Author Topic: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.  (Read 17771 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
More likely to come from Obama, that.  He's pretty much there already.

An aside about Ron Paul: too many of his supporters--I don't mean the people here--are young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military.  It's not about idealism, it's about me-first.  Unfortunately, that kind of escapism, while certainly reflecting the peace and prosperity bubble of the last half-century that most younger people have enjoyed, doesn't conform well with what lies ahead.

What you really mean is that that level of personal freedom is just a little too much for your comfort?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Are we looking at a possible1933 redux then? I just get the creepiest feeling that Newt might end up trying to name himself  First Citizen of the Homeland or some such totalitarian entitlement.

"All hail First Citizen Newt!"

No kidding.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
I've said it before, ad nauseum, that it took nearly 70 years to get us where we are.  It cannot be fixed overnight.  But our country needs to shift back to the right slowly but surely.  As POTUS New would represent only 1 of 3 branches.  His appointment to the SCOTUS would be a counterbalance to the last two appointments and maybe even get the court to be impartial.  Obama has proven that the congress cannot be steam rolled.  Newt won't be able to do it either, but he would be a breath of fresh air as a historian rather than a dogma driven liberal.

He mentioned the other night that his candidate competition are good people and would be valuable additions to his administration.  That comment has not been a big news item, but he said it.

Face it, Newt is the only candidate that will pull us back from the brink.  White Shoe R's will broker someone if he doesn't get the nomination in the primaries and Mitt is a disaster.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
More likely to come from Obama, that.  He's pretty much there already.

An aside about Ron Paul: too many of his supporters--I don't mean the people here--are young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military.  It's not about idealism, it's about me-first.  Unfortunately, that kind of escapism, while certainly reflecting the peace and prosperity bubble of the last half-century that most younger people have enjoyed, doesn't conform well with what lies ahead.

Pesky freedom. We should do more to get rid of that whole free will thing
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »
Pesky freedom. We should do more to get rid of that whole free will thing

I'm telling you what I've observed with a merciless and unsentimental eye.  Consumerism is not personal freedom.  Neither is self-exemption from life's duties.

You know who you are.  :)

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Nazi Newt comparisons?  Really?

Some of y'all need to take a deep breath and step back from the keyboard before you use it to confirm Proverbs 29:11. (Or was that Proverbs 18:6?)

Snuggle with your dog, watch an episode of Touched by an Angel, read some Dr Seuss, or something; 'cause The Krayzee is getting a bit thick in here.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
No. I learned from the idiot box that anyone who opposes me is hitler.

See exhibit A

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
I'm telling you what I've observed with a merciless and unsentimental eye.  Consumerism is not personal freedom.

You know who you are.  :)

Or so you claim.

But more importantly: the legitimacy of the state is drawn from securing freedom.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »
Or so you claim.

But more importantly: the legitimacy of the state is drawn from securing freedom.

No. The legitimacy of the state is drawn from securing life, property, and liberty. In that order.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
No. The legitimacy of the state is drawn from securing life, property, and liberty. In that order.

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —

No liberty? No legitimacy.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »

Uh, how did we figure that out?  And how twisted is that - as long as oppressive measures stop theft and rioting for example, they would be justified because liberty is second to property???

I suppose you would morally have had to side with King George - the revolution was certainly more destructive of property than abiding his restrictions on liberty would have been.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »

that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

English. It's right there in bloody plain English.  Governments derive their just powers (ie authority) from the consent of the governed.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »
So did someone say that they were against freedom or that liberty was not important or something? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 08:39:51 AM »
Uh, how did we figure that out?  And how twisted is that - as long as oppressive measures stop theft and rioting for example, they would be justified because liberty is second to property???

I suppose you would morally have had to side with King George - the revolution was certainly more destructive of property than abiding his restrictions on liberty would have been.

You will note I mentioned three as necessary for a state to be just. My implication is that any state that does not secure life is unjust. A state that secure only life but not property is still unjust, but less so than one that does not even secure life. A state that secures life and property but not liberty is still unjust but less so than one that simply secures life. A state that secures all three is fulfilling its just purpose. Obviously there are varying amounts of how well life, property and liberty are secured, but without the first, the other two are useless. Without the second, the third is useless. That is the reason for their primacy over liberty.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
The problem with this argument is that the three overlap very strongly.

Without a right to property a person does not truly have liberty, and without a right to individual liberty (i.e. among other things being secure in his home and doing with it as he wishes) he does not truly have property rights.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
I'd say they're kind of inseparable

edit: MB beat me to it
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »

Without a right to property a person does not truly have liberty, and without a right to individual liberty (i.e. among other things being secure in his home and doing with it as he wishes) he does not truly have property rights.

And without virtue and reason none of them can exist or matter much.  These are the values of a particular kind of human being.  The Founders made that point over and over.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »

You can argue the second two overlap. I'm willing to concede that. The first, however, is preeminent.

And without virtue and reason none of them can exist or matter much.  These are the values of a particular kind of human being.  The Founders made that point over and over.

Without them, liberty cannot exist, but governments cannot secure virtue and reason. They can subvert them though, as the past 40 years illustrates well.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Maybe I take a simplistic view of the matter, but I've always thought that liberty isn't of much use to you if you aren't alive.
Andy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »

So you are saying that young people, who are overwhelmingly those who are expected to fight, are not happy about serving in a military where military service is synonymous not with defending their homeland but with treking around splodystan causing carnage, creating enemies, and protecting interests of megacorporation and not necessarily the States' interests, for a Federal government which will jail them for using their drug of choice, and which steals their wealth, uses it to finance these wars, and gives a roughly equal amount of it to old people who don't even have to fight in the military, and that this ridiculous pro-freedom, pro-American, indeed, pro-self-preservation position accounts for their support of Ron Paul?

Yeah, I would say that's about right.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
lol.

That's about the short and skinny of it
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »
So you are saying that young people, who are overwhelmingly those who are expected to fight, are not happy about serving in a military where military service is synonymous not with defending their homeland but with treking around splodystan causing carnage, creating enemies, and protecting interests of megacorporation and not necessarily the States' interests, for a Federal government which will jail them for using their drug of choice, and which steals their wealth, uses it to finance these wars, and gives a roughly equal amount of it to old people who don't even have to fight in the military, and that this ridiculous pro-freedom, pro-American, indeed, pro-self-preservation position accounts for their support of Ron Paul?

Yeah, I would say that's about right.

If you construe what I'm saying as a defense of ill-chosen and ill-strategized wars, you are quite mistaken.  Far from it. 

But I'm sorry if I don't buy that the support for Ron Paul among "the young" is based on idealism rather than, largely, on selfishness and hedonism.  Young people today are the willing beneficiaries of all the "sins" of their elders.  I see very few doing without the boons of the previous generations.  As for fighting, their time will come, whether they like it or not; that is the legacy of human history.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
oh sweet jeebus.  i find myself in the curious position of agreeing with longeyes  i read it twice looking for a loophole too.  he sank the hook with these words "selfishness and hedonism. "
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

I do not consent anymore.  Now what?  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
I do not consent anymore.  Now what?  >:D

You're a violent extremist, naturally
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog