Author Topic: Hug Causes Cop's Gun to Fire  (Read 9148 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hug Causes Cop's Gun to Fire
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
Very sad, and condolences to the victim's family. Again, one  of those "limited info" stories that Fox is getting so good at, but how does a hug cause a holstered sidearm to fire?

I have to wonder if it was a striker fire stuck in a belt instead of being holstered, or if the victim or cop was somehow touching the gun when it fired. If holstered, it must have been at a pretty forward cant to strike the victim when it fired, versus striking the cop's leg.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/08/detroit-woman-killed-when-hug-triggers-officer-gun-police-say/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Hug Causes Cop's Gun to Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
Shoulder holster and she inadvertently got a finger on the bang switch while hugging him from behind?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
Shoulder holster and she inadvertently got a finger on the bang switch while hugging him from behind?

Ah yes, a good possibility. Even though I have a shoulder holster and I think they're very comfortable, I don't think of them as a first choice for defensive carry. I guess a lot of cops still use them though?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Half-past midnight at an "outdoor social gathering"? It could have been holstered. Or he could have been brandishing, just to show off.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
One of the many reasons I *don't* like horizontal shoulder holsters.   Even if it wasn't the instance on this case, I don't like the fact that you're muzzle sweeping everyone behind you. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
the main reason i use a holster is that the trigger is inaccessable.  do they make holsters without that feature?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
the main reason i use a holster is that the trigger is inaccessable.  do they make holsters without that feature?

There are some.  Also some that just barely cover the reigger but not the entire trigger guard.

As for how it happened:
According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Pretty much had to be a horizontal shoulder holster for that to happen.  But still, I'm skeptical - it seems to me it would require hooking the thumb into the trigger guard and if you are hugging someone from behind your hands - along with their associated thumbs - are going to be pretty much on the chest rather than the ribcage.  And if she was standing behind him, hugging on him, the bullet would need to take a sharp left turn before it got to Albuquerque in order to hit her heart.  (ETA - No, it couuld happen without the sharp turn if the holster were twisted along the outside of the ribcage to point just right.)

I'm just thinking there better be one honking big powder burn on both the holster and the body.  I'm also thinking there's a very good chance there isn't one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »
You are all correct in your assessments for the young woman to have been shot as described. However, the lawyer for the police union says:

John Goldpaugh, a lawyer for the Detroit Police Officers Association, said...the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.

"And the gun went off," Goldpaugh said. "It's a fluke accidental shooting."

The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer's waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.

Goldpaugh said the physical evidence from the incident corroborated the officer's account of the shooting. The officer did not know the woman, who attended the party with other guests, Goldpaugh said.

If the reporting is correct (quite iffy, but this should have been supplied by the ME) and she died of a chest wound, the officer's account most definitely is not corroborated by the physical evidence.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
wow, dancing with your wife a woman you don't know comes up and tugs on your waist (or hugs you depending on the version) your gun in your iwb holster is pointed at her heart?  what position would she need to be in?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
I'm not buying it.... ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
Paul Harvey/We need "the rest of the story."/Paul Harvey
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
wow, dancing with your wife a woman you don't know comes up and tugs on your waist (or hugs you depending on the version) your gun in your iwb holster is pointed at her heart?  what position would she need to be in?

Pocket carry with her on her knees in front of you?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
The only position I'm picturing is probably something out of the Kama Sutra or those Kathmandu temple carvings . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
If the reporting is correct (quite iffy, but this should have been supplied by the ME) and she died of a chest wound, the officer's account most definitely is not corroborated by the physical evidence.

Only if the officer's name was Oswald  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
My BS meter pegged out when I first read this story.  Things just don't add up to 2+2=4.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »

Yea...  I'm going to wait for further news. It does not pass the smell test.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/09/12644760-detroit-police-chief-fatal-shooting-after-hug-was-accident?lite

From the article:

Godbee said Miller was dancing with Parrish and had touched his waist from behind when his holstered handgun fired, striking Miller in the chest. The bullet pierced Miller’s lung and struck her heart, authorities said. Miller died later at a Detroit hospital.

Godbee said Parrish's weapon was in a waist holster made of a soft material and worn on the officer’s right side, which would have allowed the trigger to be activated. He said there was no indication that Parrish had touched the weapon when it went off.

According to the Detroit News, the gun, described as a Smith & Wesson M&P 40-caliber semi-automatic, did not have an external safety, but did have an internal safety in the trigger. 

Here's what certified firearms instructor Rick Ector told The Associated Press:
"The Smith & Wesson M&P primarily was designed for police and military use. It does not have a safety switch, but the trigger has to be pulled back completely for the gun to fire.  If properly holstered, the gun cannot be fired accidentally."

David Balash, a former Michigan State Police firearms examiner, told the AP:
"What's going to be very important here is the angle of the entry of the wound to the victim (and) if there is in fact any gunpowder residue. I'm having a great deal of difficulty understanding how a weapon that's pointed at the ground can be turned literally 110 degrees minimum to be in an upward position to strike someone."

I wonder if it was a OWB holster with a rotating clip such that the angle of the holster can be adjusted. I have a few of those, and I can see how they can be rotated. I wouldn't think it would happen by accident, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Looks like somebody's lying through their teeth.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:58 PM »
Maybe he was bent over?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »
Maybe he was bent over?

I'm thinking she was crouched behind him
Gun on back of hip
She reaches around/in pants
Gun discharges, diagonally in both horizontal and vertical directions, hitting her square in the chest.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 11:55:23 PM »
Maybe his wife "accidentally brushed" the trigger when she saw the girlfriend.....
;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
Spoon is thinking there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll

Seriously, I can't figure out how the angles would work on this one
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:03 AM »
My immediate thought was a horizontal shoulder holster, but multiple articles have stated it was a neoprene IWB holster.

My next thought is "suicide." There was such an incident just a few days ago, except that the officer was in uniform, on duty, and had been granted official permission to give the young woman a ride to the hospital. While he was driving, she drew his pistol and shot herself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
Figured it out, folks. He's a racist and she was wearing a hoody.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
Spoon is thinking there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll

Seriously, I can't figure out how the angles would work on this one

I thought my scenario accounted for the angles quite well.