Author Topic: EPA Tells Producers to Use Non-Existent Fuel  (Read 2521 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
EPA Tells Producers to Use Non-Existent Fuel
« on: June 22, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »
The EPA certainly seems to have a penchant for this kind of stuff.

There is apparently a regulation on the books that requires refiners to add cellulosic ethanol to the fuel they produce. The problem is that it doesn't exist in any commercial quantities. The article infers that the EPA "was expecting" it to exist in commercial quantities by now. Even though it's not, they're apparently refusing to reevaluate their regulation.

I did some quick googling, and cellulosic ethanol is ethanol made from plants like switchgrass (versus corn). I think making ethanol from non-food (or food that feeds our food) crops is the better way to go if you're gonna make ethanol, but you can't just wish it and make it so. Apparently at least one research firm has been working on ways to make cellulosic ethanol economically (it can be made now, but is apparently prohibitively expensive) by adjusting the enzymes used to produce it. But they've been working on it since 2001. That should have been a clue to the EPA.

Maybe next they'll pass a regulation that everyone needs to drive around in anti-gravity vehicles. That should make the technology instantly available.  :laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/21/regulation-requires-oil-refiners-use-millions-gallons-fuel-that-is-nonexistent/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: EPA Tells Producers to Use Non-Existent Fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
The EPA needs to be put out of our misery. :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
I don't know if I would get rid of them, but I would change the laws so they have fixed laws they are enforcing and they are not making up regulations and compliance standards as they go along using vague laws.

I have no doubt that if there were no environmental enforcement at all, a percentage of companies would see no reason why they should keep spending money on emissions/pollution reduction.  That said, allowing the EPA to tell refiners what fuels and additives they have to include is a bit overboard.  If nothing else, that should not be under that EPA.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Congress should be making the laws and "agencies" should only be tasked with enforcement.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
Congress should be making the laws and "agencies" should only be tasked with enforcement.

Yes. but that would require Congress to work in crafting laws wth clear and direct enforcement provisions, rather than "let's make a grandiose statement and let bureaucratic flunkies work out the details" laws. That philosophy, combined with "pass it so we can see what's in it" unintended (or intended) consequences mean agencies in effect make law.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

How dare you consider the intent of the founding of this republic with such radical statements! Racist!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
How dare you consider the intent of the founding of this republic with such radical statements! Racist!

Probably misogynistic too. =D

We need to start a campaign to convince the EPA weenies that unicorn farts offset bovine flatulence and get them to craft a regulation requiring beef producers to also keep at least 1 unicorn or every 100 head of cattle. After all it's for the children.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
EPA regulations are written by lawyers, not scientists and engineers. You wouldn't believe the number of test procedure and self contradictory laws they write and we find every day. By self contradictory I mean, one section of law says X is not legal. Another section will say X is the desired policy of EPA and will subsidize it with a $2000 per engine program.  :facepalm:

The corporations will lobby for regulation that supports thier best interest. For example, regulatory alignment with all the other world agencies to make compliance easier/realistic, or regulate the B and not A, or make it difficult for start-ups to compete by requiring difficult and expensive facility certification and testing.

Then the EPA lawyers write these laws while working with the environmental groups with the goal of being sued. The EPA wants to be sued, because then a federal judge will tell the EPA "you must regulate Y in this harsh way" in the courts decision.

That is how the EPA regulatory sausage gets made. It is the most messed up thing you would never believe.

Honestly, I would rather deal with the ATF, FBI, SS, or IRS any day of the week than the EPA. With the others I have some defined rights and due process procedures. The EPA is above all due process and rights.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »

Not sure if they are even that competent....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.