Author Topic: Argonne researchers 'hack' Diebold e-voting system  (Read 4124 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Argonne researchers 'hack' Diebold e-voting system
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220356/Argonne_researchers_hack_Diebold_e_voting_system_

In the latest experiment, the Argonne researchers showed how a Diebold Accuvote TS touch screen voting machine can be compromised by inserting a man-in-the middle electronic component to intercept the vote cast by a voter and change it before it is recorded by the system.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Argonne researchers 'hack' Diebold e-voting system
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
I thought Jim March and Black Box Votingâ„¢ exposed the flaws in the Diebold system years ago?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:16:15 PM »
Plus there are also now reports of touch screen machines selecting Obama when the user selects Romney. I'm sorta not surprised (ansd wouldn't be surprised to see some doing the opposite). Not sure touch screens are a good technology to use for voting. At least if many ATMS I've used are any indication, where I appear to select "A" but the machine decides I selected "B" and I have to cancel and start over again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 02:49:19 AM »
Don't worry, the GOP will accept defeat graciously.  They are good at that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Plus there are also now reports of touch screen machines selecting Obama when the user selects Romney. I'm sorta not surprised (ansd wouldn't be surprised to see some doing the opposite). Not sure touch screens are a good technology to use for voting. At least if many ATMS I've used are any indication, where I appear to select "A" but the machine decides I selected "B" and I have to cancel and start over again.

Most touch screens require calibration on a regular or semi regular basis to be accurate.
Look, tiny text!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
Most touch screens require calibration on a regular or semi regular basis to be accurate.

Exactly, and how many times a day are they likely to be used on election day in a busy area?

If they were going to insist on electronic, a screen with actual buttons would have been a much better way to go.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »
I strongly disagree with any electronic voting. There is simply no need and no justification. Voting should be done with ink on paper. Electronic voting simply introduces too many attack vectors for too little benefit.

And if there are electronic voting machines, why do they have to have touchscreens? Because "OOoo shiny"? ATM machines usually have buttons down the sides. Standard arcade-machine buttons can be pounded mercilessly for decades and still work absolutely reliably...no calibration required. I guess the ATM companies consider theirs an important application, not like voting machines.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
.... Voting should be done with ink on paper. ....

But what about Chad?  Why do you hate him?

And why did so many Floridians leave him hanging?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:20 PM »
Hey, skid. The last millennium called. It wants its joke back.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »
And if they just gotta have electronic voting machines, which I also think are a dumb idea, they do not need to be connected to the interwebz. votes tallied to redundant encrypted memory modules of some type. Voting gets done, one module goes to the central vote counting location, the other goes to secure storage someplace else.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
I too dislike electronic voting for a host of reasons.  If, Big IF, we have electronic voting then at least provide a receipt detailing your vote.  That way "errors" can be challenged on the spot.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
I too dislike electronic voting for a host of reasons.  If, Big IF, we have electronic voting then at least provide a receipt detailing your vote.  That way "errors" can be challenged on the spot.

Couple that with a running stenograph-like printout for a hard record. Small viewing slot so you can see your vote on that hard copy before leaving the booth.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
Obama made the whole Benghazi attack disappear. You think he can't get some votes erased from a hard drive?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »
Couple that with a running stenograph-like printout for a hard record. Small viewing slot so you can see your vote on that hard copy before leaving the booth.

Machines they use here have that. It shows your votes on a receipt-like piece of paper you view through a plastic window, which then winds up out of sight when you take your card out.

I've heard some valid arguments against the receipt you take when you leave. Voter intimidation, vote buying, etc. "Go vote for X, Y, and Z, and prove it with your receipt, or else!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
SC machines have no such provisions (at least where I vote).  We just get to trust the data security of the state of SC . . . . . . the state that was the victim of an epic hack.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »
On non encrypted data, that should have been.

Twice.

And didn't notice.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
I thought Jim March and Black Box Votingâ„¢ exposed the flaws in the Diebold system years ago?

He/they did.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design