Author Topic: Hypocrisy at it's Finest!  (Read 10429 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Hypocrisy at it's Finest!
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/chef-paula-deen-hid-diabetes-pushed-high-fat-231245264.html

Seems that Paula Deen hid her diabetes diagnosis 3 years ago, and continued pushing her high fat recipes on TV.
Some of her recipes, including deep fried cheesecake covered in powdered sugar and chocolate, are heart stoppers for calories, and are diabetic dynamite.

None of that matters much to outspoken chef Anthony Bourdain, who has never been a Deen fan. He told Eater.com of her diabetes announcement: "When your signature dish is hamburger in between a doughnut, and you've been cheerfully selling this stuff knowing all along that you've got Type 2 diabetes ... it's in bad taste if nothing else."

Nice! Anything to make a buck.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Regolith

• friend
Re: Hypocrisy at it's Finest!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
I'm sorry, but I fail to have a problem with this. Even diabetics could eat the food she makes safely, if done in moderation. Also, while sugar is a problem for diabetics, fat is not. I have also never heard her claim that the food she makes is healthy and doesn't pose any health risks.

I also find the outrage of certain people to be rather distasteful. Last time I checked, this is a free country. People should be able to eat what they want, even at the expense of their own health. Further, eating such food is, again, fine in moderation, and is generally mighty tasty. The people who are outraged are generally a bunch of pompous busybodies who believe that other people's choices are the own business. Frankly, I think they should all FOAD.

Edit: And if you want to find a Grade A hypocrite, look no further than Anthony Bourdain, who is a heavy smoker and drinker.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:07:32 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »
The bigger hypocrisy is that this announcement of hers was just an excuse publicize her upcoming tour of the country where she will be shilling for a drug company making Diabetes medication. You have to give her credit. She has positioned herself well in the marketplace. She profits from both a cause and a treatment of diabetes.

To add to the hypocricy, she was on the Today show today with her "diabetic friendly lasagna."  :facepalm:

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
The bigger hypocrisy is that this announcement of hers was just an excuse publicize her upcoming tour of the country where she will be shilling for a drug company making Diabetes medication. You have to give her credit. She has positioned herself well in the marketplace. She profits from both a cause and a treatment of diabetes.

To add to the hypocricy, she was on the Today show today with her "diabetic friendly lasagna."  :facepalm:
Good point.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »
Edit: And if you want to find a Grade A hypocrite, look no further than Anthony Bourdain, who is a heavy smoker and drinker.

Yeah, but that's part of his public image.  Not seeing the hypocrisy there.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
Yeah, but that's part of his public image.  Not seeing the hypocrisy there.

I must have an incorrect understanding of the definition of the word hypocrite.  So, what you're saying, is that a guy who blasts another person for their unhealthy lifestyle while unrepentantly maintaining an unhealthy lifestyle is not a hypocrite, while a person who has an unhealthy lifestyle and has never said she doesn't, nor criticized someone else for their unhealthy lifestyle, IS?

I'm confused.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:47:53 PM »
Very interesting! [popcorn]

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln (Letter to Joshua Speed, 1855)
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation we began by saying that all men are created equal.  Now we practically read it as all men are created equal, except Negros.  When the Know-Nothings get control it shall read all men are created equal except Negros, and foreigners, and Catholics.  When it comes to that I shall prefer to emigrate to a country that makes no pretense of loving liberty.  To Russia for instance, where despotism can be taken purer and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.

I just love that quote.

BTW, high fat foods are not necessarilly bad for diabetics.  The high sugar foods of course are.
Formerly sumpnz

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
... nor criticized someone else for their unhealthy lifestyle, IS?

I'm confused.

I think the crux of the matter is that she has.  In the contrived-for-the-audience's titillation, but possibly somewhat reflective of real relationships, world of cable food show hosts, Bourdain has taken a lot of heat for his smoke-saturated, alcohol-soaked, bad-boy image. 

Don't know about Deen specifically, never been interested in her show, just watch Alton Brown, Bourdain, and some Iron Chef on a series of DVDs a friend DVR-d for me a while back when I was looking for something to put on the tv in the background.  I think I vaguely recall something or other about her calling to task for his lifestyle, but might not have been Deen, and I'm just remembering it way because her name is right there.

Besides, Bourdain is secksier. Of course I'm on his side.  :laugh: 

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
I think the crux of the matter is that she has.

If she has, then yes, I'd agree she is a hypocrite. But I've watched way more of her than I ever wanted to (my mother has the TV tuned to Food Network 90% of the time), and I've never seen her do it. So far as I can tell, that's not part of her schtick.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:43 AM »

BTW, high fat foods are not necessarilly bad for diabetics.  The high sugar foods of course are.

High fat, lots of sugar, lots of carbs.  She's does it all.    
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:31 AM »
She's a capitalist! Stone her! Hell, she speaks with a bit of a southern accent, probably OK to burn her at the *expletive deleted*ing stake for that.
Bunch of piss-ant busy bodies getting their panties in a bunch over Paula Dean gots diabetes and still makes money showing/selling people what they want to see. Bourdain is probably jealous because she is more popular and/or makes more money.
Regolith pretty well  nailed it with his comments.
If you don't like her style of cooking don't eat it plenty of tofu and bean sprouts to go around for you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »
I think Bourdain's point is that she is pushing her artery clogging death meals on others, while profiting.  It doesn't seem to be about her health.  That's why he called her, "The Most Dangerous Woman on TV."  Personally, I've seen her make some really tasty looking stuff.  Lots of bacon, cheese, or butter will make most things, if not everything, better.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
She is a capitalist.

One can be a capitalist without compromising honesty, and by doing the right thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »
Nobody, Paula Dean included advocates eating the high fat, high calorie foods everyday 3 meals a day. Do you consider beer companies as hypocrites because they advertise beer? After the death toll related to alcohol is staggering. Budweiser can be implicated in a hell of a lot more misery than Paula Dean's cheesecake recipe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
Nobody, Paula Dean included advocates eating the high fat, high calorie foods everyday 3 meals a day. Do you consider beer companies as hypocrites because they advertise beer? After the death toll related to alcohol is staggering. Budweiser can be implicated in a hell of a lot more misery than Paula Dean's cheesecake recipe.
Sure do!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
I think some posters here are missing the point . . .

When celebrities indulge in public verbal feuds, they're seeking publicity. They want to be in the limelight . . . often because they're beginning to be regarded as "yesterday's news."

Look at some recent examples:

*  Trump vs. Rosie

*  Madonna vs. Elton John

*  Bourdain vs. Deen

This latest "feud" brings these people to the attention of those who don't watch The Cooking Channel or whatever it's called.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »
Dean/Brimley 2012
DIABEETUS
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:22:52 AM »
I have never been a fan of any of these clown chefs.

They are only looking to push their wares, and I do not bite.

There are none of their cookbooks in this house.

I suppose that this comes from having a very mistrustful eye towards any marketing.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
if you want to find a Grade A hypocrite, look no further than Anthony Bourdain, who is a heavy smoker and drinker.

and hes not that great a chef  typical cia grad
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
if you want to find a Grade A hypocrite, look no further than Anthony Bourdain, who is a heavy smoker and drinker.

and hes not that great a chef  typical cia grad

I don't really watch him for his cooking skills.  I rather enjoy his trips.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
it took a cia grad 20 years to be exec?  meh

trips are good
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »
I am reminded of a song back in the 1990s with the word"ironic" in the title, but had no examples of actual irony in the lyrics. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
She is a capitalist.

One can be a capitalist without compromising honesty, and by doing the right thing.
And I think a lot of people assign the "dishonesty" and "hypocrisy" labels far far too easily.  If she isn't claiming anything special about her food other than it is tasty and interesting, I don't see where she would be dishonest or a hypocrite.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge