Author Topic: Gardening and Handguns  (Read 2829 times)

Holly76201

Gardening and Handguns
« on: March 29, 2005, 11:08:57 PM »
Since Spring has sprung here in North TX I've been working in the yard and on my Veggie garden.  I've been just slipping a .32 in  my pocket {for Fun - - Jim Croce} since I know I'll be bending, stooping, sitting, squatting, etc. and anything larger will be uncomfortable. Even anything in a holster is gonna get in between my arm and my side when I'm shoveling or raking.
So what do y'all use for protection in the yard?
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Stand_watie

• friend
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 12:30:05 AM »
Quote from: Holly76201
Since Spring has sprung here in North TX I've been working in the yard and on my Veggie garden.  I've been just slipping a .32 in  my pocket {for Fun - - Jim Croce} since I know I'll be bending, stooping, sitting, squatting, etc. and anything larger will be uncomfortable. Even anything in a holster is gonna get in between my arm and my side when I'm shoveling or raking.
So what do y'all use for protection in the yard?
I'm in Northeast texas (50 miles southeast of Dallas) and I haven't yet needed protection in the yard from two legged predators. I've got two mutts who generally give me a plenty warning when anybody is coming. I generally have a shotgun handy for predators (of my chickens) of the feathered variety and a shovel, hoe or lawnmower for predators of the scaled variety (of my chicken eggs) or venomous snakes and a broom with which to smash scorpions and black widows. I haven't found any 'good medicine' for the worst texas predator of all. The diminutive fire ant.

copperhead

Chicken snake (Texas ratsnake)
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 05:21:32 AM »
I carried a 1911 Gov't Model for Primary, 9mm BUG Yesterday While I watched the Yard guy do a complete "Spring has Sprung " major overhaul. Cheesy

I'm not in really great area at the moment...*grin*

Seriously though  the years, with or without a dog(s) to "assist" me, or good neighbors to keep tabs on one another, IWB with 1911s, BHPs, J,  K frames ( IWB or OWB) and my Keltec P-11 IWB I forget it is there and don't care what or if it is exposed to something.

Now I have helped some other folks and depends on where we are ( country vs city)  Might be shotgun nearby out in country, and a .22 for plinkin'.  Beretta 21 with the tip up bbl was a hoot with rat shot for those "evil" nuisance weeds...had to clear a spot for the hoe you understand.  Great signal for the folks up at the house to bring out more lemonade too. *wink*

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 05:36:08 AM »
Well, my "yard" is 40 acres of grass, rocks, and pine trees, and I just carry what I carry all the time inside and out: 357 Security Six in an Old World leather OWB hip holster.

Just slightly behind the hip so it isn't really in the way much.

Sometimes if I am just out walking around (not working cutting and stacking brush or something) I also grab a 22 rifle.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

spacemanspiff

Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 06:46:36 AM »
usually i set up the ol betlfed and rip off a couple bursts to scatter the hooligans that are lying in wait for me to become vulnerable.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Sawdust

• friend
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 07:04:59 AM »
Kahr PM9 or 1911 IWB at 3:30.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Antibubba

• friend
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 08:07:35 AM »
Stand Watie,

I don't know if this is "internet legend" or not, but I've heard that you can kill a fire ant colony with a five pound bag of white sugar.  They gorge on it, and since it has no nutrients, they starve from a deficiency of nutrients.  Might be worth a try.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:24:07 AM »
Glock. 22 or 21, whichever is in rotation on a given day.
Hi.

Stand_watie

• friend
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 08:49:13 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
Stand Watie,

I don't know if this is "internet legend" or not, but I've heard that you can kill a fire ant colony with a five pound bag of white sugar.  They gorge on it, and since it has no nutrients, they starve from a deficiency of nutrients.  Might be worth a try.
Probably rot their little teeth out anyway Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Moondoggie

• friend
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 09:40:42 AM »
I used to pour about a quart of gas down the fireant holes.  Seemed to work pretty well.  I think the gas fumes sink down into the tunnels and asphyxiate the little boogers.  Gawd, I hate those critters!!!!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:13:21 AM »
Quote from: spacemanspiff
usually i set up the ol betlfed and rip off a couple bursts to scatter the hooligans that are lying in wait for me to become vulnerable.
I have done gardening while carrying a belt-fed.   I'm not sure if this is a good measure of my sanity.  

At home, I usually just wear my normal CCW piece.  I found one of those leg holsters works pretty well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Holly76201

Gardening and Handguns
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »
Well, I was just curious about the rest of y'all. I live in the city in an OK, but not crime free neighborhood. Just like the security I feel having that special "tool" if I need it. When we 1st moved in we had a problem with teen poopyheads cutting thru the yard [we live on a corner lot ] They would mouth off to me when I would ask, politely, that they cease and desist. That's when I started carrying when outside. Just a precaution.

Stand_waite,
The Denton water resources board recommends several natural solutions for fire ant control that won't poison your soil. One is to boil vinegar and water and pour that on the mound. Another is garlic tea for pouring on the mound.  Compost tea is another. Diatomaceous earth or boric acid can also be used.
The only commercial product recommended is Logic, a bait that causes the Queen to lay eggs which do not mature. Another tip I got was to wait until they are moving again after Winter dormancy. To test for activeness, lay 1/2 a potato chip outside the mound and wait 1/2 an hour. If it's gone, you can start killing them.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean