Author Topic: Nocino/Vin De Noix... Homemade Black Walnut Liqour.  (Read 15333 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Nocino/Vin De Noix... Homemade Black Walnut Liqour.
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »
So I may be rushing my limoncello... But the highest rated recipe I found said to steep the lemon zest until it turned white, up to 40 days... But since I used a microplane to zest my lemons, they were white and brittle after just 6 days... So I'm gonna give it a go... Just strained out my zest, and the simple syrup is cooling now... Will bung it all together in a two quart bottle once it's cooled and sit it up next to the nocino to age...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
I'll actually be curious how it turns out, since it calls for a 1:1:1 ratio v/v/w of alcohol, water, and sugar...  So hopefully it's not cloyingly sweet....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28:05 AM »
So I put a couple ounces in the freezer to do a taste test (and to make it fit in the jar).... *cough* [croak] smooooooth......

Actually, I think it's got a lot of potential... No bitterness, strong lemon flavor, just the whole thing tastes raw.... Strong lemon, strong alcohol, and strong sugar flavors... I'll report back in about 40 days... Flavors should be nicely blended and mellowed out into something enjoyable....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »
Mine is still kind of harsh. I think, however, that there's a certain factor of it being the alcohol I chose.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
I'm impatient on the limoncello... Did another taste test today. Definite improvement over last week. Still really alcohol forward, but much smoother than the first go round. The lemon is still really potent, but it's more like a sweet boozy lemonade than syrup and lemon pledge.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
How long has it been sitting?

You need at least 40 to 60 days on steeping time for it to extract all the goodness from the lemon peel and for it to mellow.

It's going to be sweet, too. You can control that with the amount of simple syrup you add.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
Oh, holy hell. 

Both the nocino and the limoncello are absolutely gorgeously delicious....

and POTENT.....  They're both about 95 proof....   so you definitely feel them.... But straight out of the freezer, you hardly taste the booze.  so it's pretty easy to get a little carried away.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 07:21:25 AM »
Nice.

Next time I make mine, I really need to use a much higher proof alcohol. It's good, but the lower proof vodka gives it harsh edges.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Nice.

Next time I make mine, I really need to use a much higher proof alcohol. It's good, but the lower proof vodka gives it harsh edges.

Yeah.  I'm glad I went with the 190 proof everclear.   It really just gives a clean flavor profile, and I think the higher alcohol content helps to extract all the goodness out of the lemon zest pretty quickly to boot.  That, and the fact that I used a microplane to zest the lemon meant there was a *LOT* of surface area vs. the volume of the zest.   It really only took about a week to get to the point where the zest had turned white and brittle (the endpoint I was told to look for in the recipe I used).  It aged for about 40-45 days and if it lasts that long will continue to get better :) . 

The nocino took the full year to really age, but it's now also nice and smooth.  Nice walnut flavor, no harsh bitternes, and blacker than Amy Schumer's soul...  :D