Author Topic: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.  (Read 17783 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
Maybe I take a simplistic view of the matter, but I've always thought that liberty isn't of much use to you if you aren't alive.

While you have a point, plenty of folks have chosen to die for freedom, rather then live as slaves.  So there are folks out there that put liberty above life.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
But I'm sorry if I don't buy that the support for Ron Paul among "the young" is based on idealism rather than, largely, on selfishness and hedonism. 
Can you show me a voting block which is not motivated by selfishness? It's always been a factor in voting and always will be. Put up a national referendum for eliminating Social Security and see how unselfish the Baby Boomers are.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
At least the Baby Boomers and those before them have a work history.  There are varying degrees of selfishness among humans, no dispute there.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
While you have a point, plenty of folks have chosen to die for freedom, rather then live as slaves.  So there are folks out there that put liberty above life.
I was thinking along the same lines.  You can put life as some preeminent #1 above all others.  What kind of life is there without the others? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
Quote from: longeyes on January 22, 2012, 01:25:50 PM
More likely to come from Obama, that.  He's pretty much there already.

An aside about Ron Paul: too many of his supporters--I don't mean the people here--are young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military.  It's not about idealism, it's about me-first.  Unfortunately, that kind of escapism, while certainly reflecting the peace and prosperity bubble of the last half-century that most younger people have enjoyed, doesn't conform well with what lies ahead.

What you really mean is that that level of personal freedom is just a little too much for your comfort?
Looking at this response from earlier.  IMO, that is exactly the kind of crazy response that turn people away from Paul and his supporters.  You act like anyone who allows himself to question the great King Paul is against personal freedom.  What a bunch of hogwash. 

It is the personal freedom and govt spending stances that a lot of us like.  What I question him on is some of his stances on foreign policy and some past commentary on Israel was a bit curious about.  A guy on the radio here in Houston said he agrees with Paul on 90% to 95% of what he says, but that last 5% is hard to swallow. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
Looking at this response from earlier.  IMO, that is exactly the kind of crazy response that turn people away from Paul and his supporters.  You act like anyone who allows himself to question the great King Paul is against personal freedom.  What a bunch of hogwash. 

It is the personal freedom and govt spending stances that a lot of us like.  What I question him on is some of his stances on foreign policy and some past commentary on Israel was a bit curious about.  A guy on the radio here in Houston said he agrees with Paul on 90% to 95% of what he says, but that last 5% is hard to swallow. 

I think the immediate danger to our nation isn't from that last 5 percent.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
I don't agree with Ron Paul on a number of things, but I respect him.  There is a difference between Paul and, in my view, many of his supporters (note that I exempted people on this forum), mostly the younger ones.  To them he is just another Candy Man, offering easy access to drugs, debt relief, and freedom from military service--not all that different from Obama really.  I myself believe that Ron Paul's message is a far sterner one, but I don't expect many 25-year-olds who grew up in a time of unprecedented stuff and license to realize that.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
What I see here are image politics - if you drive an Audi and read academic journals, you are supposed to like Obama.  If you like NASCAR, you're supposed to like bush.   And you can't like Ron Paul because some people who smoke weed also like him.

Image is a silly way to conduct politics.  I'd much rather vote for actual policies, rather than worry about the dress and habits of other people who might vote in the same line.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »
freedom from military service

Come again ... ???   ???   ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »
  To them he is just another Candy Man, offering easy access to drugs, debt relief, and freedom from military service--not all that different from Obama really. 

Debt relief?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:50 PM »
Debt forgiveness, beginning with student loans--that's what I'm referring to.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

This was a part of Ron Paul's program?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:49 AM »

That one is news to me.....please show citations.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:03 AM »

This is the first I've heard of Ron Paul supporting this
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
What I said was: "To them he is just another Candy Man, offering easy access to drugs, debt relief, and freedom from military service--not all that different from Obama really.  I myself believe that Ron Paul's message is a far sterner one, but I don't expect many 25-year-olds who grew up in a time of unprecedented stuff and license to realize that."  In other words, that's the muddled perception of R.P. that many younger voters have, not his actual position.  They see what they want to see.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »
What I said was: "To them he is just another Candy Man, offering easy access to drugs, debt relief, and freedom from military service--not all that different from Obama really.  I myself believe that Ron Paul's message is a far sterner one, but I don't expect many 25-year-olds who grew up in a time of unprecedented stuff and license to realize that."  In other words, that's the muddled perception of R.P. that many younger voters have, not his actual position.  They see what they want to see.

So like every voter in human history?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
So like every voter in human history?

All I want is to be left alone to try to prosper among other folks who are being left alone to try to prosper.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
All I want is to be left alone to try to prosper among other folks who are being left alone to try to prosper.

That's selfish......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »
That's selfish......

I'm not overly interested in ingratiating myself with anyone  ;)