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
Need to sharpen a knife? Don't have a sharpening stone? Use a ceramic cup or a plate, turn upside down and the unglazed "rim" can be used to sharpen with.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Another firestarter idea:

Dryer lint. Nothing catches a spark like it. Just clean out the filter and toss it in a ziploc bag before camping.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
basic first aid kit.

Superglue and Paper Scotch medical tape.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
Emergency stain removal: Keep a few of the individually-wrapped Wet Wipes in a pocket or pouch. If you drip on your clothing, use one immediately to scrub out the stain. It'll usually take it out quickly and dry fast. It also keeps the stain from setting before you wash clothes.

Extra battery carry: I carry a spare pair of CR123's for my Inova X5 in my cell phone pouch. I wrap several rubber bands (various sizes including butcher bands) around the sides and the posts to insulate and protect them. Keeps the batteries fresh, and gives you spare rubber bands when you need them.

Great pouches: Check out the local pawn shops & thrift stores for old bank bags (the vinyl ones that zip at the top). They come in several sizes (including small, change-pouch sizes); and they're practically indestructable. I use the small ones to carry change and other items (safety pins, small tools, etc) in my pocket and use the larger ones for ammo bags and gun cleaning supplies. Easy to stuff in a gun safe, too.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
Another firestarter idea:

Dryer lint. Nothing catches a spark like it. Just clean out the filter and toss it in a ziploc bag before camping.

Bonus:  Dryer lint mixed with fat from the jar you use for collecting bacon grease and such. Heat it up a bit, spoon it into an old egg carton, shove some dryer lint in there.

Never tried it, but a brother did.  The idea seems sound.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
Dryer lint soaked with bacon grease in a paperboard egg carton should spontaneously combust simply by exposure to air and/or sunlight. [popcorn]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:46:06 AM »
cloth first aid tape in your bike kit.

Anything it can do, hockey tape can do better. And it's available in tactical black.  =)  It can also be handy for wrapping tool handles.

I don't know if this is on-topic or not, but when you remove a plumbing fixture that hooks up to a 3/8", threaded shut-off valve (or two), the valves don't always shut off completely. Have a couple of 3/8" female caps with you, with size 00 rubber washers inside them.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
Tubeless tire flat and off the bead? Won't take air? Wrap a length of rope around the tread, tie a knot in the rope so that you can use a stick/bar to twist the rope and push the sides of the tire onto the bead.

In a dire emergency you can spray starter fluid/ether into the tubeless tire and ignite the ether. That will expand the tire enough to seat the bead and put enough pressure in it to allow normal inflation. Use extreme caution with that method as it can set the trailer house that the flat tire is attached to on fire. Much hilarity can ensue if title to the trailer has just passed from you to the guy trying to put out the fire by throwing dirt on the flames.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
Fire starter:

Shove a 9 volt battery into a pad of steel wool.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Oops!  Almost forgot!

Firestarter:

Clear ice from a pond or puddle may be shaped into a lens with the heat of your hand.  It doesn't take much effort  to form a lens good enough to ignite tinder.

For those who want to try this at home, boiled distilled water frozen in the bottom of the right bowl is quicker.

Betting I can start a fire with ice has won me more than a few drinks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:18:16 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »
Old hunting sock sewn down the middle for magazine-banging-around-and-getting-scratched-up-and getting-all-dirty-and-gritty preventers:

Can use smaller sock for single mags.

Gillette razor blade cartridge carriers for .38 SPL 5-shot J-frames:

Not a speedloader, but it's flat and beats carrying loose cartridges around in your pocket.

Quickie homemade canvas pouch with shoelace tie and mag pocket:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:45:52 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
Need to sharpen a knife? Don't have a sharpening stone? Use a ceramic cup or a plate, turn upside down and the unglazed "rim" can be used to sharpen with.
My grandparents did that all the time.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
Large cat litter plastic containers make really good bouys.  Smear Plumbers Goop in the cap and screw on tight.  Spray paint red.  I recently replaced one that I had tied to an auger in the bottom of the lake so I knew where it was in the spring to anchor my swim platform.  It has been through 4 winters of ice and was still mostly floating this spring.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
Tubeless tire flat and off the bead? Won't take air? Wrap a length of rope around the tread, tie a knot in the rope so that you can use a stick/bar to twist the rope and push the sides of the tire onto the bead.

I actually do this on a rather regular basis, mainly for smaller tires such as lawn mower, utility trailers, etc. It does work indeed.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!