Author Topic: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.  (Read 17736 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/21/2601470/newt-gingrich-stomps-mitt-romney.html

Gingrich won big time in South Carolina, gaining 41 percent of the vote to Romney's 27 percent. Rick Santorum won 17 percent and Ron Paul 13 percent.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/21/2601470/newt-gingrich-stomps-mitt-romney.html#storylink=cpy

Even if you don't like Newt so much, it's good to see Romney get his hind parts handed to him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Newt cleans up in South Cackalacky.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
Wow - this is quite an interesting twist of events.

GOP in turmoil - news at 11!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
Yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

It would be interesting to see Santorum drop out due to lack of cash, something Paul does not lack, IIRC.

I would like to see how the religious right vote got sliced.  I suspect Santorum & Gingrich cornered it and Mitt got diddly-squat.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:46 PM »
But how did Herman Cain fair?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
South Carolina primary results certainly are going to make things interesting.  Unless something happens, Newt may take the Southern States.  FL will tell the tale in about 10 days.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »
I would like to see how the religious right vote got sliced.  I suspect Santorum & Gingrich cornered it and Mitt got diddly-squat.

I would expect some RR support for Paul, too. In 2008, we had a family visit our church, and set up a Ron Paul pamphlet booth outside of our outdoor potluck church social thing.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »
Well, Newt blew Romney and everyone else out of the water.

This should be interesting.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
I would expect some RR support for Paul, too. In 2008, we had a family visit our church, and set up a Ron Paul pamphlet booth outside of our outdoor potluck church social thing.

Ayup.  I do suspect Santorum gets more of the RR due to his more conventional persona.  I would not mind being surprised, though, since Paul is right there with Santorum on the abortion issue, while both Newt & Mitt have been shaky in the past.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:26:59 AM »

The RR is steering away from Paul on account of his "liberal" views on abortion, prostitution, and drugs. Please folks, don't concern "liberal" with libertarian, or states' rights.

I live in Greenville Co., the most populous of the two "key" counties in the Upstate (and the rest of state for that matter)

Here's the breakdown. Frankly I thought Santorum would poll higher. Mitt's numbers I am not surprised at, as he is seen as a typical smooth talking weaselly yankee interloper who has been picked by the yankee lawyers in *spit* parts north.

I may be overstating that a bit though. I don't know entirely what the voting demographic is like in Greenville. There are a large number of conservative-minded immigrants who have moved here from all over the country on account of our growing economy.

I like Paul. Hell I'd have voted for Paul if I thought he could win, even accounting for his foreign policy, parts of which I substantially disagree with. I hope whoever wins sticks him somewhere in the Cabinet where he can do the most damage to the bureacracy. I truly think that if the rest of the country knew just how completely *boned* we are financially he would be a shoo-in. Slash and burn fiscal policy is the ONLY way out of the horrible, horrible mess we are in.

I went with Gingrich. I do like him. I don't especially trust him. He is the insider's insider. I'd have been happier with Cain, inexperienced though he was. But Gingrich has flair. He has polish. He has ideas even if he has not had private sector experience (something I respect about Romney, even if he has his finger in the wind more often than not).

But most importantly Newt has killer instinct. Newt has an uncanny way of deciphering the crux of the issue, breaking it down, and going for the throat--that last part is something I have never seen Romney do as well. (And, by the way, this is something I liked about Newt even when his campaign was falling apart last year. Remember that?)

We need a fighter to go after Obama. Not a moderate. I know Gingrich is polling really poorly among women on account of his at-times regrettable personal life, and generally against Obama. I expect that second item is partly because his message has not reached far outside the Republican party as of yet. That is a risk, and an opportunity, worth taking in my opinion. Anyways I have pontificated long enough.

The numbers for my county.

President
           1 Seat to Fill
           Michele Bachmann .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .        49     .06
           Herman Cain.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .       789    1.03
           Newt Gingrich .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    30,520   39.68
           Jon Huntsman  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .       135     .18
           Gary Johnson  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .        36     .05
           Ron Paul.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    12,062   15.68
           Rick Perry .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .       245     .32
           Mitt Romney.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    19,570   25.44
           Rick Santorum .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    13,509   17.56
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 02:44:20 AM »
I went with Gingrich. I do like him. I don't especially trust him. He is the insider's insider. I'd have been happier with Cain, inexperienced though he was. But Gingrich has flair. He has polish. He has ideas even if he has not had private sector experience (something I respect about Romney, even if he has his finger in the wind more often than not).

But most importantly Newt has killer instinct. Newt has an uncanny way of deciphering the crux of the issue, breaking it down, and going for the throat--that last part is something I have never seen Romney do as well. (And, by the way, this is something I liked about Newt even when his campaign was falling apart last year. Remember that?)

We need a fighter to go after Obama. Not a moderate. I know Gingrich is polling really poorly among women on account of his at-times regrettable personal life, and generally against Obama. I expect that second item is partly because his message has not reached far outside the Republican party as of yet. That is a risk, and an opportunity, worth taking in my opinion. Anyways I have pontificated long enough.

For me, it was most telling when Gingrich was pounding the table on the whole Clinton scandal, and then it turns out he was doing the same activity at the same time. In my opinion, that made him significantly worse than Clinton. Clinton didn't try to claim he was anything other than what he was.

I am still confused and mystified that the religious right supports him. I'd really appreciate some logical explanation of how such an amoral hypocrite can still get such strong support from a group totally at odds with his conduct.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
The difference I see between Newt and Bill is that Bill lied until he got caught, and that is what got him in trouble.  I don't think people cared as much about him playing hide the cigar as they were with him lying about it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »
Newt is bad news. He may be witty and a good debater, but his message is crap. He WANTS big Government. Big Government for his big ego. We won't be any better off having him in the White House. He is a political influence broker. He really likes draconian laws such as the Patriot Act. That right there is a huge red flag. Forget about him not being able to keep an oath, he is hungry for power. Along with Romney, he's got dollar signs in his eyes.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:06 AM »
For me, it was most telling when Gingrich was pounding the table on the whole Clinton scandal, and then it turns out he was doing the same activity at the same time. In my opinion, that made him significantly worse than Clinton. Clinton didn't try to claim he was anything other than what he was.

I am still confused and mystified that the religious right supports him. I'd really appreciate some logical explanation of how such an amoral hypocrite can still get such strong support from a group totally at odds with his conduct.

Folks may roll their eyes, but Newt claims to have been born again Catholic and put off the old man.  So do his daughters from marriage number one and current wife number three (and maybe wife number one, too).  Forgiveness of the truly contrite lies close to the heart of most Christian denominations and some folks take "practice what you preach" seriously.

Not sure i buy it, but it sure is an odd coalition of family members who vouch for him.  Either way, I still think he is a dubious nominee.  If we get rino for the gop candidate, a Mitt rino with Newts fiesty demeanor would be better.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »

The bolded part there has me really confused. Clinton's lie about the Lewinsky scandal is one of the things he's best known for. He was disbarred for perjury, was he not?

This is the first I've heard of Newt's numbers being especially high with the religious right. Source?  ???

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »
The extent of Gingrich's win was surprising and impressive.  He dominated the state except for Richland Co (RINO land of state government) and the lower coast.  Romney was thumped.  Is this the TEA types strike against the Man?  Idunknow.  Ron Paul made a respectable showing but not where I thought he'd be strong.  Santorum?  (yawn).

I voted Paul because he was the guy who would swing the biggest wrecking ball hardest and fastest and was promptly set upon by my daughters.  Interestingly they've been raised on a steady diet of personal freedomresponsibility.  Yet when explaining why they didn't like Paul as a candidate they haul out drugs and foreign policy.  Based on a sample size of two I'd have to say Paul/libertarians have a problem with messaging and and an unacceptable front man. 

Google results paints the picture of the extent of Gingrich's victory.

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
It may very well be that the voters of SC are primarily of the age where they remember how Newt led and voted as leader of the House.

The propaganda mill has pretty much obfuscated a decent congressional voting record.

Newt is a big government guy yes, the only one not is Paul.

We don't stand any chance of seeing a rollback of government under a Romney presidency, under a Gingrich presidency we could actually see some positive movement.

Project Vote Smart has all the votes and endorsements of our policritters:

http://www.votesmart.org/candidate/evaluations/26821/newt-gingrich
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Folks may roll their eyes, but Newt claims to have been born again Catholic and put off the old man.  So do his daughters from marriage number one and current wife number three (and maybe wife number one, too).  Forgiveness of the truly contrite lies close to the heart of most Christian denominations and some folks take "practice what you preach" seriously.
Not sure i buy it, but it sure is an odd coalition of family members who vouch for him.  Either way, I still think he is a dubious nominee.  If we get rino for the gop candidate, a Mitt rino with Newts fiesty demeanor would be better.

That is my take on the RR support shifting in his favor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

What the SC vote is telling us is that with all his warts Newt is the one who best reflects what First America wants in a leader.  There are a lot of Americans now who really don't believe in Romney's sweetness and light pragmatism; they realize that what is at stake in 2012 is about a lot more than "jobs."  They recognize the moral and cultural issues that underlie the economic problems we've developed.  The nation is polarizing, not coming together, and Newt is embodying the will toward separation.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
Newt is bad news. He may be witty and a good debater, but his message is crap. He WANTS big Government. Big Government for his big ego. We won't be any better off having him in the White House. He is a political influence broker. He really likes draconian laws such as the Patriot Act. That right there is a huge red flag. Forget about him not being able to keep an oath, he is hungry for power. Along with Romney, he's got dollar signs in his eyes.

What First America wants is not a libertarian but an enlightened nationalist.  It's not about small or big government right now, it's about a growing rightwing populist movement that Newt is well-positioned to take advantage of.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:13:18 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
Newt picked up a lot of votes in the SC primary when he took the moderator to task for opening the last debate with a question about Newt's ex-wife. I think people especially liked it when the moderator tried to duck responsibility by saying it was "another network" and Newt said words to the effect of "No, it was YOU and YOUR staff who STARTED this debate that way, so don't try to blame someone else!"

Newt is FAR from the ideal candidate - he still claims he presided over a balanced budget as Speaker (he didn't, the budget wasn't actually balanced since the national debt continued to increase) and he still favors a form of amnesty for some illegals. But he has good things to say about Ron Paul's economic positions, and with Newt, we MIGHT get a good SCOTUS nomination.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
He is far from ideal, true, but they all are.  And their imperfection reflects the division and confusion inside the country along with the sclerotic political process controlled by the establishment.  Newt is willing to say things the others are not about the state of the culture, and it is resonating. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
What First America wants is not a libertarian but an enlightened nationalist.  It's not about small or big government right now, it's about a growing rightwing populist movement that Newt is well-positioned to take advantage of.

Are we looking at a possible1933 redux then? I just get the creepiest feeling that Newt might end up trying to name himself  First Citizen of the Homeland or some such totalitarian entitlement.

"All hail First Citizen Newt!"
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
More likely to come from Obama, that.  He's pretty much there already.

An aside about Ron Paul: too many of his supporters--I don't mean the people here--are young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military.  It's not about idealism, it's about me-first.  Unfortunately, that kind of escapism, while certainly reflecting the peace and prosperity bubble of the last half-century that most younger people have enjoyed, doesn't conform well with what lies ahead.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:46:38 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »
Is Newt an ideal candidate? No, he isn't. He has some issues I don't agree with, and some things I do agree but would modify some. But, IMO, he is the best of the four still in the running and so got my vote yesterday after bouncing back and fourth a bit.

Romney or Santorum? Not just no. But hell no. Especially not in primary season.

Ron Paul? I like Paul. I want to like Ron Paul more than I do. I think he represents a good direction and is probably the most honest politician you are likely to find in Washington. When he speaks I'm right there with him...but then comes the problem. I'm right there with him but then he has to go and jump off the freaking cliff and into a direction I just don't agree with or I feel he misses the point of the problem.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
An aside about Ron Paul: too many of his supporters--I don't mean the people here--are young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military.  It's about idealism, it's about me-first.  Unfortunately, that kind of escapism, while certainly reflecting the peace and prosperity bubble of the last half-century that most younger people have enjoyed, doesn't conform well with what lies ahead.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/contrib.php?id=N00005906

I agree, the US Army, US Navy and US Air Force are filled with young people who like getting high and have no interest in serving in the military. They are idealists who are all about the me-first escapism. Obviously a bunch of young punks spoiled on peace and prosperity. Like any of them have even seen a war zone!

;)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.