Author Topic: Get Off My Mountain!  (Read 5997 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Get Off My Mountain!
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Get Off My Mountain!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Paul Bunyon.....John Galt......Jeremiah Johnson......D.B. Cooper?

Looks as if the legend is growing.....

I smugly am pleased that all of today's military / LE technology is of no help!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
Another reason to always be armed.

yup.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:06 PM »
I smugly am pleased that all of today's military / LE technology is of no help!  =D

It just hasn't been tried. They could try putting tracking devices on the stuff he likes to steal, for example. Or booby-trapping a few doors, on unoccupied homes.

Interesting story. Sounds like he's smart enough to avoid occupied dwellings.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
Probably some local state rep out playing mountain man when not in session.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Remember how long it took to catch the barefoot bandit, and they knew who he was?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
Paul Bunyon.....John Galt......Jeremiah Johnson......D.B. Cooper?

Looks as if the legend is growing.....

In addition to RKL's comments, I imagine at this point they have no idea where to even look. The picture/location in the article is two months old. He could be anywhere, and they're not going to tie up deputies from multiple, sparsely populated counties looking for him.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
Plus (without looking) I'm sure it's a rural jurisdiction, and probably a rather large county in area at that. So I'm sure that there's not a lot of budget for choppers, NV, or FLIR either. Or even just simple manpower.

I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:15 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
Vent rib and dogleg bolt handle . . . Remington 600?

Says he likes to steal booze . . . wonder how long until someone leaves a "special" bottle for him (or any other burglar) to find . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
 Sound similar to the Ballarat Bandit, before he was caught the story was he was either  Russian or American Special Forces with training to evade any LE. Turns out he was a depressed guy who failed at pot growing ... or that could be what they want us to believe
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
Also Eric Rudolph who hid in NC for several years.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
The bag over his shoulder reminds me of some kit we had in the Army. I think it was supposed to be for storing MOPP gear.  

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:03:12 PM »
I hate to say it, but it's kinda halfway cool he's out there by himself. I'd leave him a copy of Under The Banner of Heaven and In To Thin Air.

It also can't be all that hard to catch him. Track the toys he likes, put out more game camera's and such.

Hell, you could trank him and relocate him to some more remote location, like you do wolfs.

He liked In To The Wild, maybe he'd like Alaska.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Wonder if he drinks his own urine.?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
Wonder if he drinks his own urine.?

only as a chaser probably, if no coca cola is available.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »
He has this look on his face as he knows the camera is there but is basically saying f you.  Find me bitches.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
We're not, like, admiring this guy that lives off of other people's stuff, and wrecks their houses, are we?  =|

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
its nyra approved.  its part of the manifesto
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
We're not, like, admiring this guy that lives off of other people's stuff, and wrecks their houses, are we?  =|

It's possible to admire something without condoning it. Sure, his actions are deplorable, but the fact remains that this guy is apparently pulling some fairly impressive SERE stunts.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
It's possible to admire something without condoning it. Sure, his actions are deplorable, but the fact remains that this guy is apparently pulling some fairly impressive SERE stunts.

Is he? Maybe you've read more about this than I have (just that article, so far). From the article, it sounds like he is "surviving" by treating homes like grocery/hardware stores, and just avoiding populated areas. That doesn't seem like something that requires a lot of skill or character.

Maybe I just don't know enough about him, though.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
Is he? Maybe you've read more about this than I have (just that article, so far). From the article, it sounds like he is "surviving" by treating homes like grocery/hardware stores, and just avoiding populated areas. That doesn't seem like something that requires a lot of skill or character.

Maybe I just don't know enough about him, though.

Even with the stays in cabins, what he is doing is impressive in skill. So much can go really wrong, really fast in the backwoods.

No, I don't condone his theiving and desicration of the cabins, but if he had not done those things evenyou would be going "wow! That's cool!"

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »
stealing from "the man" always seems glamorous to the young.  till they acquire things and some barbarian tries to take their things.  then things change rapido
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
stealing from "the man" always seems glamorous to the young.  till they acquire things and some barbarian tries to take their things.  then things change rapido
;/

Who said they condoned his stealing, or his distruction?

Hell, I would also throw in littering as a major issue with this guy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »
No, I don't condone his theiving and desicration of the cabins, but if he had not done those things evenyou would be going "wow! That's cool!"

Well maybe not so much. This one story only tells us this one perspective, but what I'm getting out of it is that he might not be doing so hot on the survival front if he wasn't stealing everyone's food.

Anyone with some moderate camping skills can survive in the wilderness in Winter if they have plenty of food handy. Plus it sounds like he's been sleeping in warm cabin beds as well.

The best one can say for him is that he's managed not to get caught (or shot) yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."