Author Topic: Anyone ever own Dan Post boots?  (Read 33611 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Anyone ever own Dan Post boots?
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
I need a new pair of boots, and I can't find anything in the Tony Lama line that I like. I'd love to buy Lucchese, but $$$. I've had Nocona boots before and liked them, but can't find what I like this time around.

Dan Post has a pair that I like the looks of, but I know nothing about that brand, except that it's a bit less expensive (cheaper?) than Tony Lama.

Has anyone here ever had Dan Post boots? If so, how were they? How was comfort, construction, materials, fit, etc?

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Anyone ever own Dan Post boots?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
If I recall correctly Dan Post is owned by the same company that owns Tony Lama.

Actully I was wrong, Tony Lama is owned by Justin, who also just acquired Lucchese.

Justin Boots are a brand of cowboy boots, owned by the Justin Brands company, which is in turn a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway. Justin Brands additionally owns brands Nocona, Tony Lama, and recently Lucchese Boots Company. The company is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:56:58 PM by wmenorr67 »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
Have heard nothing but good things about Dan Post boots.....but I've never tried them.

Are you looking more for western boots or work boots?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Justin Brands additionally owns brands Nocona, ...

Really  ???   :O

You mean the Justin family sold out twice ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
I own a pair, going on 15 years now.  Don't daily wear them or anything but they still fit comfortably and look good.

Construction and materials are good.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Thanks, Matthew. That you've had them and worn them for 15 years says something about the quality.

I buy cowboy boots for daily wear. I have work boots for yard work, etc.

I like a higher heel than what can be found on most boots. Tony Lama doesn't seem to have any in their line any more. Dan Post has a pair with 2" heels. If they have some that are deer tanned, that would be perfect.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
My dad got a pair a few months back. He seems to like them OK.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
I've got a pair that I wear a few times a month. They are pushing 25 years old and on their 4th sole. I can't speak to today's quality though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »
They are pushing 25 years old and on their 4th sole.

You must not use them for riding your cycle. I go through a set of soles on the cowboy boots I use for riding about every other year to every third year, depending upon how many miles I get in. Between the shifter and putting my left foot down when stopped, it wears out the soles fast.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
In my twisted little world leather soled boots do not belong on a riders feet.
For riding I mostly wear Justin lace up work boots or a western style Durango work boots.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »
A bit off topic: have you looked into Ariat brand?  I find them to be quite comfortable and IMO better made than my Tony Lamas (heresy, I know).
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
Taller heel? You may want to look at packer boots as in horse packer.
I used to wear Nacona boots when I rode horses a lot when I was younger they were good boots for the price. I will probably end up owning a scooter this spring and probably buy a pair of Redwing Wellington style boots  to ride in.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
I've been wearing tall heel boots since I was a teen. First Beatle boots, then some Puerto Rican-style boots, then cowboy boots. Just trying to hang on to some pieces of my youth, I guess. Besides, I'm used to them.

As for leather soles for motorcycle riding, they've never caused me any problems.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
A bit off topic: have you looked into Ariat brand?  I find them to be quite comfortable and IMO better made than my Tony Lamas (heresy, I know).

That's what I've been wearing, mostly because that's what the local Big R sells.

They have some sort of hard rubber sole instead of leather, however.

I've got a pair of 1970s vintage Noconas with leather soles.  Those things are dangerously slick even on grass.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:10 AM »
Yes, I had a pair of Dan Posts back in college (15+ years ago)- they fit well, were very comfortable and I really liked them.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
I own a pair of just about each maker, depending on the occasion is what I wear.  My Dan Post boots are for casual dress, like going to work.  I have had the same pair for 10 years, resoled 3 times.  There is some wear on the heels, toes and outside of the right one.  I can polish them and they still look okay.  I would recommend them to anyone, except for horse work.  They just don't work well, for me, for that.  For that I wear my Ariat Packers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »
Thanks, Stetson. How do you like your Ariat's? I saw a pair today that I liked, and would buy them if I could find a cobbler to swap out heels.

I sure wish I could justify the $$$ for Lucchese's.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
Go with everything.

Well, not sure about an actual horse, they haven't really seen one... ;)

For that matter, they are a 10-1/2 D width and I really need an E, not sure when my feet got fat.  =|

I can only wear them during summer up here and I always wore them with socks.  Feel free to make an offer.  =)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:47:34 PM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:53 AM »
Thanks, Stetson. How do you like your Ariat's? I saw a pair today that I liked, and would buy them if I could find a cobbler to swap out heels.

I sure wish I could justify the $$$ for Lucchese's.

What kind of heel are you looking for?  I have some Ariats and Justins that look like these.  I've looked at both the Ariat and Justin lines and everything is low heeled.

http://www.sheplers.com/chippewa-mens-packer-cowboy-boots.html 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »
Stetson, I think we're talking about very different types of boots. These are the Dan Posts I'm thinking of buying:

Not many makers have heels like that. Tony Lama shows a #5 heel, but I have yet to see a pair of boots with that heel on them.

I saw some "distressed" brown suede boots today. They were Justin or Ariat, I'm pretty sure. The heel was fairly low, but I'm sure a cobbler could build the heels higher.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »
Changing the geometry of the heel can screw up the boot and turn what was a comfortable boot into a knee/ankle destroyer. I only worked in a boot repair shop for a year but that's one of the things I learned.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
Changing the geometry of the heel can screw up the boot and turn what was a comfortable boot into a knee/ankle destroyer. I only worked in a boot repair shop for a year but that's one of the things I learned.

I was wondering about that. Thanks. I guess that the shank is made to take into account the heel.

Never mind. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
Monk, that would be a vaquero/buckaroo "high underslung heels" type boot.

(do you wear a flat brim hat, white shirt, and vest to go with them ?  :lol: )

There are custom boot makers out there.  Check out Western Horseman magazine (they have some online stuff too) for some leads.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
Tallpine, I know the heel is called "underslung", but some manufacturers call it something else.

As I said, I've worn some sort of boots since I was a teenager. Cowboy boots are good (at least for me) for motorcycle riding, yet still look fine for daily wear.

As for vests, I've been wearing leather vests for years and years. It makes it a lot easier to conceal a .45. No hats, but I do wear white shirts a lot, or white shirts with pin stripes.

I'd love to have custom boots, but $$$$.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
Tallpine, I know the heel is called "underslung", but some manufacturers call it something else.

As I said, I've worn some sort of boots since I was a teenager. Cowboy boots are good (at least for me) for motorcycle riding, yet still look fine for daily wear.

As for vests, I've been wearing leather vests for years and years. It makes it a lot easier to conceal a .45. No hats, but I do wear white shirts a lot, or white shirts with pin stripes.

I'd love to have custom boots, but $$$$.

Maybe not as much as you would think.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!