Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84297 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
Ha! Yeah the short tounge on a utility trailer makes it a bitch.  Backing the boat accurately is a breeze because there is almost 20' from the tounge to the front axle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
We hates backing up with the trailer, we hates it! 

Sit back, use your side mirrors and move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. It becomes easy peasy.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Sit back, use your side mirrors and move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. It becomes easy peasy.

You're taking extreme liberty with being out of bayonet reach, you know this, right?  It can be corrected.

Try doing that at night, in NVGs, in the friggin woods with uneven terrain and a moron ground guiding you.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »

You're taking extreme liberty with being out of bayonet reach, you know this, right?  It can be corrected.

Try doing that at night, in NVGs, in the friggin woods with uneven terrain and a moron ground guiding you.

Try it with all that behind a HEMMT where if you can see the trailer in a mirror it is already jackknifed since the truck is so much wider and longer than the trailer.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

I am more than a few feet from the 42nd parallel, don't forget to check your weapons :)

Sheesh, just trying to give a little help.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/front_mounted_hitches_by_hidden_hitch/1104000138_2053.aspx

trailer goodness   no more backing

Yeah, but once you're up to freeway speed, the pucker factor has got to be IMMENSE.

Not even sure if that's legal in Wisconsin.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »

Do you really forsee needing to do this at your new house anytime soon....

Oh, wait... Yes, I could see you needing to use a trailer in the middle of the night to dispose of... Something.
 :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
Do you really forsee needing to do this at your new house anytime soon....

Oh, wait... Yes, I could see you needing to use a trailer in the middle of the night to dispose of... Something.
 :laugh:

Yeah I wonder what.

Oops, brb guys I just felt a draft like I left a window opsennnnk,FSDKO;M; KL sss
sdfsd

dfffsss         
Charles Babbage

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
Yeah I wonder what.

Oops, brb guys I just felt a draft like I left a window opsennnnk,FSDKO;M; KL sss
sdfsd

dfffsss         

Maybe he should just get a dump truck and a back hoe...
 ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »

Sad news, friends.  Uh.  It appears CNYCacher has an unfortunate geocaching accident. Involving a woodchipper and three 50 lb sacks of lye. Terrible, just terrible. Could happen to anyone. Be safe out there when you're caching. 

=D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
Sad news, friends.  Uh.  It appears CNYCacher has an unfortunate geocaching accident. Involving a woodchipper and three 50 lb sacks of lye. Terrible, just terrible. Could happen to anyone. Be safe out there when you're caching. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

=D

Just watch out for heavly pregnent minnosota police officers.

Yah...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »

Obviously, not posting too many photos on the public interwebz without careful editing.

This is the garage.  Yes, I know, it looks like it's out of Saw.  And ignore the grave shaped thingie in the middle.

ANYWAYS.

So, the garage is nice but needs some work. Definitely going to do some painting on the walls after a thorough cleaning. Will replace some of the faceplates on the outlets and have a look see at the wiring.  Now, oddly, there are vents in the bloody concrete.  I might pay someone to clean them out, and then seal them over. Debating on what to do with the floor. Probably leave that alone for now. Jamis was on the money with water lines. The bathroom in the garage has a cracked water pipe section. Not sure if the water frozen and expanded, or it just got cracked by accident.

Probably will install a wood pellet stove.  Preferably with a built in battery, but worst case, can buy a couple car batteries and rig something up. Oddly enough, I was considering making a solar panel array for driveway lighting. Be a good dual use system, I think. Normal circumstances, running the lights all night.  Emergency use, making my garage warm.

Apartment isn't bad. 10x10, I think?  Repaint walls, and probably replace the linoleum. It's in good shape, but ugly. Thinking to put in a bed (or bulk beds) in there with a desk, dresser and a mini-fridge.  Pre-supply with old army blankets, linens, "travel kit" ish toiletries, etc.  I'll be master keying the place so I could mail out keys to random folks for the apartment that won't work on the main house, but my key would work anywhere.

Thoughts, suggestions?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
  And ignore the grave shaped thingie in the middle.

That sounds like a sig ....
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »
What? No large meat hooks?

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Now, oddly, there are vents in the bloody concrete.  I might pay someone to clean them out, and then seal them over.

Could they be drains ? If so, just hose the place down to clean it. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
What? No large meat hooks?

Oh, picking those up.

Could they be drains ? If so, just hose the place down to clean it. 

Nope, vents. Think it had a heating system previously in it.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
Speaking of flooring.

They just replaced the lobby floor with this laminate strips stuff that look like wood. It's very attractive and resonable price. EJ put in the lobby and front office in one weekend by himself.

They also did their trailer with wood panals that lock together. Looks VERY nice, though i imagine it was a bit more pricey. Once again, it looked really easy to put in (i was their the day ej and his dad where doing the living room) just cut the right size and snap it in.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »
An anti-slip flooring would be a good idea for the garage.

Maybe see if you can hook up the heat system to the old vents.  Once all the dust and other assorted critters have been cleaned out of it.

Probably get a deal on solar panels.  Fire sale prices...

And yes, I'd like my woodchipper back when you're done with it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »

And yes, I'd like my woodchipper back when you're done with it.

Really?

I hope he cleans in first...
 [barf]

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
Hmm... Old vents under slab.

Utility runs for power, data, compressed air, Argon, water, etc?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »
Hmm... Old vents under slab.

Utility runs for power, data, compressed air, Argon, water, etc?

...   Don't tempt me, bro.

But I'd likely do that all from the crawlspace attic.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:28 PM »
Garage flooring - seal it, then paint it with outdoor paint and blow on a coat of sand like what we use for cheap non-skid on a boat. Jamis, what's that stuff called? It isn't actually sand, what is it?
And this way you can still access the grave thing that isn't a grave if you need to.

Backing a trailer is simple. It's like backing a boat up using a tiller. If I can do it, so can you. Man up.

The whole thing with the toilet seals - you can do that yourself, doesn't require a plumber. You can do most plumbing things with the right tools and assuming the house is new enough that you don't have copper pipes. I pulled a clawfoot tub out one time to tile under it, paint behind it, and replace the fixtures. I learned in a rather costly way that old copper pipes are hard to get a seal on and don't always match with modern stuff. Ugh.

Also, having the ducts cleaned - that's not optional. Unless it was the house you grew up in and you bought it from your parents, you really don't want to be breathing in other people's ick. You can usually find a coupon in the weekly junkmail for $99 for the whole house. Most carpet cleaning companies do it too.

Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but you also need to look at securing your .... weapons and such. Motion detector, cameras, trip wires, etc. Just saying.

Don't forget to put a freezer in the garage so you have plenty of food on hand when we come up and take over Chez Rev.  >:D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »
Backing a trailer is simple. It's like backing a boat up using a tiller. If I can do it, so can you. Man up.

=D Bonus points awarded.

Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but you also need to look at securing your .... weapons and such. Motion detector, cameras, trip wires, etc. Just saying.

I actually ranted about that myself!  It just wasn't on APS.  =) 
Detcord.  There, someone had to say it.