Author Topic: #1 Threat to Humanity: Climate Change  (Read 11479 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
#1 Threat to Humanity: Climate Change
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Started to watch a show on H2 last night, think it was called The Last Days on Earth, where they listed potential "End of the World" scenarios and ranked them from least likely to most likely. The most likely event that would end life as we know it was ... (drum roll) ... CLIMATE CHANGE!!!

Yep. And they showed a dozen or so clips from Fox News with various folks stating that it's a myth, then went on to discuss the conspiracy of the right to debunk this "very real" event that's "happening right this minute!!! As evidenced by armadillos ranging farther north than ever before."

They also said that "Global Warming" is a misnomer, that the real term is Climate Change and their primary expert was Al Gore.

I had to change the channel and watched the last 30 minutes of a Hallmark Christmas chick flick in which the lead male was a weak tea version of a real man, all the women were blonde, and the soup kitchen was saved by a generous donation from a large corporation. I hate TV.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

HankB

• friend
Re: #1 Threat to Humanity: Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
So I gather you missed the part where they determined that the main cause of climate change was that folks like us had too much money, and the only solution was to transfer a good chunk of it from our pockets to Algore & Associates in return for imaginary "carbon credits" which would avert the catastrophe?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
So, what caliber for roaming armadillos?  If they make it to Seattle, I want to be ready.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
I would argue that if global warming or 'climate change' were real, that it is out of pure arrogance that the left will call it the 'end of the world.'

If the average temperatures rose 5-10 degrees, it might really suck if you live in NYC, Boston, or LA, but the people living inland would see longer growing seasons and be able to cultivate more valuable crops. Canadians and Northern Asians would gain a huge advantage as well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
So, what caliber for roaming armadillos?  If they make it to Seattle, I want to be ready.
.22 is quite adequate.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: #1 Threat to Humanity: Climate Change
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
I would argue that if global warming or 'climate change' were real, that it is out of pure arrogance that the left will call it the 'end of the world.'

If the average temperatures rose 5-10 degrees, it might really suck if you live in NYC, Boston, or LA, but the people living inland would see longer growing seasons and be able to cultivate more valuable crops. Canadians and Northern Asians would gain a huge advantage as well.
Indeed. I don't care how far it warms up, the planet would still be right where it is.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:25 PM »
They may be right.  One of the main reasons Britain and France fought so many wars during the middle ages was due to the the British importing cheap wine into France.  (True!!!)

And how do we know that "warmer" isn't "normal" ??

We know that the dinosaurs roamed the earth for millions of years when it was "warmer".

There was the Medieval Warm Period when grapes were grown in Britain and the resulting wine was able to be shipped to France and sold cheaper then French wine.  (Resulting in many disagreements between the Frogs and the Brits).  

How are they so sure they are right?  And more specifically that the "solutions" they propose will stop Sunspots?

(And MrsSmith, I highly recommend getting rid of TV.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
What caliber for TV ?    :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »

Didn't Elvis harvest one with a .38spl snubby?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »

Call me back when we're raking in bumper crops in Greenland.

Save the starving Vikings:  raise global temperatures.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

Detcord. ;)

♪ "Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, and build you a home.
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own..." ♫
"It's good, though..."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »

welcome to a sucky climate, here is your ice axe
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
whenever I hear #1 threat to humanity i think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keP4MBI1taY

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »

But how is she going to watch Honey Boo-Boo with no TV?  :laugh:

I have met several people who are convinced the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is going to happen in the very near future if we don't give Al Gore money and power to combat it. They believe that fraudulent enviropimp even though his own lifestyle is anything but enviromentally friendly in any real sense of the word.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »
But how is she going to watch Honey Boo-Boo with no TV?  :laugh:

I have met several people who are convinced the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is going to happen in the very near future if we don't give Al Gore money and power to combat it. They believe that fraudulent enviropimp even though his own lifestyle is anything but enviromentally friendly in any real sense of the word.

Plus, there are so many other sources for wacko theories.  The internet is way worse. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
H2 is my usual background noise while I'm at the computer.

They're doing their "21 days to apocalypse" currently: most of what they're spewing is just funny

Can't wait until the 22nd
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
I had to change the channel and watched the last 30 minutes of a Hallmark Christmas chick flick in which the lead male was a weak tea version of a real man, all the women were blonde, and the soup kitchen was saved by a generous donation from a large corporation. I hate TV.

Why do you hate blondes and metrosexuals?  :rofl:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

.22 lr will get the job done but I like to be creative when I can. .45-70 loaded with a 425 gr lead flat point from 10 yards is impressive if you can get an end to end shot. A field point centered n the head will also result in a good kill but the 'dillo might jump 4' straight up.

As to eating them, since they are known to carry leprosy, no thanks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Recipe  ???

:lol:

Cook it good.  They carry leprosy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »
What caliber for TV ?    :lol:

7.62x39 in bulk does fine.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:43:34 PM by lee n. field »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
.22 lr will get the job done but I like to be creative when I can. .45-70 loaded with a 425 gr lead flat point from 10 yards is impressive if you can get an end to end shot. A field point centered n the head will also result in a good kill but the 'dillo might jump 4' straight up.

As to eating them, since they are known to carry leprosy, no thanks.

More worthless creatures to shoot  >:D

.30-30  works on most everything  =)

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
With Al Gore mentioned prominently in the opening thread, I think I'll pass on any TV propaganda on this subject.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »
They may be right.  One of the main reasons Britain and France fought so many wars during the middle ages was due to the the British importing cheap wine into France.  (True!!!)

I did some reading a while back, into the Norse legend of Fimbulwinter.  There's some suspicion that it comes from a climate transition that happened in the 6 or 7 hundreds BC (about the time of the Israelite deportation to Babylon).  Prior to that time the climate in northern Europe was warm enough that they were growing grapes in Sweden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Bronze_Age#Climate
The Nordic Bronze Age was characterized by a warm climate that began with a climate change around 2700 BC (comparable to that of present-day central Germany and northern France). The warm climate permitted a relatively dense population and good farming, for example grapes were grown in Scandinavia at this time. However a small change in climate between 850 BC and 760 BC and a more radical one around 650 BC brought in a deteriorating, wetter and colder climate (sometimes believed to have given rise to the legend of the Fimbulwinter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03QcymdCtg

Always a good recommendation.