Author Topic: Hawaiian sues Governor, Police Chief over gun rights violations  (Read 7813 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
A Honolulu resident has sued the Honolulu Chief of Police and the Governor for violating his civil rights regarding firearms.

Here's the link:

http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dtuhn490u8tk1djsbhv4dokbh0&topic=1825.msg13913;boardseen#new

Not much else to say, it's all in the link, but I've been watching the Hawaiian situation for a while.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry, 230RN

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Hawaiian sues Governor, Police Chief over gun rights violations
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:39 PM »
Christopher is on my facebook friends list, he is a good guy, I sure hope he prevails - unlike that kwikurnu guy, he runs his legal strategy past the SAF/calguns folks to make sure he isn't messing up some other case.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:47:29 PM »
If Hawai'i goes from "may (effective no) issue" to "Shall" California is going to start looking wayyyyy out of step in the 9th Circuit.

It'll also make it clear that only the Northeast and Illinois (for a bit longer) are stuck in the bad old days on carry.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:19:59 AM »
He's just a tad late. Shepard V. Madigan is due to heard (and we're waiting for our motion for a preliminary injunction), soon and the state has already contradicted themselves and lied about state law in their preliminary responses.  This is based on the Ezell decision Seventh Circuit.

It can one of two ways:

Either the Ninth Circuit tips it's hat to the Seventh and agrees with Ezell and Hawai'i (along with every other state in the Ninth Circuiit) gets shall issue. 

If they disagree with the Seventh and uphold may issue, then we end up with a split circuit and we go back to the Supreme's and having defined "keep", they'll  now get to define "bear". 

Pray for the continued health of Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, Alieto and Kennedy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
It'd be shorter to just type "California" than "every other state in the 9th Circuit". ;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »
True, but if they follow Ezell  [Cliff's notes on the ruling= "Judges, Treat the 2nd just like you would the 1st.  The closer you get to the enumerated right the stricter the scrutiny."]  then that might also force interstate-reciprocity and places like Las Vegas to honor permits issued in the rest of Nevada, etc....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »
I have a NV ccw, never heard of anyone having a problem in Vegas, so yer saying Vegas doesn't honor my ccw because its issued in northern NV? I've had a NV ccw for nearly ten yrs I think-never once heard that