Author Topic: all you arachnophobes can relax now  (Read 12805 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
all you arachnophobes can relax now
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2119343/King-Wasps-Indonesia-Two-half-inch-monster-jaws-longer-legs.html#ixzz1qDcg71Y8

Kinda makes the 8-legged thingies all warm and fuzzy in comparison.

No, I am not going to post any pictures.  Hell, I'm not even going to post the basic description.  The url says way too much as it is.

Go ahead.  Go look.  I'll wait right here.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: all you arachnophobes can relax now
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:14 AM »
birdshot or buckshot, from a distance or the APS favorite defensive tactic: nuke from orbit. twice.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »

Impressive.

Yes, nuking is probably a good idea.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
Compared to spiders, that wasp is a nothing; a pet; a boon companion; a good neighbor; a blood brother.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »
No, I am not going to post any pictures.  Hell, I'm not even going to post the basic description.  The url says way too much as it is.

No worries, I'm happy to oblige. The Garuda wasp:

Enjoy!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Compared to spiders, that wasp is a nothing; a pet; a boon companion; a good neighbor; a blood brother.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
Additionally, the jaws are big enough to wrap around the female;s thorax and hold her during mating.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2119343/King-Wasps-Indonesia-Two-half-inch-monster-jaws-longer-legs.html#ixzz1qQ3Wjogu
:lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »

Thats the way I feel about spiders compared to most wasps.  A spider is a fellow predator making his/her way through life the best it can, in most cases would rather NOT interact with humans.  Some can be rather cute in appearence and fascinating in their behaivors.

Wasps on the other hand are flying psychotic kill machines who have no problem attacking creatures much larger than themselves at the drop of a hat, often in doing so in large numbers.  The colonial living wasps around here are bad enough.  Pity the people of Japan who get to live with these horrors.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
I think the Hunger Games movie people just found their Tracker Jackers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
Thats the way I feel about spiders compared to most wasps.  A spider is a fellow predator making his/her way through life the best it can, in most cases would rather NOT interact with humans.  Some can be rather cute in appearence and fascinating in their behaivors.

Wasps on the other hand are flying psychotic kill machines who have no problem attacking creatures much larger than themselves at the drop of a hat, often in doing so in large numbers.  The colonial living wasps around here are bad enough.  Pity the people of Japan who get to live with these horrors.

Those fuzzy jumping spiders with the big eyes... there are some seriously cute ones out there.

http://flvrd.com/static/pics/hCKEV.gif

Those really big wasps, they tend to hunt colony wasps as food, they don't bother humans unless you try to hit/grab them. So I think they're generally beneficial, going after the colony wasps that are much more aggressive to humans.
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
Ok...

It does not help a wasp to blow it up to the size of a bird....

I'll be over here in the corner putting together a flamethrower in between fits of the heebies *and* the jeebies....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
We had a tarantula hawk get trapped in the house once. So glad I don't live in AZ anymore...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
Highest rated comment at that site:
jesus christ kill it with fire
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
once again the UK Daily Mail goes copypasta viral with an old news story
http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/news/warriorwaspnewspecies.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Can of spray and a Bic lighter...no more wasp worries.
Size 12 shoe...no more spider worries
Snakes...those you can nuke from orbit for me.  I hate snakes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
If it stings, it needs to die.

I'm with Battle Monkey. Nuke the bastards!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
. . .  Nuke the bastards!
Maybe all the radiation from a nuke isn't what you need for them . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
A short message for each of you who were compelled to post spider pics:

You're a jackass!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »

You're a jackass!

Aww, you just need a hug! 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:33:35 PM by RevDisk »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

You're a jackass!

I would advise Ben to purchase one of those fake spiders that slides down a string and place it in a good suprise ambush spot,  >:D

But I doubt he wants to spend the weekend patching bullet holes in the house...
 :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »
Maybe all the radiation from a nuke isn't what you need for them . . .

You have to Capitalize "THEM!" if you are going to post that pic.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »

You're a jackass!

If you're afraid of spiders and read an arachnophobia thread you have no one but yourself to blame...

Also, Golden Silk Orb Weavers are so pretty, and if my wife wouldn't shoot it I'd buy one as a pet.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
Can of spray and a Bic lighter...no more wasp worries.
Size 12 shoe...no more spider worries
Snakes...those you can nuke from orbit for me.  I hate snakes.
For snakes, my preferred weapon is a shovel.  Long enough to be out of range and easy to slice them apart with.  Garden hoes work also.  My mother was bitten by a copperhead on the foot when I was a kid.  She grabbed the hoe from my aunt and chopped up the snake before they took her to the hospital.  

IMO, snakes are easier to deal with as they really do stand out once you get used to spotting them.  You just learn to watch the ground where you are walking.  As a kid running around a small patch of woods down this way, between ants, cow manure, and snakes, you learned to watch where you put your feet.    

I think I am more bothered by big spiders and scorpions than snakes.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
Wasps are the only ones that really bug me, because of the flying. Harder to kill them when they're dodge, duck, dip, dive, dodging through the air...

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
For anyone bothered by it. You can confirm you're relatively spider-free by going out on a dark night, up around your house and shining a bright tight beamed LED flashlight into the bushes and plants up against your house.

You can see the little dew-drop reflections of their eyes, and guesstimate how many there are.

You're welcome.  >:D
I promise not to duck.