Author Topic: Societal compulsion to quote movies  (Read 493848 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Societal compulsion to quote movies
« Reply #975 on: September 01, 2013, 12:50:27 AM »
There's something fishy going on here, and I don't think it's the chicken.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #976 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
My engine's on fire! Can you believe that? And I was in such a good mood!

"Always"
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #977 on: September 01, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »
"Always"

Is that where that line is from?  :facepalm:

I hated that movie.   =(  The only good part was the opening scene with the PBY and the two guys fishing in the boat.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #978 on: September 01, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
Being a warbird nut, I like "Always" for the airplanes.  Cats, A-26s, and round engines. What's not to like?  Don't give a fig for the story.
Never did get to fly in a Cat or A-26.  Passed up a chance on a B-25 flight once to my endless regret.  Would have been fun, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:16:04 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #979 on: September 01, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
Is that where that line is from?  :facepalm:

I hated that movie.   =(  The only good part was the opening scene with the PBY and the two guys fishing in the boat.

I was one of the three guys who really liked that movie.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #980 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
I was one of the three guys who really liked that movie.

Well, I've actually fought fires and been pretty darn close to slurry drops.  It ain't nothing like that.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #981 on: September 02, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #982 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
"Always"

Never heard of it. I guess it couldn't be much good, since Dreyfuss is in it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #983 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
I liked it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #984 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »

Never heard of it. I guess it couldn't be much good, since Dreyfuss is in it.  

I liked it.

"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #985 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
Is Richard Dreyfuss still alive?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #986 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

No, he died when that airplane blew up.  But his ghost is still looking over people's shoulders  =D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #987 on: September 03, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
Does anyone know which famous actor made their final film appearance in that movie?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #988 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
Does anyone know which famous actor made their final film appearance in that movie?

House Jameson?  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #989 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
House Jameson?  [tinfoil]

Nope. Slightly younger and much sexier.
Charles Babbage

erictank

• friends
« Reply #990 on: September 03, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »

He gave one of the better response tweets on the Batfleck incident just recently, so yeah.

Tweet: Richard Dreyfuss        ✔ @RichardDreyfuss 
"You read for a part, you feel good about it, you feel confident, then they cast Ben Affleck."

Other goodies at io9.com/the-50-greatest-tweets-about-ben-afflecks-casting-as-1188521731.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #991 on: September 03, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Nope. Slightly younger and much sexier.

:O  You actually KNOW who House Jameson was? :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #992 on: September 04, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
:O  You actually KNOW who House Jameson was? :laugh:

IMDB knows  =D
Charles Babbage

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #993 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

Audrey Hepburn

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #994 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
Audrey Hepburn

Thanks! I forgot about her playing the angel to Richard Dreyfus in the movie.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #995 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me." [spit] "Blow."

"Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all."
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #996 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:31 PM »
Thanks! I forgot about her playing the angel to Richard Dreyfus in the movie.

I never did get the haircut thing  ???

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #997 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
I liked it.
Four, then.  Me too.  Goodman made the show.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #998 on: September 05, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »
Níor lig mé m'fhear chéile isteach i mo leaba liom aréir. Chuir mé fuinneamh air a chodladh i - Ó, i mála codlata! Mála codlata!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #999 on: September 05, 2013, 06:19:20 PM »
"I don't want to be a pie.  I don't like gravy"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB