Author Topic: Keeping applications on a separate partition?  (Read 1396 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Keeping applications on a separate partition?
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »
I am setting up a new Win 7 box, and to be more geekier, I want to put app software on its own partition. Is there anything to this, or just install the stuff on a separate partition? Cuz, that is what I am doing.

Also, MS Security Essentials doesn't seem to give me the option on which drive it's installed to. And least not when I install it the easy way, by downloading the .exe file from File Hippo. I guess I'll leave it on C, unless there's an easy way to change it.

I DID Google this, but I mostly came up with articles about keeping documents on a separate partition, partition editors, boot partitions, and so on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Keeping applications on a separate partition?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
MS Security Essentials doesn't seem to give me the option on which drive it's installed to. And least not when I install it the easy way, by downloading the .exe file from File Hippo.

Why would you do that, as opposed to downloading it from MS?

Keeping applications on a separate partition?

My snide answer would be to set up separate partitions for /usr and /bin on initial setup.

Win 7

I'm not sure there's much point with Windows.  If things get hosed enough to require reinstalling, you'll be redoing the app installs too.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:51:26 PM »
Why would you do that, as opposed to downloading it from MS?

cuz i getz all my other apps from the hippo, i guess

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »
If you really want to be cool:
WIN7 Enterprise 64bit
8GB of RAM

C Drive: 128GB SSD

Run your OS, Program files and Most your user's library there

2nd HD: 500GB WD Velociraptor

Redirect this part of the user library (my doc, music, videos, pictures)

Your computer will freaking scream!

Also I don't get why folks partition HD's anymore unless they are running two or more different OS on the machine. Drives are cheap, drop another one in.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:17:08 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
Well, obviously, if I could afford to be cooler, I would try.  :laugh: 

What do you mean about redirecting part of the library?

Also I don't get why folks partition HD's anymore unless they are running two or more different OS on the machine. Drives are cheap, drop another one in.
For those of us that are happy just to have a 250 GB SATA drive that we found in a junk computer we paid good money for, they aren't that cheap. Not when partitioning is free. I can split my 80 Gig system drive in half, and still have plenty of room for an OS on one side. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
Thanks. I guess that is something that requires an SSD?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
no it can work with any hard drives. just need more than one place to move things to

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »
At least keep your data on a separate partition, so when you reinstall the OS you can leave your data untouched.

Some apps can be installed on a different partition and will run without using any system DLL's.  Think open source projects like Open Office and VLC.  But where you install the applications generally doesn't matter, it's the data files that are hard to replace.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:47:47 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 12:21:54 AM »
At least keep your data on a separate partition, so when you reinstall the OS you can leave your data untouched.

Data is on separate physical drive.  :cool:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »
More often than not, folks partition when they shouldn't.

Having separate partitions for C: and D: doesn't do anything for you in most cases.  In most cases, folks end up with a C: drive that is too small in a year or two and they have to transfer the D: data somewhere external, fdisk the thing and re-size the partition or reload the OS onto one big C: drive single partition.

Linux/Unix can make some use of it ( "/" is /dev/sda1 and "/home" is /dev/sda2 for example), when you want to be able to have multiple different root systems and home remain consistent between them.  Or similar applied uses.

SysAdmins and DBA's in a Windows environment might deliberately isolate D: from C: on the same physical disk or array so that if D: is filled up (a file share is 100% filled, or a database grows to consume the entire volume) it doesn't crash the server (servers don't like it when C: is full).  But, more often than not, their original design called for separate physical volumes for C: and D: and for budgetary reasons they had to share a physical volume and turn it into multiple logical volumes to get the system stability issue of isolating a filled data volume from causing server crashes.

I say, unless you have a concrete, known reason why a physical disk needs to be partitioned into multiple logical volumes.... don't.  The most common result is insufficient drive space on the C: drive from bad planning, or I/O bottlenecks from creating multiple logical volumes on a single large RAID5 array (rather than a RAID1 for C: and a smaller RAID5 or RAID1 for D:).  You can even see head-seek I/O bottlenecks if you have a single drive evenly partitioned 50/50 for C: and D: on a SATA/IDE interface.  Remember, this all traces back to a Cylinder/Head/Sector map on the drive and physical location on the platter.  SATA/IDE drives cannot read asynchronously, so a single fetch operation has to complete for one file before the head can move on to the next file request (whereas SCSI/SAS drives can read asynchronously, and they can read portions of disparate files on in inbound swipe, then other portions of multiple disparate files on an outbound swipe and reassemble them in a faster operation).  So, if the order of file reads is:
C:\Windows\player.exe
D:\FistfulsApp\fault.mp4
C:\Windows\always.dll

Then the head has to read 100% from the C: partition (the inner half of the disk), then the D: partition (the outer half of the disk), then the C: partition again (the inner half).

Whereas if it was all on the C: drive, it would merely be a function of how NTFS structured the files and if it was fragmented or not (which is also of issue in the C:/D: situation).  The files are much closer together from a physical perspective on the disk and less movement is needed to retrieve them.

However, if they were separate physical drives... it would be scorchin' fast.  The C: and D: reads would be happening at the same time since there are two heads to fetch the data.

Multiple volumes are an EXCELLENT thing to have.  As long as they are on different physical disks or arrays.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!