Author Topic: New Kindle HD Fire  (Read 1341 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New Kindle HD Fire
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
So the new Kindle HD Fire, in 7" and 9" screens, looks interesting.  I wonder if Amazon will finally permit access to the Google Market.  Even with direct downloading of apk files, I still cannot install many apps.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: New Kindle HD Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
So the new Kindle HD Fire, in 7" and 9" screens, looks interesting.  I wonder if Amazon will finally permit access to the Google Market.  Even with direct downloading of apk files, I still cannot install many apps.

I'd be interested in the Google Market thing too, both access and ability to run apps. That is the one downside I find to my current Kindle Fire.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
I wonder if Amazon will finally permit access to the Google Market.  Even with direct downloading of apk files, I still cannot install many apps.

I doubt it, roping people into buying all their apps through the Amazon App Store is a huge part of the business plan for the Kindle tablets. The Google Play market is a direct competitor now in books, music, and movies, in addition to apps. Thankfully more and more developers are releasing apps in parallel in both stores, but there are still plenty that don't. Sideloading works for some of those, as noted, but not all.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
There are workarounds to get Google marketplace / apps on the Fire.  I don't have one so I haven't tried it, but here's a couple of example:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/kindle-fire-easy-root-google-play-market-install/

http://www.esotech.org/blog/technology/install-android-marketplace-and-google-apps-on-amazon-kindle-fire
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
I did not know that this was an issue.

That will really drive my decision when it comes time to buy a tablet...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:50:23 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
Here is an interesting analysis of Amazon vs Google: http://www.businessinsider.com/forget-apple-forget-facebook-heres-the-one-company-that-actually-terrifies-google-execs-2012-8

ETA Another article: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-android-google-2012-9
What Googlers worry about in private is a growing trend among consumers to skip Google altogether, and to just go ahead and search for the product they would like to buy on Amazon.com, or, on mobile in an Amazon app

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/forget-apple-forget-facebook-heres-the-one-company-that-actually-terrifies-google-execs-2012-8#ixzz25o7Wn31q

That's actually what I do.
When I want to buy something, I just look it up on Amazon if I can't buy it locally. I usually find the lowest price is on Amazon anyway, so I skip google.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
I have the original Fire.

It has proved to be so useful and fun that I'm hoping to get the HD. I actually prefer the smaller screen, too, as I like the size for portability.

The camera will add every functionality I really need (ok, it's not a need, anyway) from the tablet. Looking forward to skyping once we get the new one. (I'll hope for Christmastime.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
I did not know that this was an issue.

That will really drive my decision when it comes time to buy a tablet...

I have pondered the Google Nexus 7 for this very reason.  Although my Fire is working just fine, and I suppose I have to ask myself if the inability to install some apps is really that much of a problem.  Yes, I don't have Google Maps on the Fire, but Mapquest works pretty good.  

Also, no mention of if the new Fire HD has a GPS.

Edited to add: according to GizModo, the new Fire still does not have a GPS.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:33:47 PM by MillCreek »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
my less tech savvy friends are getting them. its great  i needed an airfilter fr a 14 year old generator. the old one had a part number molded into it.  i typed in the part number and tecumseh into amazon. it popped up i clicked 2 and have prime. it was 8:30 wed morn.  it came in thursday mail.   hard to beat. prime owuld be worth it to me just for letting my kid watch kids shows with no commercials
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-HD-8-Plus-Tablet/dp/B0839NDRB2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=kindle%2Bfire%2Bhd%2B8%2Bplus&qid=1602596824&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-1&th=1

I bought one of these (Kindle HD 8 plus) earlier this year for $ 110 and I just bought another for $ 75 during prime day.  When you jailbreak it, install Google Play, and load up the Google apps, it makes a pretty darn good Android tablet for the price.  I now do most of my reading and web browsing on it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
You resurrected an 8-year-old thread?

Now that WAS magic! 

Black magic...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
Not one to rush into things ...   =)