Author Topic: Architects come up with Zombie-proof housing  (Read 5484 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Architects come up with Zombie-proof housing
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Architects come up with Zombie-proof housing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
I like the floating designs, as it seems that zombies don't like water.
Last years winning design is winning.  Except I'd go big. 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Custom-Tanker-98347621

Winning in the comments section

dollarmayhem

@Truck loading: These houses will be useful when the Occupy Wall Street protesters come to your town.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-places-to-stay-after-the-zombie-apocalypse-2011-10?op=1#ixzz1bpWA9jYD
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
Wouldn't digging a deep moat around your house and surrounding it with a set of fences basically resolve your zombie problem?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
^^^ Would the moat be full of flaming hydrocarbons?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
Wouldn't digging a deep moat around your house and surrounding it with a set of fences basically resolve your zombie problem?

No real entertainment appeal. Zombies are fun to kill.

Although I like the spinning zombie power house.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
I'm kind of partial to the Lifebuoy (yep, Jamis, you knew I'd go for that one) and the Centipede. Mobility is good. I can see problems with most of the others.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
i like the ss huckleberry, and how they make use of zombies.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
I like the Centipede. My next choice would be the Maglev house.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

IMO, it really depends on the population density of potential infected in your AO.

If your residence gives enough evidence, visual, sounds, smells, of fresh living humans*, the zombies may pile up to the point that such barriers are crossable.

Mobile, or placed in a body of water with a current, or simply large enough to prevent effective stacking is always going to be best.

*There may also be a self-reinforcing zombie effect, where even in the absence of any direct evidence of living humans, enough zombie activity in an area may be a clue to others to congregate, simply instinctually assuming there are living humans nearby. Much like seagulls behave.
I promise not to duck.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:57:51 AM »
I like the Centipede. My next choice would be the Maglev house.

My first thought when I saw the Centipede was that it could be converted a bit outside to look like Serenity. I like it!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »
IMO, it really depends on the population density of potential infected in your AO.

If your residence gives enough evidence, visual, sounds, smells, of fresh living humans*, the zombies may pile up to the point that such barriers are crossable.

Mobile, or placed in a body of water with a current, or simply large enough to prevent effective stacking is always going to be best.

*There may also be a self-reinforcing zombie effect, where even in the absence of any direct evidence of living humans, enough zombie activity in an area may be a clue to others to congregate, simply instinctually assuming there are living humans nearby. Much like seagulls behave.

This is where your rifle and massive stockpile of ammunition comes in.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
No real entertainment appeal. Zombies are fun to kill.

Although I like the spinning zombie power house.
If we made it a "spinning Occupy Wall Street" power house you'd have green energy AND provide jobs - perhaps the first ever - for the OWS crowd.

Downside is that zombies probably have better hygiene and don't smell as bad . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Centipede looked cool but not sure it would be practical.  Maglev if you could it to work and maybe actually some form of propulsion on it also would be nice.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »

As the zombies crush against your moat, at some point they start pushing each other in.  As the bodies stack up in the moat, the ones behind can cross the moat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
As the zombies crush against your moat, at some point they start pushing each other in.  As the bodies stack up in the moat, the ones behind can cross the moat.

Exactly.

And Micro's suggestion to just shoot them is counter productive, if they pile up faster than you can shoot them. Or you simply run low on ammunition. Or, the pile just starts more slowly.

Although honestly, physical decay, and decimation of the healthy population to provide fresh infections means that in any zombie scenario, one only need hold out for a month or two, perhaps the duration of a winter, before it's over.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »
If we've learned anything from TV, it's that zombies exist in a state of suspended decay.  [barf]
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
If we've learned anything from TV, it's that zombies exist in a state of suspended decay.  [barf]

So did Ted Kennedy for all those years.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »

See, I always knew he was different from his brothers.  Being a mindless zombie in a state of suspended decay desiring to kill and eat tender wimmins' flesh does explain a lot.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
Large quantities of alcohol tend to arrest decay . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain