Author Topic: Hold on!!!!!!!  (Read 12092 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Hold on!!!!!!!
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
Just went through a roughly 5.8 Richter earthquake here on the east coast (centered in Mineral, Va)

All sorts of coverage on Fox.  They are saying fed sites in DC are being evacuated.

Devine retribution?

I'm OK - more vibration than anything else.  Nothing fell off the slelves.

More later if anything important opens up.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Hold on!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
More later if anything important opens up.

Like, say, a giant chasm that swallows up Sodom on the Potomac? Hey, I'm allowed at least one day a year of optimism. Bonus points if there is brimstone involved.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
How big was the one in Colorado that I saw reports on?  I haven't yet read any just seen headlines.

Maybe someone or something is trying to tell us something.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Like, say, a giant chasm that swallows up Sodom on the Potomac? Hey, I'm allowed at least one day a year of optimism. Bonus points if there is brimstone involved.

Either that or a portal to The Old Ones has been opened up.  More news if it happens.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
Oh, hell!  Now it's up to 6.0!

Talk about your hyperinflation.

stay safe.

The following describes the typical effects of earthquakes of various magnitudes near the epicenter. The values are typical only and should be taken with extreme caution, since intensity and thus ground effects depend not only on the magnitude, but also on the distance to the epicenter, the depth of the earthquake's focus beneath the epicenter, and geological conditions (certain terrains can amplify seismic signals).

Magnitude Description Earthquake effects Frequency of occurrence
Less than 2.0 Micro Micro earthquakes, not felt.[12] About 8,000 per day
2.0–2.9 Minor Generally not felt, but recorded. About 1,000 per day
3.0–3.9 Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 49,000 per year (est.)
4.0–4.9 Light Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely. 6,200 per year (est.)
5.0–5.9 Moderate Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings. 800 per year
6.0–6.9 Strong Can be destructive in areas up to about 160 kilometres (100 mi) across in populated areas. 120 per year
7.0–7.9 Major Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 18 per year
8.0–8.9 Great Can cause serious damage in areas several hundred kilometres across. 1 per year
9.0–9.9 Devastating in areas several thousand kilometres across.
 1 per 20 years
10.0+ Massive Never recorded, widespread devastation across very large areas; see below for equivalent seismic energy yield.
 Extremely rare (Unknown)

(Based on U.S. Geological Survey documents.)[13]

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
ANOTHER excuse for Obama to use for the poor state of the economy . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:08:54 PM »
The one in Colorado was 5.3.  Maybe something figured it would destroy DC with an earthquake before Irene had a chance.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
ANOTHER excuse for Obama to use for the poor state of the economy . . .

No one has blamed Bush yet?

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Hmmm... if the one in CO and the one in VA shake things up enough, maybe it would set off the New Madrid, which would of course, be...

FISTFUL'S FAULT.

Someone else beat me to that the last time a discussion of quakes came up, but I was on my game this time.  >:D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »
Any chance that the horrendous piece of chicom marble was somehow totally and accidentally, uhh, dynamited, somehow, by the earth quake? Totally on accident like. Really.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
JFK Airport shut down.  No info on rail lines or Interstate highways, but then folks who could report are probably buried under tons of federal regulations and forms to be completed before the news can be released.

Cell towers and land lines are disrupted, but the TV stations are able to get the speculation and rumors out without problem.  DC Fire Dept is Twittering all about it.

Now Fox is trying to explain that the difference between 5.0 and 5.9 is "a thousand times more powerful".  Guess they forgot how all them exponents things work.

stay safe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
The country is angry that some nasty old Chinese granite got installed in The Mall, instead of some of the lovely granite or marble typically quarried in Colorado.

So, the Earth shakes to try and dislodge this flea-speck of rock that disgraces our Capitol.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
No one has blamed Bush yet?

Bush = Fistful?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »
Any chance that the horrendous piece of chicom marble was somehow totally and accidentally, uhh, dynamited, somehow, by the earth quake? Totally on accident like. Really.

Dang.  kgb beat me to it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 02:16:31 PM »
Hmmm... if the one in CO and the one in VA shake things up enough, maybe it would set off the New Madrid, which would of course, be...

FISTFUL'S FAULT.

Someone else beat me to that the last time a discussion of quakes came up, but I was on my game this time.  >:D

If the New Madrid went it would really screw things up, including Fistful

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »

Where is Devoni and the detchord supply?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
Obama has announced it was Bush's fault

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:07 PM »
Fox is trying to explain that the difference between 5.0 and 5.9 is "a thousand times more powerful".  Guess they forgot how all them exponents things work.

stay safe.

Journalist math consists of counting words and column-inches. Don't confuse them.

Edited for typo. I blame the Droid.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:23:06 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Obama has announced it was Bush's fault

The shaking was felt on the Martha's Vineyard golf course as Obama was just starting a round.

He's demanding a mulligan both for the hole and for the economy.

stay safe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
He's demanding a mulligan both for the hole and for the economy.

stay safe.

He could resign today.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »
Local (Richmond VA) radio is reporting that both nuke plants in the state were taken off line as "standard precautionary procedures".  North Anna plant is just a few miles from the supposed epicenter.

stay safe.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
It is being reported that this was not an earthquake....

It was just the value of the dollar hitting rock bottom as a result of Obama and his policies.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »
I felt it pretty strongly in Chantilly, VA.  Wifey (at home in Manassas) said a couple pictures fell off the wall and the china hutch was rockin' pretty severely.  No damage otherwise. 

Chris

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
My friends working in Charlottesville, VA reported that they are being asked to leave their 3 story office for a few hours so the building can be expected. They told me it wasn't very much of a rumble and don't expect anything to come of it at their location.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
Metro Earthquake Update 1

As a result of a 5.8 magnitude earthquake in the Washington, DC area:

As of 1:59 p.m., all trains are operating at 15 mph.
Metro personnel are conducting track inspections of the entire rail system.
There are no reported customer injuries at this time.
Customers should expect significant delays on Metrorail until further notice due to the reduced operating speed.

News release issued at 2:34 pm, August 23, 2011.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"