Main Forums > The Roundtable

Societal compulsion to quote movies

(1/332) > >>

AZRedhawk44:
Looking at Monkeyleg's "Unforgiven" thread, I see two folks decided it would be high times to begin quoting memorable lines from that movie even though it had nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

I understand that this is an APS tradition known as "thread drift" and despite being counterproductive to constructive dialog, it is fun...

But what is it that makes people randomly begin quoting from pop culture references once one is simply mentioned?  I see this is real life quite often.  Mention a movie or book and someone delivers a line from it, even if your point of referencing the movie had nothing to do with discussing its content.

Tallpine:

--- Quote ---But what is it that makes people randomly begin quoting from pop culture references once one is simply mentioned?
--- End quote ---

You're supposed to wait until the movie is mentioned before you quote from it  ???

:O

Ben:
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

makattak:
A man's got to know his limitations.

Perd Hapley:
Most people tend to the banal. Some of us more than others. Waddyagunnadoo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version