Author Topic: Yawn... time to deflect nooz from domestic to international zOMGfears!1! issues  (Read 2616 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/10356471/iran-says-could-deploy-navy-near-u-s-coast-report/

Yeah.  I'm real askeered of Iran. ;/

Hurry, hurry!  Throw tax money at it!  Let's pass some legislation pertaining to maritime searches/seizures of boats!  Maybe call it Patriot Act 3:  If You Don't Have Anything To Hide, We'll Sink You Anyways.

How can this possibly be the "top" headline at Drudge right now?  Rly?  It's laughable.

Keep the focus on domestic issues, nooz-peeples.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Does Iran have a blue-water Navy?  The Persian Gulf and the Med off the shores of Egypt don't really count as distant self-sustaining deployments, in my view.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Does Iran have a blue-water Navy?  The Persian Gulf and the Med off the shores of Egypt don't really count as distant self-sustaining deployments, in my view.

Unlikely to be self-sustaining. I'm betting Venezuela will provide ports for refueling, etc..
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Unlikely to be self-sustaining. I'm betting Venezuela will provide ports for refueling, etc..

Ditto. As far as I can recall their UNREP capability is more or less non-existent. Most likely if they want to pull this off they'll have to get port access, probably from a variety of our local neighbors that are rather peevish with us, Cuba being another possibility. I suspect only a few of their blue water vessels would have the legs to make the trip and they'd be stretching it at that. Lemme see if I can find my copy of Jane's Fighting Ships...

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Jane's Fighting Ships, 2004-2005 - Iran

Strength of the Fleet
Submarines - 3
Midget Submarines - 1 (3 in building)
Frigates - 3
Corvettes - 2 (3 in building)
Fast Attack Craft, Missile - 20
Large Patrol Craft - 8
Coastal Patrol Craft - 123+ (12 in building)
Landing Ships (Logistic) - 7
Landing Ships (Tank) - 6
Hovercraft - 6
Minesweepers, Coastal - 3
Replenishment Ship - 1
Supply Ships - 1
Support Ships - 7
Water Tankers - 4
Tenders - 13

Presuming they top off their bunkers at say, Egypt, and made a beeline straight for Havana, the only major vessels with the legs to make the trip would be their three aged Kilo-class submarines, with a 7 knot cruising speed range of 6000nm.

Their next longest ranged vessels are: 3 Alvand (Vosper Mk5) class guided missile frigates (range 3650nm), 2 Bayandor (PF 103) class corvettes (range 2400nm), and 10 Kaman (Combattante II) class fast attack craft, missile (range 2000nm).

Even if they tried to say, top off at Freetown, Sierra Leone, and then made for El Guamache, Venezuela, their frigates would still not have the legs for making the short mid-Atlantic hop (nominally 3013nm) solo.

Interestingly I was mostly incorrect regarding their UNREP capability (though their actual proficiency at such maneuvers in a blue water environment remains seriously questionable). The Iranian's possess a grand total of three vessels that could potentially serve as oilers: 2 AORLH Fleet Supply Ships, range 3500nm at 16 knots, displacement 4,673 tons full load and 1 AORH Replenishment Ship, range unlisted, top speed 21.5 knots, displacement 33,014 tons full load. For a practical comparison a US Navy AOEHM Fast Combat Support Ship (Sacramento class) has a nominal full displacement of 53,600 tons and a range of 10,000nm at 17 knots or 6,000 nm at 25 knots.

So in final summary about Iran driving around our coast.... *yawn* think you guys could kill some FARC drug smugglers while you're down here? I'm gonna be over there taking a nap.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
Somewhere near Norfolk right now the crew of a 688i is praying that the Iranians put their Kilos in the Atlantic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:31:52 AM by dogmush »

Regolith

• friend
Somewhere near Norfolk right now the crew of a 688i is praying that the Iranians but their Kilos in the Atlantic.

Need some target practice, huh?  =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth