Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84484 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2012, 12:38:36 AM »

Eh, lotta friggin painting to be done.  Found a nifty putty.  It's pink, and turns white as it cures.  When fully white, you can sand. 

That's Killz primer.  Yes, I need to finish edging. Will look at the results in a day or two to determine whether to add a second coat.  Then have a semi-glass for the final. Mid-grade for both.  Not the cheap junk, but definitely not "premium".  Just want something I can keep reasonably clean and it'll last a couple years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:13 AM »
Seriously, AJ: were you like Hitler in a previous life? That kinda karma should take something MAJOR

Probably just talked too much in the theater.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start.

Thanks.  I'm pretty happy with it so far.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »
Thanks.  I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Huh wa?

Rev, is that the garage you're painting?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

You know, I was thinking it was the inside of the house and going "man, that floor looks crappy, I hope it's on his todo list..." Until you made this post.
 :facepalm:

:laugh:
I think the cabinets threw me.

Looking good, rev.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Huh wa?

I let Cacher out of the pit to paint.  He is doing an excellent job.  Otherwise he lubricates the woodchipper. 

And yes.  Walls, ceiling and last floor
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:37:32 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
I let Cacher out of the pit to paint.  He is doing an excellent job.  Otherwise he lubricated the woodchipper.

And yes.  Walls, ceiling and last floor

Ah, good copy now.

Now's a good time to clean the snot out of the garage floor, pressure wash might even be in order if you feel so inclined.  Well, once the paint drys on the walls  :lol:

Speaking of which, pressure washer is another item you might consider on your list.  Not the end of the world without one, but they are nice to have. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
Ah, good copy now.

Now's a good time to clean the snot out of the garage floor, pressure wash might even be in order if you feel so inclined.  Well, once the paint drys on the walls  :lol:

Speaking of which, pressure washer is another item you might consider on your list.  Not the end of the world without one, but they are nice to have. 

Enslaving APS members is very handy for housework, you know.

Yea. I'm pondering that. I can tarp and tape the walls, hit it with a pressure washer.  Or just sweep and mop. I'm going to seal the cracks, for sure.  Not sure whether to repaint the floor or not. I really don't want to scrape up the paint on the floor, that's for sure.

Guest apartment is nicely square, so it's paint and replacing the crappy linoleum. Any suggestions on that score?  Wouldn't mind real or fake wood floor.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
Best thing my wife & I ever did house-wise was to forgo ANY carpeting and have wood-grain linoleum in every room of the house. Easy to clean, allergen-resistant, and no unsightly staining....something a guy like yourself could appreciate.... ;)

My SIL's family went a different route.... They didn't put any flooring down....instead, staining the concrete slab to use as the floor. Considering that they have three small children and live in a flood plain, this has proven more than practical....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Oh, never mind.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:10:32 PM by BridgeRunner »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Wood laminate, like I said earlier. Looks real nice, but just peel a strip off the back and stick it down to install.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
Enslaving APS members is very handy for housework, you know.

Yea. I'm pondering that. I can tarp and tape the walls, hit it with a pressure washer.  Or just sweep and mop. I'm going to seal the cracks, for sure.  Not sure whether to repaint the floor or not. I really don't want to scrape up the paint on the floor, that's for sure.

Guest apartment is nicely square, so it's paint and replacing the crappy linoleum. Any suggestions on that score?  Wouldn't mind real or fake wood floor.

Wood laminate is probably fine in the guest apartment. Cleans real easy like.  Not sure how it handles blood, though. Tile the floor in the guest bathroom.  

As far as the garage, it's still just a garage.  A clean floor is nice, (I can't stand it when mine's dirty) but scraping and repainting seems like way too much work.

Just my opinions anyway.
JD

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
Wood laminate is probably fine in the guest apartment. Cleans real easy like.  Not sure how it handles blood, though. Tile the floor in the guest bathroom.  

As far as the garage, it's still just a garage.  A clean floor is nice, (I can't stand it when mine's dirty) but scraping and repainting seems like way too much work.

Just my opinions anyway.

It doesn't stain and it seals very well, so no seepage under the flooring. But you have to use a towel to get whats in the grain of the wood, because a standard mop doesn't work. Although a spong mop might work...

(yes, I know how it handles blood. No, I am not some crazy killer person)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
The rolled vinyl flooring options are quite attractive.  Completely non-porous, one-piece. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »

(yes, I know how it handles blood. No, I am not some crazy killer person)

No one ever said you were crazy.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
Seeker beat me to it. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
The rolled vinyl flooring options are quite attractive.  Completely non-porous, one-piece. . .

Went looking at vinyl today. Do not want. Don't like the look or texture. Wood laminate is what I'll likely go with, specifically the kind that snap together and do not need to be glued down.  It's held down by being interlocked, and by the edging. Not a fan of the fact that it has cracks (which can and will soak up liquids), but I'm pondering if I can put some clear coat on top of it.

Looked at tile. Do not like cleaning grout. So it'll probably be some stone looking linoleum for the bathroom.  

Started hanging up tools on the primary peg board (4x12, I believe).  Need more pegs, so a trip to Harbor Freight is in order.

Took off the shelving in the far left of the above photo. The rails will be slightly more difficult to remove. It's only nailed in place, but ye Gods is it securely nailed in place.  Not a biggie.  Windows and baseboard are painted now. Picked up stainless steel cover plates for electrical outlets and light switches. Did second primer coat after sanding. Still need to do on top and undersides of the cabinets. It's not visible under normal circumstances, but I still want to do a thorough job. Will wait a while and thoroughly sand before putting semi-gloss on.

And swept the floor a bit because some folks commented on it.   :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:56:09 PM by RevDisk »

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Went looking at vinyl today. Do not want. Don't like the look or texture. Wood laminate is what I'll likely go with, specifically the kind that snap together and do not need to be glued down.  It's held down by being interlocked, and by the edging. Not a fan of the fact that it has cracks (which can and will soak up liquids), but I'm pondering if I can put some clear coat on top of it.

Katie and EJ have that in their trailer. They did not coat it. As far as I know they have had no issues with seepage, and that's with multiple old lady dogs flooding half the trailer, at times. So far it looks like the flooring will outlast the trailer.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
I want to stab whoever planted ivy.  From what I understand the wife of the couple that owned the place prior to the doctor I bought the place from did a lot of landscaping.  Doc let all of it get overgrown. Lotta leaves and plants to remove.  Driveway is cleared and can now park a dozen cars with room to spare. 

Need to finish painting and then start on clearing the brush.  That is going to be fun.  Khukri for the win. 

Plan on installing bar and giant TV in the ridiculious living room.  Could host a hell of a party.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
I want to stab whoever planted ivy.  From what I understand the wife of the couple that owned the place prior to the doctor I bought the place from did a lot of landscaping.  Doc let all of it get overgrown. Lotta leaves and plants to remove.  Driveway is cleared and can now park a dozen cars with room to spare. 

Need to finish painting and then start on clearing the brush.  That is going to be fun.  Khukri for the win. 

Plan on installing bar and giant TV in the ridiculious living room.  Could host a hell of a party.

Let me know when and I'll invite myself.
 :-*
JD

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
Let me know when and I'll invite myself.
 :-*

Working on it, so I can actually just mail folks a key that lets them into the guest room but not my house and garage proper.  You won't want to visit until I finish the room anyways.  Unless you want to sleep on concrete slab.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Working on it, so I can actually just mail folks a key that lets them into the guest room but not my house and garage proper.  You won't want to visit until I finish the room anyways.  Unless you want to sleep on concrete slab.

LOL I've selpt worse places ;)

Any fly fishing around your parts?
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
Oh, and I'm inventing a new APS Meme.....

Meanwhile, at Rev's house

JD