Author Topic: Grocery stores that do not accept EBT?  (Read 20563 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Grocery stores that do not accept EBT?
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
I'm looking for a list of grocery stores that do not honor EBT/welfare.

I intend on giving them the lion's share of my grocery business from now on.

One of my favorite stores is Trader Joe's and I assumed they did not accept EBT.  However, it appears they started to recently.  So I need to redirect my money to a different store.

Interestingly, my google-fu is weak, or Google doesn't want me to know if a list of EBT-hating grocers exists.  I can't find one.

Aside from the election, I just watched a woman this last weekend go through the Safeway line.  Hispanic woman, with a child with her.  Speaking only spanish, couldn't answer any questions from the clerk in english.  The clerk then processed the EBT card that the hispanic woman had and read the name on the receipt, then said loudly for all of us in line to hear, "Thank you, Mrs. Deborah Robertson!"   :lol:  No, the name didn't come from a Safeway club card.  I watched the transaction since I was right behind her.  The hispanic woman didn't use a club card.  Just an EBT card.  Which is quite probably fraudulently obtained via identity theft.

It appears the whole world is pizzy at CostCo for not accepting food stamps, though the article below is from 2008.  I may have to renew my membership there.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/why-doesnt-costco-accept-food-stamps/

Anyone know of any others?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Grocery stores that do not accept EBT?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Geez, I'm like a dozen pages into Google searches for "list of stores that do not accept EBT" or "list of stores that do not accept Food Stamps."  Still nothing.

I bet a new grocery store would make gangbuster money if they actively advertised that they don't accept SNAP/WIC/EBT.

(And then get sued out of existence by DOJ for somethingorother, but it'd be great entertainment and I'd give them all my business during the fight.)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
AFAIK no open grocery stores ie not club stores like Costco refuse ebt. They'd be turning away a lot of profit and opening themselves up to a lot of legal issues.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
I highly doubt that it would be profitable to turn away paying customers.  I wouldn't.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
I highly doubt that it would be profitable to turn away paying customers.  I wouldn't.

Especially if they're buying with someone else's money - Whoopeee!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
Especially if they're buying with someone else's money - Whoopeee!

As a store owner I don't care who's money it is as long as it spends.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »
AFAIK no open grocery stores ie not club stores like Costco refuse ebt. They'd be turning away a lot of profit and opening themselves up to a lot of legal issues.

Legally, CAN they refuse?

Club stores are a different ball of wax, because they're not open to the public. Only members.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:37:55 PM »
Legally, CAN they refuse?

Club stores are a different ball of wax, because they're not open to the public. Only members.

It's a separate transaction system.  Stores can choose to not take Visa, either.  EBT requires special setup.
--Lysander Spooner

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
It's a separate transaction system.  Stores can choose to not take Visa, either.  EBT requires special setup.

That. 

Our business doesn't accept EBT,  and listening to the secretaries field calls from indignant looters is a riot.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:58 PM »
That. 

Our business doesn't accept EBT,  and listening to the secretaries field calls from indignant looters is a riot.

Have any good stories to tell?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
In reality, the only way is to avoid the EBT shoppers, go to the store in the well to do suburbs.

However, tough times are all over, and I bet there's plenty of soccer moms in Volvos using them too, because hubby got downsized in "the new normal" of the Obamaconomy. They still have basic shame and nominal (can't say majority anymore I guess) western civ/American values, and you won't notice they're using EBT.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »
Also, many states give foster parents an EBT allowance.  Just sayin.  While I disagree with the entire welfare system, not all of its users are evil.
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »
Also, many states give foster parents an EBT allowance.  Just sayin.  While I disagree with the entire welfare system, not all of its users are evil.

Yeah, and reinforces my point, it's not really about avoiding EBT, the non-evil/non scamming non-brazen users, you don't notice them.  And I'd say AZRed's complaint is not even really about EBT, it's more about the cultural values of some of it's users.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:36 PM »
A google search turned up a lot of links that say Costco started taking food stamps in 2009.

The whole EBT/quest debit card chafes me a bit.  It used to be that coupons had to be handed over at the grocery store which were replaced with the much more discreet debit cards which remove any shame or stigma in using them. There are going to be a lot of people who don't like my view, tough titties, I put in a 12 hour day today.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:54 AM »
Yeah, and reinforces my point, it's not really about avoiding EBT, the non-evil/non scamming non-brazen users, you don't notice them.  And I'd say AZRed's complaint is not even really about EBT, it's more about the cultural values of some of it's users.

My goal here is to abstain from giving my money to merchants that accept Welfare (and by proxy, my money by leveraged force against me) as a form of payment for other people's goods.

While I cannot avoid the tax or the redistribution of my money to others, I CAN choose to spend my money at merchants that have chosen to not participate in the scheme.  At least I reward them with the profit of MY money.
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »
 Even the Farmer's Markets take SNAP/WIC/EBT!  Argh!

Garden.  gardengardengarden.
--Lysander Spooner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:15:31 AM »
The whole EBT/quest debit card chafes me a bit.  It used to be that coupons had to be handed over at the grocery store which were replaced with the much more discreet debit cards which remove any shame or stigma in using them. There are going to be a lot of people who don't like my view, tough titties, I put in a 12 hour day today

There was also a huge culture change, to where people are extremely PROUD to be on welfare...they flaunt the fact that you are paying for their cart that is chock full of groceries*, then wheeling it out to a brand new expensive Lexus or Escalade. This crowd is also proud of the fact that they never worked a day in their life, that their parents were on welfare and that they became a "baby momma" as early in life as possible to continue their noble family tradition...

*Speaking of the food and WIC/EBT, why is, at least in my state, WIC seems only applicable to name brand foods instead of the store brand? Only the name brand foods have the "WIC eligible" cards besides the price tags?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 03:04:54 AM »
It's never gonna happen. Grocery stores are incredibly competitive and have razor thin margins. Refusing sales to a group which would alienate another larger group, cause prices to rise for those who support you or don't care either way, and in exchange you get maybe a tiny handful of folks who support you because of it? Store would be out of business in no time flat.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:09 AM »
Any small farmers near you? Contract to buy half a beef, around here they do it by set $ per lb of hanging weight, so you don't know exactly how much until slaughter time,but you can guess close. Repack with a food sealer if desired, deep freeze.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
In Michigan, where our economy really sucks, even some pizza delivery places accept EBT.  :facepalm:

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
The whole EBT/quest debit card chafes me a bit.  It used to be that coupons had to be handed over at the grocery store which were replaced with the much more discreet debit cards which remove any shame or stigma in using them. There are going to be a lot of people who don't like my view, tough titties, I put in a 12 hour day today.
I totally agree, but you are right that many don't like our view.  A while back EconTalk (which is an excellent podcast for anyone interested in economic theory in general) had a liberal guest on who did a good job explaining the mindset of people who are trying to remove the stigma.  She went so far as to argue against private and faith-based assistance programs because anything that might make someone feel beholden, ashamed or stigmatized for receiving free stuff is - in her mind - wrong.  She encouraged the idea that you are entitled to receive free stuff if you "need" it.

And that is a big part of the problem.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
In reality, the only way is to avoid the EBT shoppers, go to the store in the well to do suburbs.

However, tough times are all over, and I bet there's plenty of soccer moms in Volvos using them too, because hubby got downsized in "the new normal" of the Obamaconomy. They still have basic shame and nominal (can't say majority anymore I guess) western civ/American values, and you won't notice they're using EBT.

I live in one of those affluent suburbs, surrounded by people with grad degrees who work or used to work at Boeing, Microsoft and the dot-com industry.  And I have seen the EBT cards and food banks being used by some of those same people who have been laid off and cannot find work.  You can't sell the house because it is underwater or the market is slow.  I would do the exact same thing as they are doing if it was a choice between feeding my family or having them go hungry.  They paid into the system for all those years, and I bet they will become employed again as the economy picks up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
"I would do the exact same thing as they are doing if it was a choice between feeding my family or having them go hungry."

You morally bankrupt pestilent plague upon society, you...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
You know, as others have pointed out before, the people MillCreek describes are *not* the problem with the system.  They are who the system (nominally) was designed for.  Someone who finds themselves in a situation temporarily.  Not the self-entitled "I deserve this even though I never worked for it" crowd
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
I live in one of those affluent suburbs, surrounded by people with grad degrees who work or used to work at Boeing, Microsoft and the dot-com industry.  And I have seen the EBT cards and food banks being used by some of those same people who have been laid off and cannot find work.  You can't sell the house because it is underwater or the market is slow.  I would do the exact same thing as they are doing if it was a choice between feeding my family or having them go hungry.  They paid into the system for all those years, and I bet they will become employed again as the economy picks up.

This.

And I have a friend who got a back injury requiring surgery while he had no benefits.  Dude is accepting food stamps because he will feed his kids. I have less issue with food, especially for kids.