Author Topic: need info on advertising biz  (Read 1760 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
need info on advertising biz
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
how does a newspaper "certify" its circulation numbers? isn't there a organization that handles that?  and whats the penalty for fudging the numbers?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: need info on advertising biz
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
There may be an industry organization that audits circulation numbers, but I'm not aware of it. Typically newspapers will use the number of papers printed as a guide to their circulation. I know that a number of newspapers have been caught overstating their circulation in order to keep ad rates up.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel was (don't know if they still are) sending papers to people even after they'd cancelled, just to keep the circulation numbers up. They were sued by advertisers a few years back for fudging the numbers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
Google is my friend. :-*

http://www.certifiedaudit.com/

Certified Audit of Circulations, Inc. (CAC) was established in 1956 to provide an objective verification of circulation claims for the benefit of media accountability and transparency of advertising investments. CAC’s not-for-profit forum provides a premier platform, which mandates no vested interest in the outcome of the audit findings. The company is governed by a Board of Directors representing national advertisers, advertising agencies and publishers. CAC’s organizational structure demands the highest circulation auditing standard. CAC is a premier, IFABC accredited, national auditor of paid and free print media. CAC is the nation’s largest provider of market research and delivery verifications for the Yellow Pages industry.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »

paper i work for is right tricky and they allowed documentation of it to fall in the wrong hands
mine

now i have a moral dilemma    what to do with it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »
Trust your first instinct.

But do it through an attorney.

And keep your mouth shut.  Appear in court only behind a screen while wearing a pillowcase, and speak only through a voice-changer.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:27:27 AM »
The papers the wife worked for had the rough formula of (X)number of papers sold X (abitrary) number of people that read each paper sold= circulation. The varied the number of people that "read each paper sold" from time to time for various reasons.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams