Author Topic: Where do you find meaning in your life?  (Read 13302 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Where do you find meaning in your life?
« on: March 28, 2005, 07:06:57 PM »
I can't seem to find any right now, and it's killing me. So where do you guys find meaning in your life? How do you feel that you have a purpose? What is it that is larger than yourself that you can give yourself wholly to?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Chris

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:16:42 PM »
Holy crap... how much time do you have?
Ok.
In no particular order:
Wife
Friends
House

Time wounds all heels my friend.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 07:38:15 PM »
I've always wanted some cause, something great to give myself wholly to. Is that a symptom of simply not wanting to think for myself? Is it a vestigial need for God? (Whom I have found) Is it a search for the right occupation or woman or what?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Darkmind

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »
My quest for the holy grail is what keeps me going.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

wasrjoe

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 08:52:40 PM »
I've always wanted some cause, something great to give myself wholly to. Is that a symptom of simply not wanting to think for myself? Is it a vestigial need for God? (Whom I have found) Is it a search for the right occupation or woman or what?
It is, in my opinion, just a basic human need. We have to identify ourselves some way. I went through the same thing for some time. I tried to be a musician... just not motivated enough. Tried to be a good boyfriend/husband... well, I just don't have a way with women, so that hasn't panned out. I looked for a career for awhile and nothing seemed to show itself. I used to be a very active Christian, but now I'm an atheist/agnostic, depending on how my tea sits in my belly. I've always enjoyed reading, but never found a subject I was interested enough to become an expert in.

Then I found the Air Force. I am waiting to be shipped in July. Life is good. I don't care about girls anymore. (Well, I'm still a guy, but I don't fret over them.) Everything else in my life is secondary now, and because of that, so much better. I have a future, I have a plan, I have a purpose, and I have approval. (From those that it matters to me, at least.) I'm doing a good thing, too... something people call unselfish, yet it's something that I want to do.

You just have to find what's right for you, what fulfills you. When you find it, don't ask why, just grab onto it.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:53:07 AM »
When I awoke on Mar 16, after being on a respirator for a week for acute respiratory failure (double pneumonia, liver and kidneys shutting down), I saw what gives my life meaning.

They were gathered around my bed. Wife, family, friends.

When the Reaper comes a callin', all the things you've done and all the neat stuff you owned could be rolled up and hung on the outhouse wall.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TMM

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 03:09:56 AM »
i'm just a kid, not even out of school, so life in general keeps me going. oh, and owning and buying guns. and CCW-ing. having a wife, no kids. keep the population down. like darkmind, i too want a Barrett... better get one before they're illegal becuase a single-shot sniper rifle that weighs somthing like 20 pounds that uses ammo that costs 2 bucks a pop is a "terrorist weapon"...

~TMM

Beren

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 06:26:05 AM »
Meaning?  Haven't had any since the ex left.

Jason

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:26:35 AM »
In the eyes of my son.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 09:44:24 AM »
I gave up on that concept a long time ago.

I'm just marking time and enjoying it as best I can.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 09:56:17 AM »
Well to be honest I'd have to say people I meet everyday and get a smile from this being old and new friends, family, strangers, people I barely know, coworkers and whomever. Just kind of makes me feel that I am here for a reason or some cares that I am here.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 09:58:18 AM »
Wife, family, friends.
Everything else is secondary.  The only meaning in my life is to be the best person I can be to those people and nothing else.

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 10:01:58 AM »
My life goal.  To save up enough cash to buy a decent amount of land, and then built my own house.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Pebcac

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 10:27:52 AM »
My wife and children.  They're why I get up in the morning.  Whether I feel happy or not on any given day, God put me here to provide for them, and that I will do as best as I'm able.

I used to look for the great "thing" or "cause" to dedicate my life to, but that doesn't happen to everyone.  It's just as important to be one of the guys who works for a living and raises a good family.  Without that, there can be no society.
Problem exists between computer and chair.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »
Meaning? Purpose?

Don't worry, your purpose will find you, rather than the other way around .  Be patient.  Sometimes your purpose is not a big thing.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

spacemanspiff

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 10:40:33 AM »
I can't seem to find any right now, and it's killing me. So where do you guys find meaning in your life? How do you feel that you have a purpose? What is it that is larger than yourself that you can give yourself wholly to?
arent you like, 15 yrs old or something?

teenagers arent supposed to have any meaning in their lives. too busy fighting with puberty and stuff like that.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 10:41:59 AM »
Life simply is.  The meaning comes from your sincere attempts to leave life better than you found it.

Shush, spiff!
To the stars!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
My suggestion?

Find some volunteer work, perhaps with people who are less fortunate than yourself.

I've found that nothing is better for helping re-establish perspective.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »
I find it in my work.  It doesn't mean much to me, but it does to the people I do it for.  I don't even like my work a lot of the time, but doing it right is better than doing it wrong.  We're just here.  We might as well do good things.  I don't know that there is a universal cosmic meaning to life, but we can create our own purposes or reasons for getting up and going each day.  If you become good at doing X, Y and Z, and others come to rely on your ability to do X, Y and Z well, you are of use to those folks and have a purpose.  If you don't like it, do something else.  Mix in some self-gratification, like a day a the range or big steak and some tasty brew, and that's pretty much all there is to it.  If you become too self-indulgent, and quit becoming useful to others you'll lose the sense of purpose.  If you're young, don't worry about it too much, like jamz said, it'll probably find you and it may not be very big.
For entertainment purposes only.

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 01:04:32 PM »
I gave up on that concept a long time ago.

I'm just marking time and enjoying it as best I can.

sounds good ta' me....

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 01:17:27 PM »
Only because I can't believe no one else said it:

Cheesy

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 01:22:28 PM »
Then what is the question?

And, don't say, "multiply six times nine!"
To the stars!

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 01:31:36 PM »
As far as what gives it meaning, I don't know. Its life, it doesn't have to have meaning. We only get so long here and what we do or make of it is 99% up to us.

What scares me more than anything is dying without feeling like I've lived enough or done enough. Or worse yet, waiting to die. Someone I know died this week, mostly because he wanted to, and that just blows my mind. I'm not afraid to die, but I don't want to waste the life I have.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »
42 is the answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »
A groan of tedium escapes me, Startling the fearful.
Is this a test? It has to be, Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.
But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along
This tedious path I've chosen here
I certainly would've walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.

tool - the patient
Wear a Yellow Armband!