Author Topic: How about we address the overt stuff first?  (Read 12856 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
How about we address the overt stuff first?
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
http://www.infowars.com/tsa-to-search-bags-question-passengers-on-houston-buses/

Democratic Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee unveiled the program, labeled Bus Safe, during a press conference on Friday. According to a Metropolitan Transit Authority of Houston (METRO) press release, agencies involved in the scheme will, “ride buses, perform random bag checks, and conduct K-9 sweeps, as well as place uniformed and plainclothes officers at Transit Centers and rail platforms to detect, prevent and address latent criminal activity or behavior.”

For some reason I had always expected either California or one of the Northeastern states to be where this would start.  (And yes, I'm aware of the VIPER stuff, but that is more of a one-time deal while this is supposed to be permanent or until crime stops, whichever comes last.)

There are darned few training aids for folks to refer to when trying to deal with this sort of stuff.  All the WWII/Cold War movies I can recall have the Gestapo/Stazi/KGB winning the "Papers, please" scenes.

I know this is evil, but I'm thinking that this just might show the silver lining regarding all those hoodlums/ gangsters that relocated to Houston after Katrina.  I just hope that they can avoid sprayong the entire bus/train at those close distances.

stay safe.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:16:25 PM by scout26 »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: How about we address the overt stuff sirst?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
So, being in a public place is now "probable cause"  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
So, being in a public place is now "probable cause"  ???

Be quiet slave, the very act of being human means you engage in interstate commerce, putting you under control of the government.

Fear not, you have nothing to fear, the government will keep you safe and take care of you.

Here is a piece of bread, enjoy the circus.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Damn, one step closer to turning into the Soviet Union.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »
Damn, one step closer to turning into the Soviet Union.

And some people wonder why I am so upset over the TSA at airports.   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
Pretty much ensuring I'll never use Houston public transit.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
They're just doing this to keep us safe. It's not fair, though, as it mostly affects the poor. They'll have to start searching our cars, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
Re: How about we address the overt stuff first?
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
Somebody is going to get rich suing them for violating their 4th Amendment rights.  I wonder what twisted logic they are using to get around that?  Without PC I wouldn't let anybody search my person or belongings.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
Random bag checks on the bus?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
If only a candidate would run with a promise to get rid of the TSA...

I can't imagine how anyone got to taking these plans seriously.  I suspect the people in charge have seen one too many episodes of 24.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Random bag checks on the bus?

There was a guy very recently who got nailed in Chicago, gun in his bags in the Greyhound bus luggage bay.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:52:57 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
Pretty much ensuring I'll never use Houston public transit.

That's okay, TSA will be soon coming to a toll road near you.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
That's okay, TSA will be soon coming to a toll road near you.

Exactly.  Heck, there's more or legitimacy for that by way of driving already being a revokable privilege subject to contractual terms with the state.  In a similar way to how refusing to submit evidence against yourself instantly invalidates your license (breathalyzer test), it would be easy to make declining a search do the same thing.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
I'm thinking that eventually there will be a confrontation that will not end well.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »
I'm thinking that eventually there will be a confrontation that will not end well.

I used to think that might happen with the TSA sexual assaults at airports but I think Americans are mostly too far gone down the road of sheepdom to put up much of a fight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
I used to think that might happen with the TSA sexual assaults at airports but I think Americans are mostly too far gone down the road of sheepdom to put up much of a fight.

Sadly, I believe you are right.  There will be some noise from places like APS, but everything will soon go quiet again.  How far away are we from permanent checkpoints and a requirement for internal passports to go interstate?  How many years, I wonder?

eta: Yes, I am in a deeply cynical, nasty mood tonight.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:23:12 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:04:07 AM »
I've been wondering how long it will be before you need a permit to earn any money from any activity.

Given the number of "permissions" that exist now it's an easy step to needing some bureaucrats okay to even earn $50 helping someone move.

And that will be on top of all the other opportunity killing regulations, taxes, and easy-to-file lawsuits.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

Fat lady hasn't sung yet.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
A lot of Americans are a lost cause but the number who aren't still far outnumber the political martinet class. The government is playing a very dangerous game of chicken.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »
Fat lady hasn't sung yet.

She's too embarrassed after getting groped at the airport to even think about singing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 10:26:05 PM »
She still hasn't gotten her permit yet.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
Every day it is another thumb in the eye.  At some point there will be pushback.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 10:11:03 AM »
Flew out of OHare to Ft Lauderdale yesterday.

Full body scan and pat down.

The only reason I'm flying is to see my 70+ year old mother down here.

I decided to submit myself to the indignity of modern commercial flying with eyes wide open. Dealing with the security theatre and having one of the symptoms of the decline of the republic shoved in my face overtly was a good object lesson for me. It reenforces in my mind that I am correct about liberty and tyrannical nature of the state.

This is what the people voted for.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
Flew out of OHare to Ft Lauderdale yesterday.

Full body scan and pat down.

The only reason I'm flying is to see my 70+ year old mother down here.

I decided to submit myself to the indignity of modern commercial flying with eyes wide open. Dealing with the security theatre and having one of the symptoms of the decline of the republic shoved in my face overtly was a good object lesson for me. It reenforces in my mind that I am correct about liberty and tyrannical nature of the state.

This is what the people voted clamor for.

FTFY. 
Sadly, many of the sheep are happy with this state of existance, and I think the freedom-minded are outnumbered easily by they who accept and or beg for the nanny state's protections.

America is like a drug addicted family member. 
Early in our relationship, I was an enabler.
Then, when I awoke to the depths of her depravity, I just hoped she would get better.
Now, I'm just hopeful she doesn't die in a gutter choking on her own vomit.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »
One of my coworkers, who flies a lot and is by no means "conservative", was lamenting to me the other day that she's sick of being the only person at the airport every time who refuses the full body scanner. She opts out, and when they ask if she wants a private room, she always tells them "no" and says they should do their groping in front of everyone. But she says most people in line look at her like she's a weirdo when she opts out.

Like so many other invasive regs, people simply become accustomed to them. Also, as pointed out above, there is a large contingent (and I think more so in the conservative community than in what we refer to  as the "nanny staters") who think all this stuff is a great idea. It's for our safety and fights terrorism!!!!!!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."