Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer to have an abortion after drunken one-night stand  (Read 9785 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099708/Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-decides-abortion-having-drunken-unprotected-sex-party.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I guess Joss Whedon has continued a bunch of BVS comic books after the show ended in 2003. 

His latest feminism uber alles ploy is to have BVS get sloppy drunk, sleep with lots of guys and get knocked up.  Too bad BVS didn't get a basic knowledge of birth control to go with her super powers.

Here, I am not making this up:
He told told Entertainment Weekly: 'A woman's right to choose is under attack as much as it's ever been, and that's a terrible and dangerous thing for this country.

'I don't usually get soap box-y with this, but the thing about Buffy is all she's going through is what women go through, and what nobody making a speech, holding up a placard, or making a movie is willing to say.

'It's something that over a third of American women are going to decide to have to do in their lives. But people are so terrified that no one will discuss the reality of it — not no one, but very few popular entertainments, even when they say they're dealing with this issue, they don't, and won't. It's frustrating to me. I don't think Buffy should have a baby. I don't think Buffy can take care of a baby. I agree with Buffy.'

So, in order to promote abortion, Whedon sets up a situation where the protagonist is an unemployable black-out drunk who sleeps around so frequently she can't figure out with whom she got knocked up.  Oh, yeah, I can see this comic book flying off the shelves with the comic book kid demographic.

It is odd that Whedon does not see that this makes feminism look ugly & tawdry.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer to have an abortion after drunken one-night stand
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Well, roo_ster, this is a guy who thinks he is defending the "right to choose" by writing comic books about a girl that fights vampires. Don't expect too much from him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I got an idea that can save this tawdriness! =D
She gets knocked up by a vampire!!!! =D [tinfoil]
So she gets to have to abort a vampire baby! =D
That way the main theme of the series remains intact and Buffy remains a hero! =D

Wait ..... that doesn't really eliminate the "tawdriness" of this .... does it?..... [popcorn]

Oooooooops.

:facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Well, roo_ster, this is a guy who thinks he is defending the "right to choose" by writing comic books about a girl that fights vampires. Don't expect too much from him.

Narrative art is motivated by the author's values, film at 11.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
Put her in a Twilight movie and have her have to choose between Jacob or Edward.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »
So she gets to have to abort a vampire baby! =D

Does that involve a really tiny wooden stake?

Put her in a Twilight movie and have her have to choose between Jacob or Edward.

That one involves a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of sleeping pills.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Well, maybe she wouldn't even have to choose..... =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
I thought they propagated by biting. 

The only vampires and zombies are the politicians and the electorate, respectively.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Judging by the description, she would get drunk and take both. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
First, if he wanted reality, she would end up with curable and incurable venereal disease of one type or another.  Throw in some drugs, a couple arrests, and a tasing for good measure.

Second, I guess in his world, the woman's right to choose is to go on a drinking binge, screw everyone in sight, and not have to accept the consequences.  It seems to me that pregnancy is by far not the worst consequence.

Third and most crude, he would sell more comics if he focused on the drinking binge and the relevant activities; save the last page for the whole right to choose mess.  Heard it before anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »
Let the vampire child live!!

She could be another Kate Beckinsale!

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
Narrative art is motivated by the author's values, film at 11.

Oh, no doubt. It's just funny that he seems to think of it as weighty commentary that everyone else is afraid to say.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
Oh, no doubt. It's just funny that he seems to think of it as weighty commentary that everyone else is afraid to say.

Cheap courage to say what everyone else in one's industry says.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Judging by the description, she would get drunk and take both. 

A great improvement on the original Twilight.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »

It is fairly controversial - how many other people have portrayed a heroine as having an abortion on television?  

Just because most of hollywood supports abortion doesn't mean they're willing to weave it into their TV shows, and they mostly do not.

Edit: Yes, I see this is a comic book - comic books are a much darker, more controversial medium than TV and always have been.  Not so courageous after all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:04:52 PM by De Selby »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »
I could see Faith doing this, but not Buffy.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »

Edit: Yes, I see this is a comic book - comic books are a much darker (in a very shallow sort of way), more controversial medium than TV and always have been.  Not so courageous after all.
I've read comics.  They really aren't so dark and controversial.  They try to be, but can't really do it with any depth and mostly it is just too contrived like a lot of TV dramas.  From what I remember they rarely if ever buck the politically correct opinion. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
I've read comics.  They really aren't so dark and controversial.  They try to be, but can't really do it with any depth and mostly it is just too contrived like a lot of TV dramas.  From what I remember they rarely if ever buck the politically correct opinion. 

Not that Buffy's right to choose is anything other than politically correct.  =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
Not that Buffy's right to choose is anything other than politically correct.  =)
Yeah, where was her right to choose with regard to becoming the Slayer?  Where is the right to choose for all the women the vampires kill?  Just like real life, right to choose is only important as an argument for abortion.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Yeah, where was her right to choose with regard to becoming the Slayer?  Where is the right to choose for all the women the vampires kill?  Just like real life, right to choose is only important as an argument for abortion.

What about all the Vegan vampires she slays?  What about their right to choose?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
What about all the Vegan vampires she slays?  What about their right to choose?

What about the unborn baby's right to choose?
"It's good, though..."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/09/holy-terror-frank-miller/

He also has been vocally anti-OWS.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
longeyes quipped:

The only vampires and zombies are the politicians and the electorate, respectively.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/09/holy-terror-frank-miller/

He also has been vocally anti-OWS.
Thanks, but I have no intention of going back to comics.  Too many good books I haven't read. 

As an aside, books like David Drake's Hammer's Slammers stories are dark.  Few comics reach that level.  On the entertainment side, books like Monster Hunter International and Rats, Bats, and Vats are way more entertaining. 

That said, I still have to watch all the comic hero movies coming out no matter how bad. Too buried in my childhood imagination.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
And anyway, 'dark' doesn't equal 'good' or even 'smart' or 'insightful'.