Author Topic: "Shooter" movie mistakes  (Read 10616 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
"Shooter" movie mistakes
« on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
I watched the movie "Shooter" last night for probably the 20th time. The makers of the movie went to great lengths to get a lot of gun details right. There's a lot they got wrong, though, especially for important points.

Bob Lee Swagger goes to see the old gunsmith to ask about paper patching, as he thinks it's possible the bad guys took the bullet he shot at the Dinty Moore stew can and used it to shoot the archbishop. The problem with that idea is that, even if the bullet went through the can fairly cleanly, it still wouldn't be useable, and certainly not usable for the 1800 yard shot.

Near the end of the movie, he presents his case to the attorney general, who releases him. Unless I missed something in US law, the attorney general cannot unilaterally dismiss someone charged with murder. Even if it's possible, does anyone think is likely?

He rescues FBI agent Nick Memphis by shooting the bad guys with a .22 rifle with a scope and a plastic bottle for a suppressor. Even forgiving the plastic bottle suppressor myth, the bottle would have obscured his view through the scope.

Also, near the beginning and the end of the movie are scenes where he's walking about 1/100th mile an hour. At that speed, wouldn't a person fall over?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: "Shooter" movie mistakes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
I liked how the senator flew a chopper up to the snowfield but the good guys walked
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
How about when he adjusts his telescopic sight after he puts his finger on the trigger?

Nevertheless, that's a great movie!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »
Can we make this about general movie mistakes?

I found it amusing in "The Last Samurai", which takes place around the time of Custer's Last Stand, that in one scene with a photographer, the image on the viewing glass of the camera was black and white. Really? Do people really think that the image would be black and white? Why? Why would people who allegedly MAKE MOVIES think that, and nobody catch it? Nobody cares, that's why.

If I ever make a movie, I'm hiring an nerd consultant from the internet for every conceivable aspect of the movie.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »
I found it amusing in "The Last Samurai", which takes place around the time of Custer's Last Stand, that in one scene with a photographer, the image on the viewing glass of the camera was black and white. Really? Do people really think that the image would be black and white? Why? Why would people who allegedly MAKE MOVIES think that, and nobody catch it? Nobody cares, that's why.

It would be more sepia?  ???  Not my field.

I just watched the first half-hour of Transformers 2, so my disbelief suspension is shot right now - mainly over that thing where they think Chai T. Laboof can carry a film. Also, ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
The image on the ground glass would be the scene the camera is about to record once the film is inserted, meaning real life, which is in color (unless you're a dog or a deer).

My guess is that someone was lazy and just digitally put the black and white image on the ground glass because that's the image they made, or it was creative license to help the viewer sense that this was an old camera, even if it defies all logic.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
Is this the "Shooter" starring Mark Wahlberg?  If it is, that is a horrible movie. Wahlberg didn't even try to act, he was stiff and uninteresting throughout the movie.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:10 AM »

Near the end of the movie, he presents his case to the attorney general, who releases him. Unless I missed something in US law, the attorney general cannot unilaterally dismiss someone charged with murder. Even if it's possible, does anyone think is likely?

I thought the AG was more or less the big Fed equivalent of a DA.  And the DA can dismiss a case against anyone, or choose not to prosecute.

I'm sure a legaleagle will be along shortly to clarify, but the prosecuting attorney in a criminal matter has the power to drop charges at any point of a criminal proceeding.  And the AG is the biggest/baddest prosecuting attorney in the land.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »
Is this the "Shooter" starring Mark Wahlberg?  If it is, that is a horrible movie. Wahlberg didn't even try to act, he was stiff and uninteresting throughout the movie.

Well, he IS Mark Wahlberg.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
The court scene was done right in the book, they probably altered it because it would take to long in the movie.

I guess your right about the recovered bullet-I can not remember how its done in the book.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
Meh, it is a movie done for entertainment purposes.  Getting all bent out of shape and wrapped around the axles over "minor" stuff the general uneducated public isn't going to do any good.  And sometimes will ruin an actually decent entertaining movie.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:29:07 AM »
Yeah, I know it's for entertainment, and I'm not taking it seriously. I just see things in movies and go, "huh?"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:30:47 AM »
I do at times also and then have to remember they aren't making the movie for those of us that actually know a thing or two.

They are gearing towards the mouth breathing, drooling 18-35 year old's or their girlfriends.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
Also using the old exothermic quick clot on a torso wound. My Navy/Army training always said that was horribly bad ju-ju and not to do it. Ever.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
Well, he IS Mark Wahlberg.  :laugh:

You will respect Dirk Diggler!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
It might sound trite, but the book wa wayyy better than the movie.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
It might sound trite, but the book wa wayyy better than the movie.

When aren't the books better than the movies?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:24 AM »
Also using the old exothermic quick clot on a torso wound. My Navy/Army training always said that was horribly bad ju-ju and not to do it. Ever.

No. It's okay as long as it's a through and through gut-wound. Then you take your survival Bowie, cut/knock the bullet off the end of a 7.62x39 round, dump the powder in the wound, and then as long as fire comes out the entrance and exit, you'll live.
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »
I Robot.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
For some real fun, watch a airplane film with an airplane pilot or mechanic, a hospital show or movie with an actual RN or doctor, a court film with a real judge or lawyer, a crime film with a real detective or investigator, or a computer hacker film with an actual computer programmer.

Turns out, Hollywood isn't just faking gun scenes; they're faking everything!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »

In my experience, The Posiedon Adventure was a better movie than the book.   That is the only time (IMHO) that it's turned out that way.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:49 AM »
For some real fun, watch a airplane film with an airplane pilot or mechanic, a hospital show or movie with an actual RN or doctor, a court film with a real judge or lawyer, a crime film with a real detective or investigator, or a computer hacker film with an actual computer programmer.

No, I would have never guessed. :facepalm:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

Works that way with most "news" pieces. Anytime the news reports on something I'm fairly knowledgeable about, they get many things wrong. I can only assume that is the case about the things I know very little about as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
No, I would have never guessed. :facepalm:

Well, I generally don't get any real red flags about wrong things in movies that I don't know in detail.  ???

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
Well, I generally don't get any real red flags about wrong things in movies that I don't know in detail.  ???

I missed the sarcasm button when I posted.  :lol: