Author Topic: WTF, mailing chickenpox suckers?  (Read 7658 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
WTF, mailing chickenpox suckers?
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:41:23 AM »
Parents fearful of vaccinations are being warned by a federal prosecutor that making a deal with a stranger who promises to mail them lollipops licked by children with chickenpox isn't just a bad idea, it's against the law.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/06/prosecutor-to-parents-mailing-chickenpox-illegal/?test=latestnews#ixzz1d1EAS4pp

You don't want your children to have a vaccination but you think having them lick a sucker that you have no clue where it has been is a good idea.  Really?  WTF is wrong with some people today?  :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: WTF, mailing chickenpox suckers?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
But ......

But ......

But, like aren't the vaccines man-made and thus artificial and like full of stuff that's not natural?  So why can't I just, you know, get my kid infected with the real virus at full strength, and let their little body build up an immunity that way?

Did these parents not even rtead the comic-book version of the story that explained that Jenner used cowpox - a close but weaker disease than smallpox - to vaccinate folks? :facepalm:

Did these parents miss the part where the vaccines are made with "weakened" virii, or even dead virii? :facepalm:

I am old enough to remember when polio was around.  Watching kids get sick with what looked like a really bad case of the flu, then get worse with joints that almost bent backwards and needed steel braces to keep them from doing that. Kids winding up in iron lungs because their bodies were so paralyzed they could not breathe on their own.  And if they survived, needing a different set of braces to prop them up because they had lost almost all their muscle strength.  In what seemed like it was overnight there were no more cases of polio - just a whole lot of kids rubbing their sore arms when someone had shoved a needle in.

I also remember when whole towns were shut down when there was a measles outbreak.  When roads were closed and guarded by armed men because smallpox had broken out - it wasn't to keep folks out of the area but to prevent folks from the contagion zone from getting out until after the outbreak was over.

These idiot parents are so wound up about whether or not the vaccination has a direct causal relationship with autism that they cannot or will not see that their way of "dealing" with the issue is more likely t wind up killing not one or two kids but possibly wiping out an entire school.  If they were not so stupid tey could be terrorists - but I hear you have to know what you are doing to get that label.

I used to threaten the future ex with getting appointed as conservator over her because she was so stupid, and then sticking her in some hell-hole home for adults with a $25/month Social Security "health and comfort" allowance.  It might not be a bad idea to apply to become the conservator over some of these folks.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:30:15 AM »
Sadly, my memories are quite different.

Neighborhood kid got measles - we were sent to play with them to get the disease.

Someone got the mumps, we were sent to play and ingest the disease.

Seemed odd at the time, but we were better for it.

No allergies, no peanut issues with our kids, we are survivors!

No wussies in our generation.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »
I have no problems with my kids never needing to go through the misery of chicken pox.

The one disease I wish they would find a vaccine for or encourage the spread in young kids is a nasty bugger called 'Fifth's disease' (Human parvovirus).

I caught this from one of my kids who was in day care.
For a two week period, I wanted to die.
I've heard of other adults who had longer and more painful bouts than I did.
Kids simply get a mild fever for a day and a mild rash on their cheeks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »

Neighborhood kid got measles - we were sent to play with them to get the disease.

I figure they will eventually figure out what causes those allergies and it will be something preventable. 

I heard one show on TV speculate that a lot of asthma is an allergy to cockroaches.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:46:48 AM »
I had chicken pox as an adult.  It wasn't pleasant.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
I've had shingles. Mucho un-fun.

My doctor recommened I get a new vaccine, a booster, for chicken pox and shingles. It seems that some adults are getting those diseases again.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
I've had shingles. Mucho un-fun.

My doctor recommened I get a new vaccine, a booster, for chicken pox and shingles. It seems that some adults are getting those diseases again.

There is a theory that adults are getting shingles more often than in the past because they aren't coming into contact with kids that have chicken pox anymore, due to vaccinations.
It used to be "known" that once you had chicken pox, you couldn't get it again.  In fact, the immunity wears off over time unless you are exposed again.  The theory goes that normally you would get chicken pox as a child, and then at various times throughout your life, somehow you would come into contact with a child who has chicken pox, and your immune system would remember how to fight it and you would stay immune.  Maybe it was your own kid, or the neighbor's kid, or your coworker was exposing you because their kid had it at home.  Nowadays kids don't get chicken pox anymore, they all get vaxed for it, and adults are never being re-exposed, so they have to get re-vaxed or else wind up with shingles when they finally are exposed.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
Shingles is teh suck...and I had a mild case.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

P5 Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »

Me and my brother got sent to a chicken pox party so we'd be sick atthe same time? Easier on Mom? That would be child abuse these days.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Me and my brother got sent to a chicken pox party so we'd be sick atthe same time? Easier on Mom? That would be child abuse these days.

Unfortunately common sense practicality=/=political correctness.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »
My wife got shingles and the two kids came down with chickenpox.  My wife's case was moderate and the kids cases were mild.  My wife said she had chickenpox 5 times as a kid, verified by a doc. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
There is a theory that adults are getting shingles more often than in the past because they aren't coming into contact with kids that have chicken pox anymore, due to vaccinations.
It used to be "known" that once you had chicken pox, you couldn't get it again.  In fact, the immunity wears off over time unless you are exposed again.  The theory goes that normally you would get chicken pox as a child, and then at various times throughout your life, somehow you would come into contact with a child who has chicken pox, and your immune system would remember how to fight it and you would stay immune.  Maybe it was your own kid, or the neighbor's kid, or your coworker was exposing you because their kid had it at home.  Nowadays kids don't get chicken pox anymore, they all get vaxed for it, and adults are never being re-exposed, so they have to get re-vaxed or else wind up with shingles when they finally are exposed.

That makes sense to me, though I'm not educated enough on such matters to say so with any authority, but it passes my basic sniff test.

As for me I'm honestly not sure if I ever really came down with chicken pox.  My brothers both had at, at the same time, and I shared a bed with them, and I remember being in school with a few "mosquito bites" on my body around the same time, but that's it.  Either I didn't catch it (which seems unlikely) or my body was just really good at whipping chicken pox into order.

Note to self:  Check with mom.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
As for me I'm honestly not sure if I ever really came down with chicken pox. 

No doubt that I had it.  Pretty sure it was in kindergarten.  Might have been 1st grade but I don't think so. 

In a way I think the vax is possibly one of those things where the unintended consequences make it questionable as to whether it's even worth doing on a society level scale.  For certain folks that would be seriously endangered by the illness, sure.  But chickenpox, unpleasant though it is, isn't all that serious of a childhood disease.  And chickenpox/shingles is quite a bit more severe for adults.  And if eradicating it as a childhood disease is causeing problems for adults it might make sense to stop the vax except for people that really need it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »
My experience with the pox was in second grade, I think, and the spots showed up on a Saturday morning just as I was getting ready for a flag football game.  I was the starting quarterback.  Missed that game and it was the only game we lost until the championship game, which losing that one I blame on the coach that was put in charge when the real coach couldn't make it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/06/prosecutor-to-parents-mailing-chickenpox-illegal/?test=latestnews#ixzz1d1EAS4pp

You don't want your children to have a vaccination but you think having them lick a sucker that you have no clue where it has been is a good idea.  Really? 

Sounds legit.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
I think the FBI might take issue with mommy clubs mailing viral agents
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
Note to self:  Check with mom.

Nope, I never got chicken pox.  Slept in the same bed with two infected kids and I never got it.  Even goofier is I was the only one in school (1st grade) at the time so it was most likely me that carried it home to them.

I wonder what else I can shrug off.  I'm gonna go snort some Ebola strains up my nose.  BRB.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »
I remember measles and chicken pox, nothing quite as bad as when I climbed a poison sumac tree, that really really sucked
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
I remember measles and chicken pox, nothing quite as bad as when I climbed a poison sumac tree, that really really sucked

That reminds me of my wife's story.  As a kid, she liked to play in the woods near her house.  On one occassion she decided to build a fort using the "pretty green vines."  Yeah, you guessed it, she was using poison ivy.  She ended up in the hospital for that one.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:39:49 PM by Fly320s »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
That reminds me of my wife's story.  As a keep...

Your wife was a fortified tower in a castle?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
Shingles suck! Been there, done that 3 times now and I am still "too young" at 54 to get the danged vaccine according to the VA!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 05:56:53 PM »
A close friend HAS shingles IN HIS RIGHT EYE.
It may NEVER go completely away. He has been fighting it over a year now! Those are the worse.Peoplee with them in the eye will oftencommitt suicide it is so bad!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
Your wife was a fortified tower in a castle?  ???

That should say kid, so now it does.  :P