Author Topic: WAHOOO!  (Read 2971 times)

sumpnz

• friend
WAHOOO!
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »
Washington voters approved by 60/40 (in initial returns anyway but it was enough for the local news to call the results) I-1183.  This was the second time in as many years we've had a ballot initiative to privatize the liquor business in the state.  Currently distilled spirits can only be sold in state run or contracted stores.  Selection sucks, prices are a lot higher than in other states, the stores are a pain to find, and are run by .gov union employees that really don't care (most of the ones I've seen anyway).

I'm hoping this will mean a better selection of single malt Scotches in the future.   :cool:

A few things I definitely did not like about it though.  It restricts liquor retailers to stores >10,000sf (not all has to be liquor related - e.g. grocery stores with overall sf over 10k count).  This was to combat the complaints last time around that mini-marts and gas stations would be selling liquor.  Mind you they already sell beer and wine.   ;/

Another thing I don't like is the licensing fees and tax rate on the liquor.  They're going to charge 27% of gross revs on liquor sales, and the license fees are quite high (don't remember the exact number right now).  Also if there aren't enough retailers that sign up to total something like $150mil in license fees in something like 3 years the ones that did sign up will have to cough up the difference.

Overall though I still think it's an improvement over the state monolpy on liquor sales. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: WAHOOO!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:43 AM »
I was a beer drinker when I lived in Seattle in the mid 80's-didn't know how rough you guyd had it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
As a Pennsylvania resident, I feel your previous pain, and applaud your small victory.

Pennsylvania, the state that brought you paying for teaching employees how to smile and breathalyzer vending machines.

http://reason.com/blog/2009/03/16/update-in-story-about-pennsylv
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/pennsylvania-wine-vending-machine-has-kafka-esque-security-measures/

Edited to add: don't even get me started on our beer laws.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 08:21:17 AM »
As a Pennsylvania resident, I feel your previous pain, and applaud your small victory.

Pennsylvania, the state that brought you paying for teaching employees how to smile and breathalyzer vending machines.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/pennsylvania-wine-vending-machine-has-kafka-esque-security-measures/

Yea what's up with that?!?  (I know I am getting you started on it.)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
I am going to be interested to see just how much, if any, the passage of 1183 contributes to our state budget.  I am hoping that it does make a positive net contribution.  Since I buy maybe one or two bottles of booze per year, it won't have much impact on me personally, but it could well be that if I see something interesting while wandering the aisles at Costco, it will go into the basket.

I did not buy off on the ads portraying teenage carnage on our roads with more liquor retail outlets.   

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
but it could well be that if I see something interesting while wandering the aisles at Costco, it will go into the basket.  

Oh, you will. Costco has fantastic deals on premium liquors, as well as wine and beer. It was always ironic to me that Costco's home state wouldn't let them sell liquor.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
I did not buy off on the ads portraying teenage carnage on our roads with more liquor retail outlets.   

The "No on I-1183" ads were aweful.  And even a cursory glance at other states with privatized liquor sales showed it to be bunk.  But, we see the same thing anytime someone proposes loosening the gun laws or allowing for concealed carry.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »

I don't like the vending machine idea, but the idea of being able to go see a police officer outside a bar and check to see if I was okay to drive yet would be nice.  If I did that now, they might try to arrest me for PI.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge