Author Topic: Right to assemble made illegal if Dear Leader is around - H. R. 347  (Read 3035 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/212873-house-approves-white-house-trespass-bill-sends-to-obama

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-347

It seems you can't assemble or protest anywhere near someone who is eligible for Secret Service protection. I suppose to petition Government for a redress of grievances you are now limited to writing a polite letter.

This and the NDAA will come in handy for the G8 summit this year.  :police:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Regolith

• friend
Re: Right to assemble made illegal if Dear Leader is around - H. R. 347
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »
From what I can tell, it's not as bad as detractors are making it out to be in some ways and really bad in others.  See this article:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/03/01/does-hr-347-the-trespass-bill-change-any

Basically, it's just an update to a law that's already on the books so that it covers DC as well (which, for some odd reason, wasn't covered in the federal law and was operating on local laws).

The bad part is they changed the "knowingly and willfully" part to just "knowingly".  So if you accidentally enter an area that the SS has cordoned off (say, a building where an SS protectee is visiting), and you had no idea that you weren't supposed to be there, you can still get a year in the clink, whereas before they had to prove you entered the area knowing that the area was cordoned off and that it was illegal for you to be there.

Oh, and if you're carrying they get to toss you in jail for 10 years.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:46:09 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
. . .  So if you accidentally enter an area that the SS has cordoned off (say, a building where an SS protectee is visiting), and you had no idea that you weren't supposed to be there, you can still get a year in the clink,  . . .
How does one accidentally enter an area that's been cordoned off? Wouldn't there have to be, well, an actual cordon (fences, line of uniformed cops, etc.) which are sort of hard to overlook?

Breaking a cordon (climbing over a fence, pushing past cops as part of a crowd, etc.) would be one thing, but I would be very surprised if someone who accidentally entered such an area - perhaps because the cordon wasn't actually complete - would go to the klink for any longer than it took authorities to drop charges - at worst, a case of beating the rap, but not beating the ride.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
I've accidentally entered a "Cordoned off area" before.

Security detail showed up late. I was already in the area. Then they hassled me about being in the security zone that they had, in effect, erected around me.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »
I've accidentally entered a "Cordoned off area" before.

Security detail showed up late. I was already in the area. Then they hassled me about being in the security zone that they had, in effect, erected around me.
Any details you're willing to share?

And how much time did you serve in prison?  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
Any details you're willing to share?

And how much time did you serve in prison?

It wasn't actually a secure area he entered. It had the yellow tape for "caution, wet floors" around it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
It wasn't actually a secure area he entered. It had the yellow tape for "caution, wet floors" around it.
No problem - the ones to worry about are the placards reading "Piso Mojado."  :O

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
From what I can tell, it's not as bad as detractors are making it out to be in some ways and really bad in others.  See this article:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/03/01/does-hr-347-the-trespass-bill-change-any

Basically, it's just an update to a law that's already on the books so that it covers DC as well (which, for some odd reason, wasn't covered in the federal law and was operating on local laws).

The bad part is they changed the "knowingly and willfully" part to just "knowingly".  So if you accidentally enter an area that the SS has cordoned off (say, a building where an SS protectee is visiting), and you had no idea that you weren't supposed to be there, you can still get a year in the clink, whereas before they had to prove you entered the area knowing that the area was cordoned off and that it was illegal for you to be there.

Oh, and if you're carrying they get to toss you in jail for 10 years.

I don't think you can knowingly accidentally enter an area. ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
I don't think you can knowingly accidentally enter an area. ???

You basically just have to know that you walked into the building/area. You DON'T have to know that you weren't supposed to be there.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:05 AM »
The Bill does not just cover entering a "restricted" building or area, but also being in the proximity of one. It effectively gives authorities the tool to give protestors a year in prison for peacefully assembling in proximity to where Government is located. Two conditions for throwing you in prison: gathering outside an area deemed restricted and the claim you are impeding Government business, both of which are entire subjective and vague, I believe deliberately so.

The essence of a protest is to be seen and heard. Next, you will be expected to use a "free speech booth" to voice your concerns. Or write a polite letter as I said before, as strong worded ones probably won't be read.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:11:47 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »
Next, you will be expected to use a "free speech booth" to voice your concerns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_amendment_zone2.jpg
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?