Author Topic: Are the Chilean FAMAE made SIG rifle clones available in the US in any form?  (Read 589 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
What the topic says. I saw the Forgotten Weapons video the other day featuring the SIG 542, and got curious if the clones are available in the US. I know Canadians can get them, they even evaded the recent ban IIRC. But are they in any form available in the US? Like in a rifle-caliber pistol? Or are they pure unobtainium outside of LE/.gov sales?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:43:50 PM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
FAMAE announced they were going to import stuff into the US at SHOT back in 2015, but nothing ever came of it.

The needed domestic parts content (especially barrels, ATF interpretation of "Sporting Clause" on importation of receivers and barrels) necessary to get around US 922r was probably enough to kill it. They either couldn't line up a subcontractor who could produce the parts, or setting up shop themselves and paying for the tooling just wasn't worth it.

And at the time, with the post-Obama Salad Days glut on the US market, making that investment, and hoping that FAMAE stuff priced around $2500 or so would sell probably didn't work out math wise.
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
I remember reading about as much on TFB, and my interest was piqued again when I saw Ian´s video the other day, and google turned up little to nothing.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
They might get around that by importing "pistols".
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge