Author Topic: Gun (Nerf) buy back for kids.  (Read 4215 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Gun (Nerf) buy back for kids.
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/east-side/article546659.ece

Ah wow. 

The idea was simple: Don’t let kids get used to firing weapons, even if they’re toys.

“It makes them too comfortable, holding that gun,” said Leonard Lane, president of Fathers Armed Together to Help, Educate, Restore and Save. “Then there’s no fear holding the real gun when they get older. We want to put that fear back into our children, teaching them what guns can do, how they affect their community.”
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Gun (Nerf) buy back for kids.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
I agree, but for a different reason.  As a shooter and someone who wants his kids to enjoy the shooting sports, I prefer they don't get in the habit of pointing guns at people for recreation.  Yes, I know those are toys and they are very different than real guns, but I fear it could cause children to develop bad habits.

How often do people on gun boards brag about holding hair dryers, drills, caulk guns, etc with their finger off the trigger or while maintaining good muzzle discipline?  This isn't by accident.  Toy guns that kids use against each other teach exactly the opposite of what we consider safe gun handling.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Oh, and I'd love to have one of those nerf guns, but don't because it sends the wrong signal to my kids.  I do take my oldest shooting from time to time. 

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
teaching them what guns can do, how they affect their community

Like defending against bad guys of all types   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
OMG. That's utterly ridiculous. Not to mention that teaching kids that guns are the problem rather than the people using them, how about the idiocy of giving them pizza and soft drinks? In a society where a huge percentage of youth are overweight, you're going to reinforce the idea that food is a reward for behaving in a way you want them to behave? Really?

How about teaching them to make good decisions and to use their brains instead of following the pack?

I was glad to see that most of the comments were opposed to the idea as well. That's somewhat encouraging. But I also noticed that you can't comment if you're not a registered user of the website. And that the writer of the article didn't know the first flippin' thing about guns (or about writing for that matter since you can't buy guns from streets):

The guns being bought back from the streets weren’t 9 mm handguns or Glocks.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:43 PM »
Leonard Lane, president of Fathers Armed Together to Help, Educate, Aggravate, and Demoralize.

Fixed that acronym for ya Leonard :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »
So does using toy guns while playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians send the wrong message?  ??? As long as they are taught properly about how to respect real guns I don't think they are getting any bad habits.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »

Horse cuckie.  Is there any of us who hasn't played with a squirt gun?  Some of us who are older can remember when squirt guns looked like the real thing.  I have two detailed replicas, 1911 and a 357 revolver, that fired a plastic pellet.  This is garbage.  We never had any problems with pointing guns at another person.  There is play time and there is real time.  Kids were taught the difference.  It's the absence of firearms that is causing kids to act careless and mimic what they see on tv.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
Quote from: ignorant journalist
The guns being bought back from the streets weren’t 9 mm handguns or Glocks.

9 mm handguns and Glocks are, like, my two favoritest types of guns. I can never decided whether I like 9 mm handguns better, or Glocks. Sometimes I carry my Glock, and sometimes I carry my 9 mm handgun. Sometimes I carry both types, because you never know which one will be best for a given situation, the 9 mm handgun or the Glock.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:15:13 PM »
9 mm handguns and Glocks are, like, my two favoritest types of guns. I can never decided whether I like 9 mm handguns better, or Glocks. Sometimes I carry my Glock, and sometimes I carry my 9 mm handgun. Sometimes I carry both types, because you never know which one will be best for a given situation, the 9 mm handgun or the Glock.

My thoughts exactly.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
And they are going to buy a coffin and bury the guns because they are "bad things".

[barf] [barf]

Really ?

My son and I spent the weekend at our club's annual Zombie Shoot.  We had over 230 shooters (Almost all had an evil black rifle, a pistol and many also brought shotguns as well.)  We had about 60 volunteers and NOT one person was hurt,, not even a scratch.

All those guns must have been defective.

(And my son hit 2 of the only 8 tannerite targets that got hit on one of the stages).

See my FB page for what a worn out Zombie Killer looks like.

Again, we had far too much fun.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
My son and I spent the weekend at our club's annual Zombie Shoot.  We had over 230 shooters (Almost all had an evil black rifle, a pistol and many also brought shotguns as well.)  We had about 60 volunteers and NOT one person was hurt,, not even a scratch.

I helped my daughter "compete" in her first bowling pin shoot this Spring.  She had fun and even knocked a pin off the table.  She knows what guns are for, what they can do, and that they aren't toys.  We still don't have toys guns in the house (she has a BB gun though).

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
When I was a kid, I had a regular arsenal of toy guns . . . including some that looked startlingly real.  I also was introduced to real guns at a young age.

I never confused the two, any more than I confused my toy rubber "commando knife" with the knives in the kitchen.

This war on TOY guns is downright asinine. (In the linked story, it mentions a 14 year old who turned in a toy . . . but by that age, I was well past playing with toy guns. So if I'd still had one in the attic or garage, I might have turned it in for a pizza and shirt, too . . . except now it being 2011 and with Internet access, I probably would have checked out Ebay first for a better deal!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
If I can find the Nerf belt-fed at the local store I'm buying one.  If I can find 2 or 3 I'll buy them all so my kids can have then too.
Formerly sumpnz

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
Quote from: Buffalo Hoplophobe
We want to put that fear back into our children.....

That pretty much says it all right there....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.