Author Topic: Bacon vs. strawberries  (Read 1325 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Bacon vs. strawberries
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/not-just-gas-check-out-the-drastic-price-increases-on-these-21-everyday-items/

We're skrood.

Just don't look at coffee, the other food group.  No, do not look at it.  Really.  Don't.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Bacon vs. strawberries
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
I belong to a coffee group that buys green coffee by the 130 pound sack so we can roast it at home.  Raw green coffee beans prices have been going up steadily for the last couple of years.  Much of the price increase has been weather-related due to droughts and rising temperatures in the 'coffee belt' growing area of the world.  Much like wine grapes, coffee trees need a somewhat narrow temperature band to flourish.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
What sort of roaster do you use, Millcreek? I just dug my Behmor out of storage after a couple years. I suspect I am in for a nasty bit of sticker shock when I hit coffeebeandirect.com
Hi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »
I use a Behmor 60% of the time, stovetop stockpot 30% and heatgun/dogbowl 10% of the time. I like to keep my hand in with the manual methods if the Behmor goes Tango Uniform.  Although I would just buy another if it did.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:51 PM »
I should probably do the same. The few times I tried the stovetop method, there was definitely an art to it..
Hi.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »
Good thing food and fuel aren't part of the CPI or we really be looking at inflation.

They need to add a "5 years ago" price to really open some eyes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
I should probably do the same. The few times I tried the stovetop method, there was definitely an art to it..

I have gotten pretty good at it.  Just as with the heatgun/dogbowl, the key for me is gradual ramping up of the heat for the first several minutes, and constant movement of the beans so that they do not scorch.  In the stockpot, I am constant whisking the beans around, in the dogbowl, I am using the muzzle and airflow of the heatgun to constantly move the beans around.

I have one of the first Behmors made, back in 2007, and I think it is not heating up as much as it did when new.  I used to be able to roast a full pound to full city in about 14-15 minutes, and now it takes about 20. I have decreased my batch size to about 14 ounces to maintain adequate roasting times.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
Yep, ain't no inflatin' goin' on here.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
Good thing food and fuel aren't part of the CPI or we really be looking at inflation.

They need to add a "5 years ago" price to really open some eyes.

And even the things that are in the CPI...arent really.  (see my previous posts)