Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84311 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
It puts the bacon on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

That's a waste of good bacon.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 10:10:12 PM »
That's a waste of good bacon.

Use pepperoni instead.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
A place to keep Fistful ?   >:D

Why in Asgard would I want to KEEP Fistful?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 01:54:52 AM »
It puts the bacon on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
Closing is done, have the keys, packing up the old place.

There is a spare apartment in the garage, so visitors are welcome.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »
*cheers*
 =)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »
Day I closed on my house was one of the weirdest days I've had but nice to say that I was now a home owner. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2012, 05:21:12 AM »
Congrats!.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:04 AM »
Outstanding.  Congrats, sir.  Enjoy your new home.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »
Closing is done, have the keys, packing up the old place.

There is a spare apartment in the garage, so visitors are welcome.

Awesome!  Is the spare apartment above the torture pit?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 08:22:21 AM »
Awesome!  Is the spare apartment above the torture pit?

One and the same.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
Congratulations!!!!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

Thank ye, thank ye.

Any commendations for new home owner?   Need to buy a ton of lawn and snow junk.  Interior stuff I am buying from Ikea

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
Thank ye, thank ye.

Any commendations for new home owner?   Need to buy a ton of lawn and snow junk.  Interior stuff I am buying from Ikea

Pawn shops.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
Thank ye, thank ye.

One thing I have learned about owning homes and owning rental property is this:

Improperly-seated toilets are the highest ratio of (potential damage)/(cheap to fix).  If your toilet wiggles at all, pull it and reseat it properly.
Second-highest is probably basement drainage, a check-valve on your sump pump outlet line and a $10 watchdog water alarm from home depot
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
I'd consider just replacing all the toilet wax rings anyways.  Get it done with.  
Water supply lines to the toilets, dishwasher, and reefer if so equipped.
All the above is half a day's work, tops.
Replace all the ac/furnace filters
consider having someone come out and clean the hvac ducts.  Couple hundred bucks usually but can improve the air quality in the house considerably.

Tools, etc?

Plumber's wrench
Ladder long enough to get you on the roof
medium step ladder for smaller in house chores
Chainsaw (since you have property with trees).  
Gas powered trimmer
Axe
handsaw
couple shovels.
couple folding sawhorses
wheelbarrow (Two wheeled ones are the bees knees)
Rakes (leaf rake and a metal mulch rake)
Buckets.  Several 5 gallon and maybe a few smaller ones
If you keep most of your tools in the garage, make a "house kit", small tool box with the basics for quick projects.

What kind of vehicle do you have?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
has anyone warned informed the neighbors about their new neighbor ?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »

Why would you do something like that.  It's more entertaining the let the neighbors find out naturally.  =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »

It isn't like he is fistful or you. =D

• friends
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
Why would you do something like that.  It's more entertaining the let the neighbors find out naturally.  =D
  ok has anyone counted to see how many neighbors there are.... currently
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
Pawn shops.

Good point.  Can't hurt, certainly.

One thing I have learned about owning homes and owning rental property is this:

Improperly-seated toilets are the highest ratio of (potential damage)/(cheap to fix).  If your toilet wiggles at all, pull it and reseat it properly.
Second-highest is probably basement drainage, a check-valve on your sump pump outlet line and a $10 watchdog water alarm from home depot

No basement, unfortunately.  Single floor ranch style. 

Gotcha, reseat the seat. Will pick up a few basic plumbing books. Not planning on doing my own for anything major, but I want to know more than my limitations.  So I don't get ripped off, if nothing else.

I'd consider just replacing all the toilet wax rings anyways.  Get it done with.  
Water supply lines to the toilets, dishwasher, and reefer if so equipped.
All the above is half a day's work, tops.
Replace all the ac/furnace filters
consider having someone come out and clean the hvac ducts.  Couple hundred bucks usually but can improve the air quality in the house considerably.

Good points.  Check and replace water lines and filters, gotcha.

Will check into the ducts.

Tools, etc?

Plumber's wrench
Ladder long enough to get you on the roof
medium step ladder for smaller in house chores
Chainsaw (since you have property with trees).  
Gas powered trimmer
Axe
handsaw
couple shovels.
couple folding sawhorses
wheelbarrow (Two wheeled ones are the bees knees)
Rakes (leaf rake and a metal mulch rake)
Buckets.  Several 5 gallon and maybe a few smaller ones
If you keep most of your tools in the garage, make a "house kit", small tool box with the basics for quick projects.

What kind of vehicle do you have?

Pretty much matches my list.  Tho I intend to get a cart in addition to a wheelbarrow. The property is on the side of a hill.  Pondering what to do with that.  Do want to clear a section of the high ground and make a small firepit.  Maybe eventually put a gazebo or very small pavilion up there.

Fortunately, re trees, my sister's boyfriend is in the tree business.  So likely kick him some loot for most of that sort of thing.  But a chainsaw is a handy thing.

Currently have a four door sedan.  Looking into used pickup truck in addition. 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
Pickup truck is nearly a must given what you've described as the property.  Another option is to go the SUV route, and then aquire a small trailer.  You can do everything with a solid 4x8 utility trailer that you can with a pickup, but you can't do everything with a pickup you can do in an SUV. 
JD

• friends
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
Pickup truck is nearly a must given what you've described as the property.  Another option is to go the SUV route, and then aquire a small trailer.  You can do everything with a solid 4x8 utility trailer that you can with a pickup, but you can't do everything with a pickup you can do in an SUV. 

good advice! last trailer i got was free  one before that was 35 bucks

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

I have more experience than I ever want with a utility trailer attached to a HMMWV.  We hates backing up with the trailer, we hates it!