Author Topic: GOP candidates' policies: projected effects on US debt  (Read 3169 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
GOP candidates' policies: projected effects on US debt
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:44:14 AM »
Guess who does best at putting a dent in it...

http://crfb.org/document/primary-numbers-gop-candidates-and-national-debt

You can go ahead and award yourself @P$2,000,000,000,000 (Armed Polite Society fiat digital currency notes) if you got it right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:17:05 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: GOP candidates' policies: proyected effects on US debt
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
Paul of course. Didn't need the report to know that.

Although Romney was far better than I expected.  ???

A Romney/Paul ticket might be our best hope, or Paul in a cabinet position with some actual fiscal teeth might be the best we can hope for.

Not as bad as Gingrich although everyone but his backers knew he was a space-cadet, but Santorum's numbers show him to be the moralizing RINO he actually is.

Although overall the most frightening thing was that even Paul's numbers didn't really chew down the debt below 75% of GDP, and of course that's assuming Congress would give him a budget he was willing to sign, and assuming he actually was able to hold onto the reins of policy for the full eight years, and then after that... it's game-on again.

Even if Paul was POTUS, and Congress was Republican landslided, and amenable to every last cut he wanted... What we'd really need are STRUCTURAL/CONSTITUTIONAL changes so such deficit spending is IMPOSSIBLE no matter who's in power, or what their economic policies are.

I can only conclude even the Paul presidency of (some of) our dreams... would only buy us some time and breathing room. Not a "fix".
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
So, basically I find out my evil cynical dark side was right after all; there really is little hope we'll be able to dig ourselves out of this 15+++ trillion dollar debt.
Ron Paul is not going to be president.  I'm sorry I am just calling it as I see it. 
His foreign policy stuff is frightening.
His domestic policy is actually pretty dang good over-all (I have problems with some of his ideas that have nothing to do with balancing budgets).
But he does not have the votes, so we're stuck with candidates with a somewhat saner foreign policy but who are too timid on domestic budgetary stuff.

Cr@p.

You know, I should REALLY consider getting into prepping more seriously ........  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
Although Romney was far better than I expected.

That surprised me too. I still don't like him but he is now less prone to evoke projectile vomiting when I see him. It seems he is willing to tone down the flames a little more than I expected, but I still fully see him keeping true to the current course into hell.

I can only conclude even the Paul presidency of (some of) our dreams... would only buy us some time and breathing room. Not a "fix".

I don't see much brightness either. As much as I would like to believe otherwise, it is becoming more and more obvious that the whole thing will come crashing down regardless of what is done, and that our future and hopes lay not in what we will keep going from the current system but what we will create out of its demise.

I think that the real appeal of getting Paul in the Oval Office has always been the debate he could spark. For the first time in 100 years we could have a serious discussion of the role of public-private central banking, the Federal Reserve and our lack of monetary sovereignty. We could discuss being something other than world police. We could seriously scrutinize the Constitutional trespasses of the Federal Government that we have all been educated to take for granted.

You know, I should REALLY consider getting into prepping more seriously ........  Tinfoil Hat Smiley

You know, at this point in time, "prepping" in and of itself does not seem to be exclusive to the realm of tinfoilhattery anymore. BTW I am not a prepper, but I can see prepping as so much more than canned food and guns. There is definitely a financial aspect to it and more importantly a spiritual/psychological aspect that helps you cope with seeing everything you believed in crumbling down and being exposed as failures or lies/fabrications/illusions.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
Let me be the first to say it: anybody who thinks Ron Paul or Rand Paul will get a VP slot or a cabinet position out of the current unpleasantness is living in a dreamworld.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
Let me be the first to say it: anybody who thinks Ron Paul or Rand Paul will get a VP slot or a cabinet position out of the current unpleasantness is living in a dreamworld.

Total betting odds on this? Then the answer is "Yes" you're obviously right.

However.. you're forgetting the "Sarah Palin Factor", has reinvigorated the "surprise pick" as a tactic to shore up the base in the GOP. Granted it's moot since ultimately they didn't win the White House as we all know. However, I assure you there are no campaign managers or election strategists who don't remember the AMAZING bounce she gave the McCain campaign.

So while it's a definite long-shot, Picking someone like Ron or Rand Paul for VP or a cabinet spot... don't count it out entirely either.
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Although overall the most frightening thing was that even Paul's numbers didn't really chew down the debt below 75% of GDP, and of course that's assuming Congress would give him a budget he was willing to sign, and assuming he actually was able to hold onto the reins of policy for the full eight years, and then after that... it's game-on again.

Ron Paul: Not quite extreme enough to get the job done.

That surprised me too. I still don't like him but he is now less prone to evoke projectile vomiting when I see him. It seems he is willing to tone down the flames a little more than I expected, but I still fully see him keeping true to the current course into hell.

Hard liquor helps.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
Ron Paul: Not quite extreme enough to get the job done.

Hard liquor helps.

I think one or both of these statements would look very good on a bumper sticker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
Total betting odds on this? Then the answer is "Yes" you're obviously right.

However.. you're forgetting the "Sarah Palin Factor", has reinvigorated the "surprise pick" as a tactic to shore up the base in the GOP. Granted it's moot since ultimately they didn't win the White House as we all know. However, I assure you there are no campaign managers or election strategists who don't remember the AMAZING bounce she gave the McCain campaign.

So while it's a definite long-shot, Picking someone like Ron or Rand Paul for VP or a cabinet spot... don't count it out entirely either.

True, but Papa Paul is anathema to a lot of the base, just for a different segment than Romney.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
Re: GOP candidates' policies: projected effects on US debt
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
Although Romney was far better than I expected.

His plan looks 'status quo' which simply isn't going to cut it.

Having his plan is a matter of driving the bus off the cliff at 55 MPH instead of 75 MPH- the bus simply gets to the cliff a little later and doesn't travel as far before going nose first onto the rocks below.

The only way we are going to get back on the right track is to significantly reduce the size and scope of the federal government.

The best we could hope for would be a Romney/Paul ticket with Romney (along with every rino congresscritter) suffering a massive heart attack the day after his inaugeration.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:26:47 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: GOP candidates' policies: projected effects on US debt
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
Looking at all the former members of congress who were on the committee that put this study together, it gives me pause for doubt.

That would be the same members of congress who spent us into this mess to begin with when they were in office.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.