Author Topic: More painting questions  (Read 2054 times)

DJJ

• friend
More painting questions
« on: March 29, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm going to do some painting myself once it warms up, but my situation's different. My garage is sheetrocked (including mud & tape), and that's it. No texture, with a fresh sheetrock paper surface.

I want it (the garage) to be bright - nice, bright white light, for good working visibility. I don't expect I'll be doing anything more than the usual garage things: working on cars, reloading, simple woodworking, etc. in addition to storing cars.

Any suggestions as to the proper shade of white and amount of sheen? Will a pure white cause eyestrain? Does it need texture, or can I get away without it? Does a fresh sheetrock surface need primer? What kind of surface prep?

cfabe

• friend
More painting questions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »
Yes, you should prime. I wouldn't bother with texture. I wouldn't do much for surface prep other than wipe down the walls with tack cloth if they're dusty. I wouldn't try to use any solvents or water on bare drywall. Bright white should be fine, I have a white garage with 3, 8 foot dual tube commercial florescent lights and it's great.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
More painting questions
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:16:19 AM »
Good advice from cfabe. I would also add that as far as gloss, stay away from the extremes. This will be a somewhat dusty environment and you want to be able to clean the walls, so you want a low-drag surface. Stay away from a flat finish. Also, full gloss will give some glare when you least expect or want it.  Go with a satin or semi-gloss finish.

TarpleyG

• friend
More painting questions
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 04:18:11 AM »
Just about any shade of white should be fine.  I would recommend a good, scrubable egg-shell/satin finish so you can wipe off any stuff that get's on it.  That will give you a longer life than a flat paint would.

Greg

Jason

More painting questions
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 04:22:17 AM »
Primer is a must over any fresh sheetrock or old paint!!
When I painted my garage, I just went with a white semi-gloss.  
No texture needed at all.  Just prime, dry and paint.  Second coat if you feel sporty.
I used a sprayer for part of it, and was amazed at how much paint it went through.  Use a roller and brushes for the corners.  A standard garage should use about 6-10 gallons primer, about 5 gallons of paint.  I don't think there is a need to get wrapped up around the shade you use in the garage.  A pure white probably would be fine.  Make sure to check for any drywall damage, before you get to it.

DJJ

• friend
More painting questions
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »
OK, thanks for the tips.