Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84482 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
Are you going to bring your entrenching tool over and dig me one?

Pay me $1.76 million and I will.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
Offer was accepted today. Assuming the mortgage goes through without a hitch with expected terms, I'll be a proud owner of $80+k of debt. Figure I can pay it off in 5 ish years. Can be more aggressive than that if warranted, but will play it by ear.  

About an acre and a half, wooded, hill side, 20-25 minutes from work, etc. It's in ok shape, not great, not falling apart. It does have a detached garage, which is awesome and includes a small apartment. I figure I'll move all of my hobby stuff into the garage and make the house look "normal" (ie cluttered with useless junk that is supposed to look pretty).

Theoretical plan is to pay the house off in 5 years. Then immediately or after a couple year delay, rip down the house and replace it with a cabin. Pay that off within a max of 5 years, or less.  So that I have a very nice house on 1.5 acre, fully paid off by the time I'm 40. I could squish that down, but that'd require living under more austere conditions, which I would prefer not to do. By austere, I mean, not installing metal/wood working equipment, reloading bench, etc.

It'll be weird to have a home. Never had one of those before. Just places I lived.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
We'll send Mrs. Monkeyleg to decorate....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
Congrats Rev and sounds like you have a sound plan.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
We'll send Mrs. Monkeyleg to decorate....

If she was closer, I'd be very very tempted to give her a wad of cash and say "Have fun!"

A coworker's parents own a furniture store.  So it's there, or renting a box truck and hitting Ikea or Unclaimed Freight.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
Congrats, rev.  =)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
If she was closer, I'd be very very tempted to give her a wad of cash and say "Have fun!"

A coworker's parents own a furniture store.  So it's there, or renting a box truck and hitting Ikea or Unclaimed Freight.

I say Ikea... Definitely Ikea.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
I see the Rev pad having some modern, but not overly modern, furniture.  Sparsley but smartly decorated, and somewhere, there will be real swords on the wall.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
I see the Rev pad having some modern, but not overly modern, furniture.  Sparsley but smartly decorated, and somewhere, there will be real swords on the wall.

You forgot the metric tons of books, I plan on turning one of the bedrooms into my library. But yes, that is pretty much it.

*eyes Jamis suspiciously*

May I ask how exactly you came to that accurate conclusion?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 04:38:51 PM »

I imagine rev's furnishings to be an illusion of middle class normalcy.  Complete and perfectly functional and acceptable by anyone standards.  And generally devoid of meaning - the real value being that the physical property belongs to him exclusivity.  And the real action being skills perfected working on... whatever...  long evening in the garage.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
You forgot the metric tons of books, I plan on turning one of the bedrooms into my library. But yes, that is pretty much it.

The slackjawed expression on my face is a front.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
Room for a dungeon  ???

>:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
He did say there was a maintenance pit in the garage.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »
I imagine rev's furnishings to be an illusion of middle class normalcy.  Complete and perfectly functional and acceptable by anyone standards.  And generally devoid of meaning - the real value being that the physical property belongs to him exclusivity.  And the real action being skills perfected working on... whatever...  long evening in the garage.

That is also accurate.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
S

If you want the house to be a blank slate in terms of personality, you may want to do a secondary library in the garage....

or else, the book geeks will see through the front.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
Post some pics of your new abode, Rev.  I'm sure many would like to see it.  We promise not to work out any assault routes on or through the property.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
Post some pics of your new abode, Rev.  I'm sure many would like to see it.  We promise not to work out any assault routes on or through the property.

Like every window won't have a range marker card before the fresh roll of TP goes up in the bathroom...  ;/
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »
I call dibs on the inaugural fast-roping down to the house.  From of course the obligatory black helicopter. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:35 AM »
I call dibs on the inaugural fast-roping down to the house.  From of course the obligatory black helicopter. 

(They're dark dark green. Just sayin)
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
(They're dark dark green. Just sayin)

Please, can we stop spreading this "dark green" rumor? It's all a story being planted by that guy that worked for Sikorsky. I think he still gets kickbacks from them. The GSA catalog has the paint for these helos clearly listed as, "Paint, Rotary Aircraft Special. Extra Black for Black Ops".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_erPrRfrEU
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
Don't they have "invisible paint"  ???

That would work better with the silent rotors  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »

Rev, please, please, please take video of their specatular defeat.
 [popcorn]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
Rev, please, please, please take video of their specatular defeat.
 [popcorn]

Or at least pictures of the craters they leave in the driveway.  Whether that be from a mistimed fast-rope or the mortars you used as party favors, either one works.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
He did say there was a maintenance pit in the garage.

A place to keep Fistful ?   >:D

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
A place to keep Fistful ?   >:D

It puts the bacon on its skin or else it gets the hose again!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage