Author Topic: Japanese wedding kimono  (Read 1037 times)

cambeul41

• friend
Japanese wedding kimono
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
I have in my possession a Japanese wedding kimono reputed to have been worn by her Imperial Highness Chichibu. The certificate so attesting has been long since lost.

My parents wished it to go to a museum; but, some years ago when I tried to find one that was interested, I found none that were.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with it?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Japanese wedding kimono
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »

How much ya want for it?   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
I'd start with some decent photography and the Imperial Household Agency.  The website does not provide an e-mail address, but there is a snail mail address.  They should provide some ID on the kimono and, if they are not interested, perhaps a reference to a museum that might be.

A brief look a google kicks out reference to Prince Chichibu.  That you refer to Her Imperial Highness may just be a hiccup in the family lore surrounding your kimono or could be an indication that it is not what you think it is.  (Does the kimono have open sleeve ends, as women's kimonos do, or are they closed except for the outlet for the arm, as for men?)  Regardless, it would be well to get the sex right when communicating with the Imperial Household Agency.  Ooops!  Belay m'last! 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:34:51 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
A brief look a google kicks out reference to Prince Chichibu.  That you refer to Her Imperial Highness may just be a hiccup in the family lore surrounding your kimono or could be an indication that it is not what you think it is.  (Does the kimono have open sleeve ends, as women's kimonos do, or are they closed except for the outlet for the arm, as for men?)  Regardless, it would be well to get the sex right when communicating with the Imperial Household Agency.

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-about/genealogy/koseizu.html

There is a Prince and Princess Chichibu.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
Does it fit?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
I have in my possession a Japanese wedding kimono reputed to have been worn by her Imperial Highness Chichibu. The certificate so attesting has been long since lost.

My parents wished it to go to a museum; but, some years ago when I tried to find one that was interested, I found none that were.

Contact the Vatican and see if they'll trade you for the shroud of Turin - that would be easier to move on eBay, as it's gotten a lot more media exposure.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."