Author Topic: Hotwheels question  (Read 1425 times)

client32

• friend
Hotwheels question
« on: March 29, 2005, 10:54:54 AM »
The ebay thread has me asking this question.

Why are "Redline" hotwheels special?

Are there other hotwheels out there that have this much value?

Next time I go to my parents, I'm going to have to see what I can profit off of from my youth.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

crt360

• friend
Hotwheels question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
Most of them are pretty old.  I have a few from when I was a kid.  What makes certain Hotwheels valuable is the interest of collectors, usually involving age, rarity and frequently something personal to the individual collector.  There are not that many that are ridiculously valued, but there are quite a few that might be worth $10-$50 to the right people.  A lot of the old, beat up, played with ones I've owned aren't worth more than a few bucks.
For entertainment purposes only.

spinr

Hotwheels question
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 03:27:59 PM »
Most any original Redline Hot Wheel is desirable/collectable.  Those in good condition especially so.  Most of them got played with and beat to hell in the process, others buried or otherwise destroyed.  Consequently, there aren't that many of them left.

There are certain other newer Hot Wheels that very valuable.  Mostly limited/special edition cars or promotional cars.   There's also the Treasure Hunts; basic style cars with special paint and (usually) rubber tires.  They're produced in limited quantities and randomly inserted in the cases of regular cars.  Desirability varies depending on the particular casting, but nearly all of them bring somewhat of a premium.

Among the thousands of cars that Hot Wheels produces, every now and then some of them will have slightly different features (color, tampo decal, wheel style, etc.) because of the nature of production.  There usually aren't very many of these and they tend to be more desirable.

Like most anything else, the fewer of them there are or the harder it is to find, the higher the collectability, and value/price.

I personally have somewhere on the order of 2000-2500 Hot Wheels and about 1000-1500 other diecast, Johnny Lightning, Muscle Machines, Jada, etc.  Yes, that's right, about 3500-4000 little toy cars, total! shocked

I don't have any original Redlines, though.  They were before my time, and I just don't want to pay the exorbitant prices most of them bring for the condition they're in.  All of the affordable ones I've found have been fairly well thrashed and I don't have any interest in those.  I'm sure I'll happen upon a nice, cheap one some time though.

You may want to visit:  HotWheelsCollectors.com  You'll have to sign up to view the message board, but you can find a wealth of information on anything Hot Wheels.  Watch out for the nuts, though.  There are quite a few that take Hot Wheels much too seriously.

Wink