Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101099 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »
Bleepin' amazing. Meanwhile, how many of us have purchased in direct response to this? I have not. I figure I have what I need.

I confess -- I ordered some 30-round AR-15 magazines. Not a lot, but a few more never hurts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
I'm really debating whether or not I want to sell my AR.

I think I'm going to be debating with myself for awhile to see where things go.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Midway still had a fewer complete (AR) upper assemblies

Midway is flat out of the one thing I might pick more of up now, Glock 17 and 19 magazines.  Except for 10-rounders.   ;/

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
I'm tempted, too, but only because I think I could make a modest profit on it and I don't seriously expect them to be banned.  With the demand so high I think I could turn a quick $100 on my AR, but I'm not gung-ho about selling it in general.

I have been selling off part of my pistol collection, only because I went a little overboard earlier this year when I was flush with cash from a contract and ended up with way more than I should.  However, none of them hold more than 8 rounds.  I'm holding on to my "hi-caps."  I also think I have plenty of mags, five or six for each pistol and ten for my AR.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
Even SAA is charging $30 for gen 2 magpul mags now.   :facepalm:
http://www.surplusammo.com/ar-15-style/

Primary Arms is showing out of stock across the board, except on like one brand of 20 round mags.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:25:02 PM by Jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
If you've sold all your inventory how can you not have $ to pay the rent?  =D

America, what a country.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
Maybe the guy is deep in debt and hasn't broken even yet.  Maybe he needs to stock more Les Baers.  =)
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
If you've sold all your inventory how can you not have $ to pay the rent?  =D

America, what a country.

You can this month, but if you can't replace that inventory to sell next month...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
Ahhhh, yea, that would suck quite a bit.  =(

280plus

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
As you can see Obama kicked the ball down the road and put Joe Biden in charge. That's it, put an idiot in charge. That'll fix things.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:55:32 PM by Monkeyleg »

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
You can this month, but if you can't replace that inventory to sell next month...
Ahhhh, yea, that would suck quite a bit.

With the AWB coming and lack of inventory these guys are in trouble. It sucks to......they are good people !

The problem.......It's a small shop that only deal in AR-15 parts.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.  :facepalm:

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
From Illinoiscarry: The owner of Gat Guns said it is the busiest his store has been since the 1968 riots, almost out of AR-15 styled rifles. Pretty crazy.

So went to Gat Guns for the first time Tuesday, it was packed, thought it was kind of odd for a Tuesday night. There was a long line of about 100 people upstairs, I wasn't sure what it was for at first but it was people picking up gun purchases. I talked to one employee that stated the owner told him it is the busiest the store has been since the '68 riots, busier then when the Clinton ban was being enacted, busier than either time Obama was elected. I was there for 2 hours and the line did not shrink at all.

As I browsed the sales floor it was clear there were way more people looking to buy guns then there were employees to sell them. I went by the AR15 style rifle section and there were about a dozen people looking to buy and 1 guy working. One customer was getting frustrated because they didn't have the model he wanted and the clerk said "Sir I'm sorry but we have sold more ARs in the last 3 days than we have ever sold in in any 3 day period since I have been working here, what we have on display is all we have left there is no back stock." They had about 10 AR15 styled rifles left and they appeared to be some oddball models. Same story by the semi-autos. A customer was looking for a specific model of XDM I believe and the clerk said "I'm sorry but we don't have any back stock, every gun we have is out on display. Normally we have at least 5 of each gun we have on display in the back but we only have whats on display"  The clerk said it was the first time he had seen that happen.

Just glad I'm a little ahead on that game.

Maybe this wouldn't be a good time to be selling off the Bersa .45 and ordering the XDS.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:39:38 PM by lee n. field »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »

With the AWB coming and lack of inventory these guys are in trouble. It sucks to......they are good people !

The problem.......It's a small shop that only deal in AR-15 parts.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.  :facepalm:

Or, never rely on small inventories and "just in time" delieveries of a product that is subject to runs of purchases.

Ought to have had either significant inventory to be able to make a significant profit during a run or diversified. Hopefully they survive and learn a lesson.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
Long before any of this mess happened, I had intended to purchase a bunch of G17 mags and PMAGS this week. (bonus check coming from work.)  It's looking like the cheapest I'll be able find those G17 mags is ~$30+ tax locally. 

After doing some test driving (and really liking) the Walther PPQ a couple weeks ago, I was strongly considering getting one.  However, I am now taking a wait-and-see attitude.  Before the recent unpleasantness, mags were already over $40, and I don't feel like hunting for more in a scarce market. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah, I'd say a run is underway!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/guns-out-of-stock-at-wal-mart-as-magazine-prices-surge-on.html

Focus of the article is Walmart and magazines.  Toward the end is this gem:
Gun buyers have flooded other firearms retailers too. The Hyatt Gun Shop in Charlotte, North Carolina, racked up more than $1 million in sales yesterday for the best single-day performance since the store opened in 1959, according to Justin Anderson, director of online sales. At the top of shoppers’ lists was the Bushmaster AR-15, the model of rifle used at Newtown that sells for as much as $4,000 and had almost sold out, he said.

Hyatt's is worth a trip to Charlotte just to see it. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/guns-out-of-stock-at-wal-mart-as-magazine-prices-surge-on.html

Focus of the article is Walmart and magazines.  Toward the end is this gem:

$4,000 for Bushmaster AR? Bestill my heart and tell me they're including other mfgs high end guns.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »

Focus of the article is Walmart and magazines.  Toward the end is this gem:

I'll be checking the local Wally World after work, in about an hour.

----edit to add---

WM here (them and the farm store would be the main sources in town for ammo) shows no sign of panic or reduced stock.  Plenty of Fudd guns in the case.  I'll wait until after Christmas to do anything about a shotgun.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:29:39 PM by lee n. field »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
This afternoon I took a short drive to my local Academy Sports. Last time I was there there were a bunch of ARs and Sig Sauer 556s, plus various .22 caliber versions of these guns.
Today, NADA. ZIP. ZILTCH. Shotguns and bolt actions and lever actions, yes.
Plus the ammo shelves were pretty bare, though they did have some Federal 5.56mm. on the shelf.
It's a real phenomenon.
I didn't buy anything as I really don't need anything.
I talked briefly with one clerk I recognize there, who appeared rather flustered at the amount of business they'd done and that they had no more ARs to sell customers.....briefly got onto politics & Obama but I guess he didn't want to go there so I let that go.
Some interesting times await us.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
That makes me think this weekend might be a good time to pull out the old Armalite I have and see if I can sell it.  I haven't shot it in years.  I have collected better AR's since.  I think it was around $700 back in the late 90's.  It is a ban model.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
$4G for a bushy? Anyone want to buy mine?APS deal of the day - $3500  ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
I think Saturday may be a god day to set up some targets down at the backyard range and function check the AR and my mags.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Almost makes me want to sell the A2 lower I assembled in anticipation of my .50BMG upper arriving. Almost.

I did a quick search on Midwayusa. They have 557 entries for "magazines by gun make and model". Of those, 59 are no longer available, and 249 are out of stock/backordered.

So what do they have?

An excess of name brand pistol mags. The cheapest of the cheap manufacturers of pistol mags, some bolt rifle mags and I think I saw one G3 magazine entry. Others include low capacity .22 and mini-14 magazines and a few oddities included a 90 dollar accuracy international rifle mag, and a 20 rounder for the H&K SL-8. The only entry I saw that could fall into the evil standard capacity category, was a single 20 round offering from ProMag for the Saiga in 7.62x39mm. Talk about cleaned the hell out.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
I'll admit that I very seriously considered buying some more Glock 17 mags and AR mags for my FNC.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
Almost makes me want to sell the A2 lower I assembled in anticipation of my .50BMG upper arriving. Almost.

I did a quick search on Midwayusa. They have 557 entries for "magazines by gun make and model". Of those, 59 are no longer available, and 249 are out of stock/backordered.

So what do they have?

An excess of name brand pistol mags. The cheapest of the cheap manufacturers of pistol mags, some bolt rifle mags and I think I saw one G3 magazine entry. Others include low capacity .22 and mini-14 magazines and a few oddities included a 90 dollar accuracy international rifle mag, and a 20 rounder for the H&K SL-8. The only entry I saw that could fall into the evil standard capacity category, was a single 20 round offering from ProMag for the Saiga in 7.62x39mm. Talk about cleaned the hell out.

I've got a order from Midway inbound including a couple of AR Stoner  ar-15 mags on a whim. I was going to get 4 but the website would only let me order 2. Order placed yesterday morning early.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »
I have had two different gun shops tell me that they can't get guns because their distributors have sold out.

I'm not shopping, just checking. The shop I visited today is run by two retired police officers and I wanted to get their view on how the average police officer might be feeling right now regarding gun bans. They said they think the vast majority of police officers DON'T want to see "civilians" disarmed -- but I'm having a hard time accepting that, even from two of the (former) boys in blue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design