Author Topic: Good 2A new from Maryland  (Read 4718 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Good 2A new from Maryland
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »
Judge rule MD gun law unconstitutional.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/05/federal-judge-rules-maryland-gun-permit-law-unconstitutional/

Here is the money quote.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights," Legg wrote. "The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/05/federal-judge-rules-maryland-gun-permit-law-unconstitutional/#ixzz1oHwYi1tJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Good 2A new from Maryland
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Judge rule MD gun law unconstitutional.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/05/federal-judge-rules-maryland-gun-permit-law-unconstitutional/

Here is the money quote.

I'm guessing this is not the same circus that Illinois is in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
It is similar I do believe.  Anyway if this goes all the way to SCOTUS and they rule this way also should spell the end of any need of CCW permits and in my mind gives of National Recip based on the 2A.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
This is great, great, great news, freaking awesome and spectacular news.
The reasoning that MD used is the same as NYC and CA too, that you have to prove a need-as if the Bill Of Rights is somehow magically the bill of needs.

When this gets shoved down blameburgs throat it will be so incredibly delicious - SF California too :cool: :cool: =D =D =D

we may well get CCW in NYC and SF & DC before we get nat reciprocity - but their whole house of cards is crumbling.

Alan Gura for President of the world!!! yee haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
FROM calguns.net 2A sub forum

Default Gura: Force of Nature
I have the honor of being co-counsel with Alan Gura on a couple of cases here in California. Today we received notification of favorable outcomes in two cases in other states. One in which he played the crucial role of lead counsel (the Maryland Carry case) and another in which he appeared as amicus counsel (the Colorado Campus Carry case).

His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art. Michelangelo's David and Pieta would have been enough, but the Sistine Chapel too?

Or if you prefer sports analogies: He isn't just on his way to winning the Triple Crown, he looks ready to repeat Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in 1973. Not only destroying the only other good horse in the country brave enough to enter the race (Sham), but setting a track record while doing it.

Or if you prefer military analogies, imagine if the 101st had not just broken out of Bastogne on their own (without Patton's help), but had gone on to crush the German counter-offensive (the Bulge) single-handedly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Although I am a lawyer, NONE of my posts on this website are to be construed as legal advice. NONE!

P.S. I get the top bunk.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:55:59 AM »
This is frackin' awesome....   Oregon has pretty good CHL laws, but it's still got room for improvement, especially with some of the liberal nutjobs taking a whack at gun rights every legislative session.  We've managed to beat them back, but it gets tiring.   But for CA, NY, Chicago....   This has the potential to be a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »
This is frackin' awesome....   Oregon has pretty good CHL laws, but it's still got room for improvement, especially with some of the liberal nutjobs taking a whack at gun rights every legislative session.  We've managed to beat them back, but it gets tiring.   But for CA, NY, Chicago....   This has the potential to be a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th....

OR doesn't recognize any other state's CCW permit, and they make a PITA to get a non-resident permit.  Given how much family I have from Portland to Eugene it would be really nice to have the ability to carry there without an OR permit.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »

Can we start a slush fund for Gura?  "Here is a pile of cash. Please use however the heck you feel like it."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
OR doesn't recognize any other state's CCW permit, and they make a PITA to get a non-resident permit.  Given how much family I have from Portland to Eugene it would be really nice to have the ability to carry there without an OR permit.

I went to Grant County to get mine. No muss, no fuss, had it in hand in five days. Sheriff Palmer is extremely pro-gun and encourages residents of bordering states to apply. I'm told Jackson County is also easy, and it's closer to Eugene (Grant County Sheriff is in Canyon City).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
Anyway if this goes all the way to SCOTUS and they rule this way also should spell the end of any need of CCW permits and in my mind gives of National Recip based on the 2A.

Agreed.  His language stating that 2a rights go beyond the home is especially interesting, in that I've not read similar language in any other decision, as much as it clearly makes sense to those of us around here.  If you have the right to bear arms, why would that right be lmited in any way just because you walk out your front door?  I'm sure someone will make a "reasonable restriction" argument as they do with 1A free speech, but that would be a real win for our side as it would be subject to strict scrutiny by a reviewing court, meaning esentially that restrictions of any kind are wrong unless it can be proven otherwise.

this will be fun to watch how it plays out...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
I'm sure someone will make a "reasonable restriction" argument as they do with 1A free speech, but that would be a real win for our side as it would be subject to strict scrutiny by a reviewing court, meaning esentially that restrictions of any kind are wrong unless it can be proven otherwise.

If we get strict scrutiny, we've won. Semi permanently. The overwhelming majority of anti-2A laws would be struck down.  Except for the usual "felons have no rights", etc laws.  Striking down the Hughes Amendment might be interesting.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:13 AM »
Agreed.  His language stating that 2a rights go beyond the home is especially interesting, in that I've not read similar language in any other decision, as much as it clearly makes sense to those of us around here.  If you have the right to bear arms, why would that right be lmited in any way just because you walk out your front door? 

More gun lobby propaganda. We all know that crimes rarely occur outside the home.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
More gun lobby propaganda. We all know that crimes rarely occur outside the home.
??? :O  You might wanna rethink that Fistful.

Haven't you been responsible for ENOUGH ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »
Don't we lock our doors to keep our crime from getting out into the neighborhood?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
 [tinfoil]  Do you really think it works that way?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »
No, but I can offer you a great deal on sarcasm meter adjustment.  =)

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
I think you're the one who needs his meter tweeked. [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »
Buy me a drink first?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
What's your poison??   >:D

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »

ditto.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
Joe Curran is not going to like this

http://archive.theamericanview.com/index.php?id=617

Maybe MD can flush some more great plans like gun fingerprinting and purchase approved status
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"