Author Topic: Hidden Gun Furniture  (Read 9260 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hidden Gun Furniture
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
Not super practical, but kind of a neat idea. I could see having bookshelves in the den with these vertical drawers in the back. It would actually be a good use of space and free up some room in the gun safe.

http://www.stashvault.com/hidden-gun-compartment-in-curio-cabinet/hidden-gun-compartment-in-curio-cabinet-furniture/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Hidden Gun Furniture
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
I think that would be an awesome way to hide guns in plain sight if you have a cabin/vacation house etc.  Push the thing into a corner, too, so you can't slide it out without moving it.

I used to have a rifle coffee table.
A lot like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Furniture-Classics-Horizontal-Gun-Cabinet/6371098

But it had feet like a coffee table on it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
I think that would be an awesome way to hide guns in plain sight if you have a cabin/vacation house etc.  Push the thing into a corner, too, so you can't slide it out without moving it.

I used to have a rifle coffee table.
A lot like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Furniture-Classics-Horizontal-Gun-Cabinet/6371098

But it had feet like a coffee table on it.

Not terribly stealthy, that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
Not super practical, but kind of a neat idea. I could see having bookshelves in the den with these vertical drawers in the back. It would actually be a good use of space and free up some room in the gun safe.

http://www.stashvault.com/hidden-gun-compartment-in-curio-cabinet/hidden-gun-compartment-in-curio-cabinet-furniture/

It occurs to me that it would be really cool to have a gun cabinet with a compartment like that. Put a couple of non-firing  wallhangers in the front, and the real guns in the secret drawer. A thief will likely grab the easily available junk and not investigate further.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

robear

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Thought this one was done well..
http://youtu.be/1pYqquG27pg

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
That is FAR too cool!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
It seems pretty obvious that there is space behind the main compartment. Burglars are stupid, so it may work, but I think the use of space would make it pretty obvious that there was something behind.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »
It seems pretty obvious that there is space behind the main compartment. Burglars are stupid, so it may work, but I think the use of space would make it pretty obvious that there was something behind.

If it had a mirrored back, you couldn't tell there was space missing unless you really inspected it carefully
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
If it had a mirrored back, you couldn't tell there was space missing unless you really inspected it carefully

That would definitely make it less obvious. You could also use it as a book case, and line up the spine of each book with the edge of the shelf.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

I'll take four or five of those, thank you!  =)

I did like the comment that the guy seems to have more guns then books.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

Might be more credible if he had more books in his bookcase.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
Run a search on "amsec hc1854-hcc."

Apparently no longer made and very pricey, but worth noting.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »
I saw a freestanding ornimental column that was a vertical rifle holder.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »

In addition, if you stored the guns horizontally instead of vertically, you could decrease the depth of the hidden compartment. Only problem is you wouldn't be able to store as many guns in it, and you'd have to make it much wider.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »
I had a china cabinet that had decorative molding around the top forming about a 6" deep recess around the top where the lights and stuff were hidden. I kept an AR-15 there for 2 years and no one else knew.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I like this concept....

http://bedgunsafe.com/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
Not terribly stealthy, that.

Ours had feet more like a coffee table, and I covered it with some decorative furniture covering dealie.  Not extremely stealthy, but it was nice having my SKS and a handgun in it ;)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
Agreeing with zahc on this one... the obvious discontinuity between cabinet and shelf depth (on the OP example) would make me more curous about what was there, not less.  Good looking piece of furniture though, and I am all for the "hidden in plain sight" theory of concealment.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Agreeing with zahc on this one... the obvious discontinuity between cabinet and shelf depth (on the OP example) would make me more curous about what was there, not less.  Good looking piece of furniture though, and I am all for the "hidden in plain sight" theory of concealment.

Brad

I doubt it. If you're in somebody's house lookin' to take stuff, you'll be looking at the whole room, and all the other rooms, to find more obvious stuff. Unless you decide to stay in the house for a while, you'll never get around to analyzing the dimensions of that one cabinet in the living room.