Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84486 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »

I actually ranted about that myself!  It just wasn't on APS.  =) 
Detcord.  There, someone had to say it.

Because it's REVDISK. Since when do we have to remind revdisk of the many ways to secure his valuables and weapons?
Hell, he's the one WE go to for that advice.
 ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »
Because it's REVDISK. Since when do we have to remind revdisk of the many ways to secure his valuables and weapons?
Hell, he's the one WE go to for that advice.
 ;/

True that.  Rev can correct me, but I think I prefaced my rant with something to that effect.  "Now, I probably don't need to say this, but..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
True that.  Rev can correct me, but I think I prefaced my rant with something to that effect.  "Now, I probably don't need to say this, but..."

*snort* I can tell you right now, I always figured if, for some reason, I visited rev, I'meeting him at a public location and will follow in his actual footsteps, until he says I am inside the perimeter.

Momma didn't raise no fool and I don't want to be all explody.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
you can't do everything with a pickup you can do in an SUV. 

You might be surprised what one can do in a pickup  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »
When it comes to backing a trailer, the farther the wheels are from the towing vehicle the easier it is to control.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2012, 01:28:33 AM »
You might be surprised what one can do in a pickup  =D

The tailgate on a 2001 Ford Ranger is at the perfect height.    :angel:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
*snort* I can tell you right now, I always figured if, for some reason, I visited rev, I'meeting him at a public location and will follow in his actual footsteps, until he says I am inside the perimeter.

Momma didn't raise no fool and I don't want to be all explody.

I'd be tempted to shuffle in random directions, or take off in running starts to see if he turned white, or got upset, or made a lunge to stop me.

But that may be because I have four daughters, a wife, and a female dog and female cat in my house.

Death, if sufficiently sudden and physical just loses it's fear.
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2012, 02:46:54 AM »
>But that may be because I have four daughters, a wife, and a female dog and female cat in my house. <

Seriously, AJ: were you like Hitler in a previous life? That kinda karma should take something MAJOR
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:33 AM »
You might be surprised what one can do in a pickup  =D

Try a VW Bug. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2012, 05:26:16 AM »
>But that may be because I have four daughters, a wife, and a female dog and female cat in my house. <

Seriously, AJ: were you like Hitler in a previous life? That kinda karma should take something MAJOR

And to think, it hasn't even gotten bad yet. Wait until the girls hit puberty.
 :O

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »

That's when AJ will be sitting up all night cleaning his guns.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »

That is when we find AJ curled up in a corner comatose, drooling on himself.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but you also need to look at securing your .... weapons and such. Motion detector, cameras, trip wires, etc. Just saying.

Don't forget to put a freezer in the garage so you have plenty of food on hand when we come up and take over Chez Rev.  >:D

Obviously, that is not a problem:  http://revdisk.org/blog/?p=66

I'm just not posting my thoughts on physical security of my toys here on the public interwebz.

Re food, not a problem either.  Probably not a freezer, but we'll see.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
I'd suggest efficient shelving for the garage right off the bat.  I built mine out of 2x4's and osb, using drywall screws to put it together.  One man operation, but an extra set of hands is useful.

I built mine to accommodate rubbermaid bins for storage, coolers, etc.  Ymmv.  Dimensions depending on needs.  I can climb that set of shelves if there isn't a ladder handy.  Oh and I put peg boards on the ends for hanging tools.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
I'd be tempted to shuffle in random directions, or take off in running starts to see if he turned white, or got upset, or made a lunge to stop me.

But that may be because I have four daughters, a wife, and a female dog and female cat in my house.

Death, if sufficiently sudden and physical just loses it's fear.

*I* would just hit the ground.  I'm not cruel enough to save your life.

=D

But seriously, there will probably be no landmines due to local regs.

I'd suggest efficient shelving for the garage right off the bat.  I built mine out of 2x4's and osb, using drywall screws to put it together.  One man operation, but an extra set of hands is useful.

Yea, that's what I've been looking at. Maybe something other than plywood, because I wouldn't mind it looking pretty.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
Trouble with shelves is they're only as pretty as the stuff you put on 'em.  Cabinets ftw.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
Trouble with shelves is they're only as pretty as the stuff you put on 'em.  Cabinets ftw.

Shelves are much easier to build - and dirt cheap to boot.  No hinges, latches or pulls.  (Granted, this is for garage/basement utility shelves.)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Thank you, Nick Obvious. I just figure Rev's got his own place, he's got all kinds of plans, a to-buy list a mile long...

Why not contribute to the mental and budgetary mayhem with fun ideas like garage cabinets.  >:D  Besides, what better way to pick up cabinetry skills than with garage storage as a first effort?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
Shelves are much easier to build - and dirt cheap to boot.  No hinges, latches or pulls.  (Granted, this is for garage/basement utility shelves.)

Plus, I would think, for a working type garage, they would be easier for grabbing what your looking for quickly.
Also, you'd be dealing with odd shapes and such, that might not fit behind the door.

I also have always thought that peg board with hook type things look really convienient for tools and such. No digging about in a drawer or box, just snag it off the wall and get back to work.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »
True.

Plus easily accessible improvised weaponry. Rev being Rev, the garage could become the site of a pitched battle at any time.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
True.

Plus easily accessible improvised weaponry. Rev being Rev, the garage could become the site of a pitched battle at any time.
=D
Has anyone mentioned webcam?

(mearly so we can critique his form and follow through  :angel: )

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
If you want pretty garage shelves, paint them.  Cabinets are nice for some things, but for larger things and odd shaped stuff cabinets suck.  I believe in sturdy garage shelves that will hold a lot of weight.  I also like to be able to see stuff, or label bins if that's what stuffs in.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
And if built right, they'll serve as bunks for slaves/concubines in a pinch.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »

The shop comes with a massive peg board, which I've already purchased pegs for. 

Probably going to pick up a "Real Organized 74"H x 48"W x 18"D Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit".  Looks a bit better than 2x4 and plywood, and has 350lb weight per shelf load. Should be more than enough for random stuff.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
And if built right, they'll serve as bunks for slaves/concubines in a pinch.

I build mine sturdy enough that if he added an industrial grade freezer unit to the garage he could stack victims in there like cordwood.
JD