Author Topic: Societal compulsion to quote movies  (Read 493909 times)

robear

• friend
Re: Societal compulsion to quote movies
« Reply #775 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »
"We're men of science, you know. We believe in the establishment of a biological order through the maelstrom of physical and chemical chaos."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #776 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
"You have some skill with a blade."

"The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #777 on: September 23, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »
"Bomb, this is Lt. Doolittle. You are NOT to detonate in the bomb bay. I repeat, you are NOT to detonate in the bomb bay!"

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #778 on: September 24, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »

"The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them."

Best LOTR quote  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #779 on: September 24, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
Best LOTR quote  =)

Best meaningful quote.

"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"

...is my favorite.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #780 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

"If you want him, come and claim him!"

Always makes me think "Molon Labe!"

The prominence of Arwen in Jackson's LoTR was an unexpected and not unwelcome alteration to the original tale.  Glorfindel wouldn't have been nearly as intriguing as a hot she-elf with the will to go toe-to-toe with The Nine.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #781 on: September 24, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Best LOTR quote  =)

Just re-watched the trilogy this weekend. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #782 on: September 24, 2012, 04:30:45 PM »
Best LOTR quote  =)

Witch King of Angmar "Fool. No man can kill me..."
Eowyn: "I am no man..."
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #783 on: September 24, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
Witch King of Angmar "Fool. No man can kill me..."
Eowyn: "I am no man..."

So annoyed by that scene. The book's version would have been FAR better.

In the movie she was afraid. She was seeking death. In the book when he threatened her, she laughed at him and then delivered that line, before the fight. Not after she had him at her mercy.

Completely messed up her character. (And made her weaker, in fact.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #784 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
Annoyed? Really?

She was not seeking death, nor was she afraid. Resigned to a certain fate, perhaps. (As she commented on, before) She realized, after Meriadoc stabbed him with a blade of the west, that she could perhaps kill him. It was a leap of faith, and a moment of certainty.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #785 on: September 25, 2012, 12:53:54 AM »
Annoyed? Really?

She was not seeking death, nor was she afraid. Resigned to a certain fate, perhaps. (As she commented on, before) She realized, after Meriadoc stabbed him with a blade of the west, that she could perhaps kill him. It was a leap of faith, and a moment of certainty.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I'm pretty sure she was seaking "death and glory" on the battlefield.  She couldn't get Aragorn, and so figured that was her best shot at renown.  Being resigned to a fate would have seen her follow Theoden's order to return to Meduseld and take up the throne after his death.  A fate she saw as just managing the remenants of a failed kingdom until the death blow from Mordor finally came.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #786 on: September 25, 2012, 01:04:04 AM »
"Leave me alone, snake!"

"Oh, but you are alone.  Who knows what words you've spoken to the darkness.  In the bitter watches of the night, when all your life seems to shrink, the walls of your bower closing in about you, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?  So fair, yet so cold, like the morning's pale spring still clinging to Winter's chill."

"Your words are poison!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #787 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »
Annoyed? Really?

And you are commenting on the movie. The book made it clear she was explicitly seeking death. Merry even comments on it while they are riding to Gondor. When at Gondor, the Nazgul landed and tried to threaten her for being to stupid as to attack him for no living man could kill him.

She laughs in his face, removes her helmet and delivers "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him." The Witch King of Angmar is the one who is afraid even if just for a moment as he now has doubt.

The movie version made her weak and afraid while fighting him. She should have been (effectively) a viking woman, a valkyrie of types. She gloried in battle. In the movie, she only taunted him when he was about to die. Yeah, still a good line, but the entire context and importance of the line is lost.

When she awakes inside of Gondor, she is depressed because she didn't die. (And because Aragorn chose Arwen and not her, which is why she wanted to die in the first place.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #788 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
NERD FIGHT !!!!!

:P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #789 on: September 25, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #790 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #791 on: September 26, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
 :rofl:

Ok, I'm going to read the book again. Haven't read the books since the first movie. Not conceding the win. I'm bypassing it.

=D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:40:35 PM by grislyatoms »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #792 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
Well, a old TV show not a movie but I thought it pithy;
"Never trust a purring tiger."  ~~ Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Inspector Lewis Erskine in THE F.B.I.  1967.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #793 on: September 27, 2012, 12:47:08 AM »
Our arrows will block out the sun.

Then we shall fight in the shade!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #794 on: September 27, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »
Why, Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #795 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »
"Don’t touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn’t understand things with alloys and compositions and things with… molecular structures."
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #796 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
"Don’t touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn’t understand things with alloys and compositions and things with… molecular structures."

Groovy!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #797 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:15 AM »
And you are commenting on the movie. The book made it clear she was explicitly seeking death. Merry even comments on it while they are riding to Gondor. When at Gondor, the Nazgul landed and tried to threaten her for being to stupid as to attack him for no living man could kill him.

She laughs in his face, removes her helmet and delivers "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him." The Witch King of Angmar is the one who is afraid even if just for a moment as he now has doubt.

The movie version made her weak and afraid while fighting him. She should have been (effectively) a viking woman, a valkyrie of types. She gloried in battle. In the movie, she only taunted him when he was about to die. Yeah, still a good line, but the entire context and importance of the line is lost.

When she awakes inside of Gondor, she is depressed because she didn't die. (And because Aragorn chose Arwen and not her, which is why she wanted to die in the first place.)
It is tough to make that work when they use CGI to make these huge super strong bad guys with 500 lb maces or giant swords. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #798 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:42 AM »
"I told you not to look into the light."
"Yeah, right."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #799 on: October 13, 2012, 02:13:07 AM »
I don't know much about boats, but I'd say that one's upside down.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.