Author Topic: $16 Muffins Found at Justice Department Meetings  (Read 8162 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
$16 Muffins Found at Justice Department Meetings
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-20/-extravagant-spending-16-muffins-found-at-justice-conferences.html

U.S. Justice Department agencies spent too much for food at conferences, in one case serving $16 muffins and in another dishing out beef Wellington appetizers that cost $7.32 per serving, an audit found.

In April 2008 the Justice Department issued policies and procedures designed to control conference spending.
The new report found that agencies were able to “circumvent meal and refreshment cost limits” when conferences were planned under cooperative agreements, a type of funding awarded by a Justice Department agency.

How nice that these douchebags are so inventive in circumventing the controls on their previously extravagant spending habits.
And you wonder why taxpayers do not trust any governmental agency who are overwhelmed with their own importance.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friend
Re: $16 Muffins Found at Justice Department Meetings
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
I don't know about you, but I'd love to try a $16 muffin.  But I can't remember ever having a muffin I'd pay 16 dollars for.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
Having done a lot of public speaking at medical and legal meetings at fancy hotels and being part of planning committees that arrange these events, I have had some exposure to the cost of hotel catering and services.  It can be shocking to say the least.  $ 500 to rent a computer projector for half a day; $ 250 to set it up, $ 3 for a can of Sprite, $ 14 for a piece of cheesecake, etc.

Not to excuse the subject of the original post, but I can easily see paying $ 16 for a muffin at a conference.  In my experience, these prices would not be out of line in downtown NYC, Washington DC, San Francisco, Atlanta or other big cities and hotels catering to the business convention trade.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Unobtanium Muffins Found at Justice
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
What were these muffins made of, unobtanium?   [popcorn] 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
"I've gotta know what a fi-dollah shake tastes like."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Unobtanium Muffins Found at Justice
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
What were these muffins made of, unobtanium?   [popcorn] 

Pot muffins.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »
in 1992 we got 125 dollars a gallon for coffee plus 18% gratuity at the mayflower.  buff wings were 1.25 a wing the small bottles of coke were 2 bucks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »

Only way I am eating a $16 muffin is if it is personally delivered by Mila Kunis!

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
Only way I am eating a $16 muffin is if it is personally delivered by Mila Kunis!

Werd.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
I am disappoint that no one has called for muffin delivery by Christina Hendricks.  I would take her over Ms. Kunis any day.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
I'd be happy with a muffin delivered by my wife. But then again I like her cooking and I know what kind of um "results" ill get later.
Look, tiny text!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »
I think that I found one.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
I don't know about you, but I'd love to try a $16 muffin.  But I can't remember ever having a muffin I'd pay 16 dollars for.

They are delicious!

But what about a muffin you'd have someone else pay 16 dollars for?  :P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »

I see $32 worth in that pic alone.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
Just read a bit in the ASJA mag, they have their annual conference in Manhattan because that's where the editors and publishers are that they want to bring to the writers. They figured the coffee service in the hall was costing $20/cup and the plated lunch at $80 a head, hotel glad to do a cold plate buffet instead as long as they still charged the $80.  Those deals are worse than the mob. Used to go to trade shows, whatever the convention extortion moving and facilities company made out similarly. Want an extension cord? $$$$ Move all your stuff? $$$$$ Set it up too? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  We self installed thank you very much.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
you self installed in nyc? the unions allowed that?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:21:26 AM »
Several decades ago when my Dad was still working, he said they quit displaying at trade shows held at Chicago's McCormick Place - the facility insisted that you would have to hire the on-site union electricians for everything, even to change a light bulb in your display.

Even though they were on-site, you STILL were billed for round/trip travel time from wherever their home office was, mileage, two (2) electricians, fuel surcharge, etc. It could easily run $500.

To change an <expletive deleted> light bulb you could walk over to and change yourself in 30 seconds.

Exhibitors used to watch out for union "observers" and change their own bulbs . . . but then, overnight, bulbs started disappearing from displays.  Bleeping crooks.  [ar15]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
I am disappoint that no one has called for muffin delivery by Christina Hendricks.  I would take her over Ms. Kunis any day.
That would be more than $16 each. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »

I know!  I find this amazing that no one got their legs broken!

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
i was at a food show in new york . electrician was on a step ladder high up changing a bulb.  i put my foot on bottom rung and held ladder to steady it and some union puke came over ranting "you can't do that! you're not union!" i wanted to pop him one

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
i was at a food show in new york . electrician was on a step ladder high up changing a bulb.  i put my foot on bottom rung and held ladder to steady it and some union puke came over ranting "you can't do that! you're not union!" i wanted to pop him one
Then he can get his lazy butt over there and hold the ladder. 

Complaining that someone else is doing work that you are too lazy to do or won't do is ridiculous. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
Then he can get his lazy butt over there and hold the ladder. 

Complaining that someone else is doing work that you are too lazy to do or won't do is ridiculous. 

its deeper than that.  his job(the guy on the ladder) would require a helper to hold ladder etc so the union doubles its take from dues.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 11:22:42 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/09/23/140735433/those-muffins-did-not-cost-16-each-hilton-says?ft=1&f=1001

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=140724272

There is apparently more to MuffinGate than meets the eye.

"The muffins didn't really cost $16 because we gave them a bunch of comps" doesn't really cut it. The muffins were still listed seperately as $4200.  And as others have noticed, it appears that they broke federal regulations when they contracted the food along with the conference room. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

I would like one blueberry and one lemon poppyseed delivered, please.