Poll

What's the best relatively inexpensive .22 ammo to stock?

Federal Champion
10 (41.7%)
Remington Thunderbolt
2 (8.3%)
CCI Blazer
7 (29.2%)
Winchester Wildcat
2 (8.3%)
Other (specify/justify)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Best cheap .22LR ammo  (Read 5218 times)

Hutch

• friend
Best cheap .22LR ammo
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Each of my twin grandsons is gonna get ~ 5k .22's for Christmas.  They are 2.  :laugh:, but there's no use putting this off  :laugh: :laugh:

This needs to be commonly available, of known or at least predictable quality, and (good, but not required) packaged in something other than the ~5xx round bulk boxes.  This is by far the least important consideration.

Gonna get this in the next few weeks, could conceivably wait for a Black Friday sale, but no longer.

Bonus points if you closely pinpoint the store or website.  Deductions if you bring up what you used to buy "back in the day", but I'm under no illusions that this thread will be immune to such sidebar conversations.

What'dya think?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

birdman

• friend
Re: Best cheap .22LR ammo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
Ammunitiontogo.com
CCI blazer, ive found it the most reliable in all my 22s, including the P22 which is very picky

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
I voted Federal Champion (cat #510) but have lately been shooting Peters.  A pleasant surprise, it was the only thing on the shelf at Bi-Mart when I had to have .22LR.  A surprise because it is a Remington product and I have avoided Remington bulk .22 as it is so dirty it will foul the bolt latch of my Ruger MkII in just a few magazines worth.  The Peters presents no such problem.  The only accuracy assessment I can provide is that kiddo merrily cleared the 15 yard berm of 12 gauge hulls without difficulty.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Since they are two, I'd go with CCI HV.  It will be a while before they start shooting it.  But since you don't include it in your list, I would say that either the Federal Lightnigs (510's) or CCI Blazer are about equal.   

That is interesting Chuck about the Perters ammo.  It is just Remington Thunderbolts packaged in Peters boxes.  I consider it good news that you are satisfied with the reliability.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had good luck with about everything in the way of .22LR.  Guns that had problems with anything (AR7, Jennings .22, bro's PT22), tended to have problems with most everything.  And they're gone.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
CCI Blazer- the best inexpensive .22 I have found. The lead bullet is not greasy but covered in some sort of coating so it does not oxidize.  And it seems to store well. And it is standard velocity, which may work better in a range of guns.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »
I voted other, going to say PMC sidewinder, but apparently it is no longer made. I was buying it by the 5,000 rd case for $90 and shooting it all, excellent accuracy and reliability. Other than that, CCI. I do not care for Federal .22, bad experiences with their priming. All the copper washed bulk pack stuff is garbage. CCI blazer it is then, mini-mag for more serious uses. I've used a little CCI with the flat point small game bullet, not enough to know if I like it on small game.

I prefer to buy Aguila whenever I can, good stuff, not the cheapest. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »
I picked other because I'm not familair with blazers. I know CCI standard velocity is very reliable and very accurate. Maybe the Blazers are too but I don't know. Anything with the name remington on it is not worth the price of the empty box. I know that too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
My 10/22 will eat Winchester Wildcat all day long, so will my Colt Targetsman.

I do prefer CCI mini mag with my Colt because the ammo is consistant, but costs 2 or 3x as much.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
What's on sale.  In bulk packs.

Haven't yet found a brand that my .22s will not swallow and spit out as designed to do.  Maybe I'm just lucky that they also put the lead where I wanted it to go.  (Errors or deviation are operator error rather than manufacturer defect as far as I can tell.)

The reason I like bulk packs is because they require the least amount of "extra" space in ammo cans, and you can squeeze some room between boxes for dessicant packs.  (I know about nitrogen purging but have no desire (or ability) to go that far in storage.)

Those that are looking to take tree rats in the eye at over 100 yards consistently may have a greater need for consistency in their ammo.  I prefer not to have to walk that far to pick up dead tree rats so it's not a consideration for me.  In other words, I'm cheap and willing to settle for "good enough".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Just in case I wanted to exchange a known quantity of a recognizable brand of ammo before the grandkids come of age, it would be nice, but not essential, that it be packaged in 50-round boxes in 500-bricks in 5000-round cases.  Like my other cases.  Nice, but not essential.  Just sayin'.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
Ammunitiontogo.com
CCI blazer, ive found it the most reliable in all my 22s, including the P22 which is very picky

I've been told that Blazers are Mini-Mags without the plated bullet. Any truth to that....if so, I may switch to them.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
my inexpensive plincking ammo is federal bulk.  i find 1 or 2 "duds" in most boxes, but overall they shoot well.  cci seems to go bang all the time, but is double the price.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
Federal bulk 550 packs always seem to work fine for me in all my  .22s but I keep a couple different varieties on hand just to spice things up a little, I've got 2 rifles and a pistol that will handle .22 shorts and they can "useful" in certain situations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
I've never seen a bulk pack of Blazers, so I've never tried them. Personally I prefer the Federal bulk packs.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
You may not have looked for 22 ammo lately other than at Walmart...  Places like Dicks, Dunhams, Sportsman Warehouse, Bass Pro, Academy Sports carry the Blazer bulk packs and in fact are the most commonly found packaging now for Blazers although I prefer the regular bricks with 10 50-ct boxes. It is easier for me to stuff a couple in my pocket if I take a walk in the woods.

I guess you all know that ATK owns Federal and CCI... so the similarity with Federal Champion/Lightnings (#510's) and Blazers is not unexpected.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:21:35 AM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Places like Dicks, Dunhams, Sportsman Warehouse, Bass Pro, Academy Sports carry the Blazer bulk packs and in fact are the most commonly found packaging now for Blazers although I prefer the regular bricks with 10 50-ct boxes.

I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where there was one of those within an hours drive. Last two places I lived there wasn't one within 4 hours drive.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
Smith & Wesson includes a list of recommended and not recommended ammo with their M&P 15-22 rifles; that might be a good starting place for brand. So far I've tried Federal Champion (36gr plated JHP) and CCI AR Tactical in mine, and have a couple of hundred rounds of each through it with no problems at all - the Federal seems to be just a little more accurate. Both are in bulk packs.

Remington and Winchester used to be my favorites, but quality of both seems to have deteriorated in the last few decades; it would seem S&W agrees, at least insofar as Remington is concerned.

FWIW, here are S&W's recommendations.

Recommended
CCI Standard Velocity
 CCI Mini-Mag
 Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity
 Aguila Super Extra High Velocity
 Federal American Eagle
 Federal GameShock
 Winchester Super-X High Velocity

Not Recommended
 Remington Golden Bullet
 Remington Target 22
 Remington Thunderbolt
 Winchester Wildcat
 Any and all sub-sonic brands & types

I also have a Ruger 10/22 I've extensively rebuilt that actually works well with everything. But if I want to put bullets through the same hole at 50 yards, it requires good match ammo . . . and both Lapua and Eley are too expensive for everyday use. Of the cheaper ammo brands, the Federal and CCI types I've got on hand are as good as any and better than most.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
I don't think I've ever lived anywhere where there was one of those within an hours drive. Last two places I lived there wasn't one within 4 hours drive.

When I want to pick up more than 500 rounds, I usually have mine mail ordered, such as through Natchezz. http://www.natchezss.com/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536